Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Oil For A 2Tg Modified Engine.....

BrianGT

Many moons ago I used to be a Toyota mechanic.....back in the days when you could fix them with a penknife and a bit of string and the std oil was 20-50 mineral oil.

30 years later and picking up the tools again having restored a TA22 I'm wondering what oil to use.

The engine has Group A cams, 45 Dellorto's, 4 branch exhaust and is lightened and balanced so it can rev a bit...

The new oil terminology scares me rigid!!! :blink: 5-30 seems like water to me!

At the moment I am using Millers classic 20-50 but can't help wondering if a more modern synthetic oil would be better?? And in what way?

Help please!

Thanks........Brian

post-114722-0-70002900-1321378765_thumb.

Many moons ago I used to be a Toyota mechanic.....back in the days when you could fix them with a penknife and a bit of string and the std oil was 20-50 mineral oil.

30 years later and picking up the tools again having restored a TA22 I'm wondering what oil to use.

The engine has Group A cams, 45 Dellorto's, 4 branch exhaust and is lightened and balanced so it can rev a bit...

At the moment I am using Millers classic 20-50 but can't help wondering if a more modern synthetic oil would be better?? And in what way?

Help please!

Thanks........Brian

That looks like a nice motor. The modern double ester oils have a far higher TBN(Total Bas Number) for engine wear protection along with a higher Flash point and viscosity index. Have you taken a look at the Opie Oils site as they have Motul 300V oils on very good deals. I use the 5w-30 in my Polo TDi. Tim from Opie Oils would be a very good point of call to answer questions.:thumbsup:

Help please!

Thanks........Brian

That looks like a nice motor. The modern double ester oils have a far higher TBN(Total Bas Number) for engine wear protection along with a higher Flash point and viscosity index. Have you taken a look at the Opie Oils site as they have Motul 300V oils on very good deals. I use the 5w-30 in my Polo TDi. Tim from Opie Oils would be a very good point of call to answer questions.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the compliments about the car Mistermena...it's appreciated!

I did look on the Opie Oils Forum here but didn't find anything relating to a really old engine but I will give them an email and ask for advice about modern oils...I'll also checkout the website.

Seems like lower viscosity synthetic oils still offer way better protection.....I'm going to do some reading up on it!

Cheers mate........Brian

Help please!

Thanks........Brian

I did look on the Opie Oils Forum here but didn't find anything relating to a really old engine but I will give them an email and ask for advice about modern oils...I'll also checkout the website.

Seems like lower viscosity synthetic oils still offer way better protection.....I'm going to do some reading up on it!

Cheers mate........Brian

No probs Brian :thumbsup:

There is an American site (That I did have saved on my last computer until the hard drive packed in) that is amazing. They test all the oils and publish the data. I'll see if my mate Acetip can direct me to it and I'll let you know. :thumbsup:

Hmmmmmmmmm! Just been doing some reading up on the subject and it seems modern oils aren't recommended for classic cars by many people including some oil manufacturers.

It seems Millers do a 25-50 semi synthetic designed for classic car engines of the 60/70's that are modified.....so I think I will order some of that and see how I get on.

Has anyone by chance used this or something similar? I want to keep this car for life and so I want to treat her well.......

Brian

Help please!

Thanks........Brian

Cheers mate........Brian

No probs Brian :thumbsup:

There is an American site (That I did have saved on my last computer until the hard drive packed in) that is amazing. They test all the oils and publish the data. I'll see if my mate Acetip can direct me to it and I'll let you know. :thumbsup:

Thanks Mistermena once again! I am interested in learning about this as it is something that just passed me by!

Hmmmmmmmmm! Just been doing some reading up on the subject and it seems modern oils aren't recommended for classic cars by many people including some oil manufacturers.

It seems Millers do a 25-50 semi synthetic designed for classic car engines of the 60/70's that are modified.....so I think I will order some of that and see how I get on.

Has anyone by chance used this or something similar? I want to keep this car for life and so I want to treat her well.......

Brian

I have heard that the synth oils can make the engine start to use oil. The reason being is that the detergent package is so good that it gets rid od the carbon deposits off the rings. But I'm guessing that this might not be the case if the engine has had a complete rebuild. I'd be inclinded to email Castrol and Millers to see what thet suggest. :thumbsup:

Brian

I have heard that the synth oils can make the engine start to use oil. The reason being is that the detergent package is so good that it gets rid od the carbon deposits off the rings. But I'm guessing that this might not be the case if the engine has had a complete rebuild. I'd be inclinded to email Castrol and Millers to see what thet suggest. :thumbsup:

Thank you for the time you are taking with this...it's appreciated!

Yes...I'm going to call Millers tomorrow and ask their advice. It has been totally rebuilt so it should be clean enough and I do use Millers additives so they owe me some free advice! :lol:

Brian

Thank you for the time you are taking with this...it's appreciated!

Yes...I'm going to call Millers tomorrow and ask their advice. It has been totally rebuilt so it should be clean enough and I do use Millers additives so they owe me some free advice! :lol:

Happy days. The guys at Brighouse really know there stuff. They were great with me years ago when I had a problem with my engine. So they offered me a free oil analysis that showed up the problem. Let us know how you get on mate :thumbsup:

I called Millers today and spoke with a very helpful chap in Technical.....

I asked for the best oil for my circumstances and he pointed me to Classic Sport 20-50 which is a semi synthetic oil but has all the preservatives like zinc that my engine needs. He said the Classic std 20-50 I was already using was good enough but if I wanted a little bit more then the Sport version would be that little bit better.

I also asked about their fully Synthetic 20-60 advertised for classic modified engines but he said unless I had 200bhp then the semi synthetic would be more than adequate......I've a bit to go yet before I hit 200bhp!!

He also said not to use modern 5-30 oils in the car as they would not give enough protection due to additives missing that can't be put in because of catalysers etc....that advice was for their own oils as well as other brands.

Well worth the chat as I want to enjoy this car for life......... :yahoo:

I asked for the best oil for my circumstances and he pointed me to Classic Sport 20-50 which is a semi synthetic oil but has all the preservatives like zinc that my engine needs. He said the Classic std 20-50 I was already using was good enough but if I wanted a little bit more then the Sport version would be that little bit better.

I also asked about their fully Synthetic 20-60 advertised for classic modified engines but he said unless I had 200bhp then the semi synthetic would be more than adequate......I've a bit to go yet before I hit 200bhp!!

He also said not to use modern 5-30 oils in the car as they would not give enough protection due to additives missing that can't be put in because of catalysers etc....that advice was for their own oils as well as other brands.

Sounds like a bit of a result. If there isn't enough additives in the modern engine oils and you need ones that have high Zinc ect then I'm not sure (But worth a look at) have a look at the Motul 300V oils that are on sale at Opie Oils. Tim there would be able to help you on this one.

Sounds like a bit of a result. If there isn't enough additives in the modern engine oils and you need ones that have high Zinc ect then I'm not sure (But worth a look at) have a look at the Motul 300V oils that are on sale at Opie Oils. Tim there would be able to help you on this one.

Thanks! I'll have a look at the site because millers don't sell directly so it may be a way of getting the stuff!

I live in a village and when you ask for oil it's "Diesel or petrol mate?" :lol:

Thanks! I'll have a look at the site because millers don't sell directly so it may be a way of getting the stuff!

I live in a village and when you ask for oil it's "Diesel or petrol mate?" :lol:

Take a look at this stuff...

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-6516-motul-classic-oil-20w-50-from-1950.aspx

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links