Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1Zz And 3Zz Crank?

Steven252

As the title really, im reading conflicting info on the internet about the two crankshafts being the same between the 3zz and the 1zz. If this is the case then my 1zz conversion becomes a lot more simple as i wont have to pull the lump out.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Also if they are different can i use the 3zz crank with 1zz rods and pistons? It would make my life alot easier if i could just pull the head off and change these over as i can do that in a day rather than 2/3days it would take to get the lot on the floor :thumbsup:

Not the same -

1ZZ - Stroke 91.5

2ZZ - Stroke 85

3ZZ - Stroke 81.5.

Some tuners have used 1ZZ crank with 2ZZ pistons and called it 3ZZ. It is not the same.

See Wiki for standard specs from Toyota.

Kev

Not the same at all. The 1zz crankshaft is huge compared to the 3zz and 4zz crankshafts.

Take a look at my thread. I have a pic of the 1zz crankshaft.

I thought this would be the case, and im looking at around £500 in parts... Do i spend the extra and 2zz it for 190bhp... Hmmm

Or probably sell your car and buy a T-Sport. Much safer (no mods etc), guarranted result and less money to be spend by you.

Or probably sell your car and buy a T-Sport. Much safer (no mods etc), guarranted result and less money to be spend by you.

Yes but every tom ***** and harry can do this ;) not alot of people can build a car :)

I do fancy a facelift T sport and a celica 190 at some point, so theyll replace the little E11 once they become "sheding" (>£1000) money. At the moment im saving to put a deposit on a FT-86 as a second car, once they finially get released :D i havent been this interested in ANY new car until i heard about them 3/4 years ago!!

Just drop a new engine and ecu in there? lol

There are 3 options i can do;

1) i can get hold of all the equipment needed to convert my 3zz to a 1zz for about 700 pounds, thats including:

(all new parts)

timing chain and tensioner,

oil pump,

water pump,

complete engine gasket set,

crank,

rods,

pistons,

engine bearings,

piston rings,

blocked bored and honed,

1zz inlet,

1zz fuel rail and injectors,

1zz throttle body.

the whole engine then would be completely over hauled and would be basically brand new, i could do this in a week easily.

2) would be to get a complete 1zz engine and instal it - a reconditioned unit (like for like) would set me back between 900-1000 pounds. this would take me 2 days to swop out.

3) i could spend a little more at about 1200-1500 for a reconditioned 2zz engine, but id have to get a complete lump with all engine mounts, gearbox, ecu and a couple of other items. i could do the swop again in 2 days, HOWEVER the issue with this route is the wiring/electronics. i would have to completely rewire the cars ecu and then have the car go into toyota for they keys to be coded for the new ecu. also i would need a whole new exhaust system as the 3zz system would be to restrictive. all this takes time and money so they car would be off the road for some time.

decisions decisions :rolleyes:

I oversized my engine with the following:

1zz pistons

1zz piston rings

1zz connecting rods

1zz crankshaft

1zz bearings

1zz head gasket

1zz intake manifold

1zz throttle body

I kept my 1.4 fuel injectors, my sparkplugs, my ECU and all the rest of the staff you are mentioning like fuel pump, oil pump etc.

It works just fine.

I kept my 1.4 fuel injectors, my sparkplugs, my ECU and all the rest of the staff you are mentioning like fuel pump, oil pump etc.

It works just fine.

my poor E11 will be hitting 150k by the end of the month, not that she's showing it :D so id imagine the bores will be very close to the outer factory tolerances, in regards to piston ring measurements. so it'll more than likely need a 0.25 rebore and matching piston rings.

i looked through the vast service history i have for it, and the timing chain was last done at 60k, now i find it weird that the owner didn't have this redone at 120k, as he's had everything else done to it as per the book at a toyota main dealer. BUT i don't have a invoice for it so i have to assume its not been done and i will change this at the same time. again water pump was done at 60k and the oil pumps never been done. i would only be doing them as a precaution and there cheep enough parts to warrant doing them whilst the engine is out.