Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Member Needs Advice! :)

mikehudson

Hi all!

I've just sold my Honda and I'm very keen to buy a Corolla T Sport. I've been a viewed one already but it was making a funny noise when engine braking so I thought I'd leave that one alone.

I've arranged a viewing of another one this afternoon but I'm not 100% sure about it (Mainly due to milage). If anyone can offer some advice I'd be very greatful.

Here's the background of the car:

85K miles

2 Owners from new (First a man, then his wife.. same address whole life)

Full service history + Owners manual + Reciepts + MOTs

Apparently excellent condition

If anyone knows of anything that is likely to go wrong with 85K on the clock or anything I need to watch out for it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mikehudson

• Uber_Luke

• corollat3sport

• ryan corolla

Hi Mike, car sounds ok, I would take it for a good test drive and see what you think.

Welcome to the TOC :thumbsup:

I have a 2004 (54) on 78k miles...

Not had any major issues with mine :thumbsup:

Mines on 85,000 miles, so far needed new clutch and one wheel bearing.

Just make sure to try all the buttons/switches, check everything works, look for obvious damage (When I bought mine I found out that every Toyota should have a little barcode sticker on every panel if it is all original) and when driving it check that the engine pulls well in each gear and of course, check that the lift kicks in after 6,200 revs!

other than that, trust your gut.

good luck!!

Ok guys cheers for the extra info, given me a bit more confidence hearing you've got on well with your cars.

The one I went to see the day I posted this turned out to be a shed but I'm going to see another one this week which is a 54 reg, 85K 1 previous owner and full history..

Quick question.. If lift doesn't kick in at 6K rpm .. should I be very worried?

Cheers guys

The engine needs to be up to temperature....usually takes 5-10 minutes to be warm, then it should kick in at 6,200 in all gears. If the engine is warm and it doesn't kick in...walk away.

The noise your on about under engine braking could be the gearbox they are noisy on these.

Mine does it has done since I owned it, had it two and a half years, fully serviced 77000 runs great only issue so far was new brakes all round and new hoses, give any you look at a good going over brake wise these things eat brakes. B)

I have a 53 plate PFL on 113k, owned for 5 years, had 1 issue with it which was a new heater matrix at 90k, apparently a commonish issue so be sure to check the climate works fully.

Other than that it has been the most reliable, best all round car i have ever owned and will be sorry to see it go when i move on hopefully next year.

Some people say they use a lot of oil but i have not experienced this, it has just recently flown through another MOT.

Oh one other common issue is the driver side window can become loose/rattley, i assume it can happen all round but the driver side gets used most.

All in all a great car from my experience apart from Toyota prices, but hey trips there are uncommon.

Good luck.

I've helped a couple of people buy these recently and it was scary how many had low oil levels, not a good thing on a high revving engine. I would walk straight away.

Also the seat pins on the 3drs were causing people issues on some cars, i'm assuming Mr T didnt recall them all :unsure:

The noise your on about under engine braking could be the gearbox they are noisy on these.

Mine does it has done since I owned it, had it two and a half years, fully serviced 77000 runs great only issue so far was new brakes all round and new hoses, give any you look at a good going over brake wise these things eat brakes. B)

Hmm, I was worried that it was the gearbox (it was the reason I walked away) It was a grindy rattle sort of noise when engine braking. It was loudest when in 1st and got quieter the higher the gear you were in.. does that sound like yours? .. It was also kind of audible even when just accelerating too :\

Hi mate, what area you live in?

Leamington Spa, Warwickshire :)

I've helped a couple of people buy these recently and it was scary how many had low oil levels, not a good thing on a high revving engine. I would walk straight away.

Also the seat pins on the 3drs were causing people issues on some cars, i'm assuming Mr T didnt recall them all :unsure:

Hey, yea I'd heard about the seat pins braking. Thinking back, I think the 2 that I have already viewed didn't roll forwards when you pull the leaver so I'm assuming same issue? .. and as for the oil, if the oil level is low when I view the car you reckon it's best to leave it yea?

Cheers everyone for all the info! Especially for clearing up the issue of lift not kicking in. I wasn't sure whether it was a massive issue to resolve as someone told me even if the oil isn't good enough quality the car won't lift but if you change the oil it would? I dno.. I'll be taking all you lots advice though.

Any more common faults or stories of your experiences with the T Sport would be greatly appreciated though.

Cheers, Mike.

I live near Worcester. Let me know if your viewing any in the area and if you need an extra set of eyes when viewing.

Luke

I live near Worcester. Let me know if your viewing any in the area and if you need an extra set of eyes when viewing.

Luke

Cheers pal, really appreciate that. I'm looking at one tomorrow (Silver, 54 plate, 85K, full history, 1 prev owner) .. It's 40 miles in derby direction from my house though so a bit out of the way for you lol :P

and as for the oil, if the oil level is low when I view the car you reckon it's best to leave it yea?

Cheers, Mike.

If someone has a high revving car and they dont check the oil i wouldnt want to buy it, even worse if the seller doesnt check it and is trying to sell the car! What else do they not bother to maintain?

finally sold of the civic then, BTW its jdmcorolla from the meet at Leamington if your confused laugh.gif

hows the video coming along?...cant wait to see it :D

you have come to the right place for advice il tell you that

good luck on your purchase Mike and im sure really soon you will be enjoying lift!!!!

and im defo having a go at the next meet i see you aha

all the best mate thumbsup.gif

and as for the oil, if the oil level is low when I view the car you reckon it's best to leave it yea?

Cheers, Mike.

If someone has a high revving car and they dont check the oil i wouldnt want to buy it, even worse if the seller doesnt check it and is trying to sell the car! What else do they not bother to maintain?

Yeah, that's a very good point. I'll make sure I check the oil when I view it. Do you know what type of oil is best for them, out of interest?

finally sold of the civic then, BTW its jdmcorolla from the meet at Leamington if your confused laugh.gif

hows the video coming along?...cant wait to see it :D

you have come to the right place for advice il tell you that

good luck on your purchase Mike and im sure really soon you will be enjoying lift!!!!

and im defo having a go at the next meet i see you aha

Lol you confused the crap out of me dude! Yeaaa, Civics gone :( Finding a decent Corolla for the money I have ain't proving easy. Getting a bit frustrated cause I want one NOW! :P ..

Yeah man, sounds good. Gonna get a meet organised soon on WM anyway. It's been too long, so I take it I can count on you being there yes? :D

I might let you have a go. If you say the magic word.. +bring proof of insurance ;) lolol

Nice one dude cheers the luck! Think I'm gonna need it! :P

Right guys, I went to see that one today and it seemed like a sound purchase. The guy (Mid 30's) has had it since 2005 and worked at Toyota for most of that time. Full service history (Most at Toyota), Body work is immaculate for a 7 year old car, a friend of mine who's insurance allowed it test drove it for me and he said it ran like a dream, couldn't say anything bad about it, hit lift at 6,200 rpm. Inside was very clean. The passenger seat did indeed not slide forward but I'm not too worried about that. One of the buttons for the fan speed on the dash needed a good old push to make it work but apart from that I couldn't fault the car.

Put down a deposit and collecting it toward the end of the week.

A PROJECT IS BORN!

Tsport.jpg

that looks a very nice car mate, great purchase, I have one in red, the lift gets so addictive :D

hope you enjoy it mate,

What plans have you got or is that too early?

Ryan

that looks a very nice car mate, great purchase, I have one in red, the lift gets so addictive :D

hope you enjoy it mate,

What plans have you got or is that too early?

Ryan

Cheers pal, I don't want to say it was a good purchase yet though lol! .. When I have actually picked it up and driven it for a month providing the gearbox is firing out shrapnel and the engine is still in the car.. then I will say it was a good buy ;) lol

Yea I can see how it would get addictive. Gotta try not to rag it though :\ .. 85K miles it's getting on a bit aint it? Thinking it might be a bit fragile although it seems solid at this point in time!

As for plans.. I'm open to suggestions if you got any! .. The usual lower and alloys would probably be a start. I want to do something with the exhaust but not sure what yet.

apart from that.. probably tints, lights and wind deflectors maybe?

Gimee some suggestions :P

Sorry i never replied the other day, I working night shifts all week so I wouldn't of been able to attend...sleepy time

Looks a tidy model from the outside, hope it goes well for you. As long as it has/will be(en) looked after with regular oil changes then 85k is nothing. plenty of corolla and celica 2zz engines with well over 100k on them.

Here is a picture of mine and my brothers car for you and ryan

306356_10150758208950431_874815430_20098353_3883565_n.jpg

228294_10150595932790431_874815430_18357063_1209241_n.jpg

Sorry i never replied the other day, I working night shifts all week so I wouldn't of been able to attend...sleepy time

Looks a tidy model from the outside, hope it goes well for you. As long as it has/will be(en) looked after with regular oil changes then 85k is nothing. plenty of corolla and celica 2zz engines with well over 100k on them.

No worries mate, yeah hopefully it will all go well.. seemed like as good an owner as any so I thought I'd take a punt.

Your cars look wicked in those pictures mate. Can you link me to some wind deflectors? I'm keen to get a pair of those they look good.

car looks good Mike, wind deflectors would be a great start, go with the JDM route laugh.gif...corolla's need lowering desperately so its a good thing you got springs on your list yes.gif

hows the insurance like on it?

and yes if ya arrange a WM meet im most likely going to attend :)

@ Uber_Luke - both cars look amazing, the red one needs lowering laugh.gif

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links