Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Windscreen Wipers - Any Good Ones?

cruiser007

Hi,

Do any Yaris (MK2) owners know of any good windscreen wipers that are not noisy or leave streaks or smears? I purchased Bosch Super Plus+ blades last year and have found them to be rubbish, even when they were one month old!

I want to purchase something better this year, perhaps the flat blades that are said to fit the curve of the windscreen better than the standard type.

Cheers folks :thumbsup:

The Toyota ones are okay and are pretty cheap.

A few people were gushing about the PIA silicon wipers a while back; They're a lot more expensive but supposedly last a lot longer and clear water and stuff a lot better than standard rubber ones...

I got some of the flat blade type off eBay on both my cars cost about £7.00, been on over a year now and still working fine.

Even if you get a set a year it wont break the bank

Yep - PIAA silicone wipers.

They are the bees knees. Yes they are expensive - and anyone who hasn't tried them doesn't understand the benefit they bring - but once you've bought them you'll never entertain anything else.

Firstly, they do last for years - ours have been fitted to both our 3 year old Yarii from new and they're still as good as new.

But the real benefit is that they put a film onto the screen so that water beads off. In really bad rain, you can just see right through. So much clearer and safer.

Others debate how cheap wipers are and how some squeak and some judder - but no other brand clears the rain like the PIAA impregnated siicone rubber blades do...

PIAA don't actually make wipers to fit my A3, so I've bought "rubber refills" for the PIAA wipers and made them fit into my A3 aerofoil Wiper Blades because of the benefit they bring...

My son (who has never known anything else) though the wipers on a hire car we were in were broken because he couldn't believe how bad the visibility was with standard wipers....

On christmas eve the other year, the wipers in my A3 broke. Because of the beading, I drove 80 miles down the M6 in driving rain at nortmal motorway speeds without any wipers at all and I could see as clearly as if it wasn't raining. My only troubles started when I arrived at the end of the M55 near Blackpool and my speed dropped down to 30mph - and the speed wasn't quite fast enough to clear the rain off the screen without any wipers working at all....

Get PIAA and you'll never look back....

I only ever get the Toyota wipers, as I'm happy enough with them. The last long, don't leave streaks, aren't noisy and they're cheap. Years ago my parents got aftermarket wipers from a car parts shop, they scored into the glass. The lesson was learnt.

I only ever get the Toyota wipers, as I'm happy enough with them. The last long, don't leave streaks, aren't noisy and they're cheap. Years ago my parents got aftermarket wipers from a car parts shop, they scored into the glass. The lesson was learnt.

Glass is harder than rubber or sythetic.suggest the blades could have not been fitted properly.

Thanks for your help and advice folks, those silicone wipers sound interesting, i've always wondered why most manufactures keep using rubber when silicone is better. Although if silicone leaves a film on the screen does it affect the clarity of the screen at night - i.e look blurry or smeary when viewing oncoming headlights?

:thumbsup:

I use Rain-X or similar on the side windows and that makes a real difference, but if you use any of the liquid treatments on the windscreen then yes you do get slight smearing but not with the PIAA wipers....

Glass is harder than rubber or sythetic.suggest the blades could have not been fitted properly.

It may be harder but it scratches very easily. Maybe these cheaper wipers attracted grit which then scored the screen.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm with alfiejts on this one!

I've bought my PIAA blades a couple of years ago and they are AMAZING! They cost me about £60 at the time for front and rear but over the course of two years they have saved me time, money and filled me with confidence.

I've bought Bosch ones previously which not only cost a packet but didn't last long at all either!

These PIAA ones, cor' blimey Guv! I can happily overtake lorries on the motorway in the wet and the spray from their wheels doesn't bother me one bit now as it just beads off. In fact, at high speeds, I often don't use them at all because I don't need to!

The cost of them is pricy which is why a lot of people don't buy them and why big manufacturers don't stump up for them (don't forget that rubber ones makes the manufacturer more money in the long run too! Same argument applies to chain and rubber cam belts) but if you get some you'll never look back.

In fact, I'll bet you a fiver you'll be damned pleased you did.

Mine doesn't smear, make any noise and when I do use them they clean the screen beautifully!

My only word of advice would be not to use them when there is ice or snow on your windshield as it'll shread them and that'll be an expensive mistake so always use your ice scraper!

Hope I've helped.

• 1 month later...

In the USA...

Definitely the best Wiper Blades for the Yaris are the Trico NeoForms. In fact, they are one of the only beam blade style Wiper Blades that come in 14" for the passenger side. Many of you may be frustrated like I was because they were pretty much sold out across the country since November. I just received an email from Wipers123 stating that they were back in stock in limited quantities so I thought I'd spread the word (of course selfishly after ordering mine for my Yaris and my FJ Cruiser - I wanted to make sure I get some first). Basically wanted to spread the word.

@CRRP - Where did you get the rears from? I can only find the left and right fronts for the Yaris Mk1 :unsure:

I'm gonna try a set once my existing stock Toyota ones wear out, but it's like they heard me because they're hanging on annoyingly well! :lol:

They're useless unless it's properly raining so I have to give it a blast from the washers but then it's all good.

I got a replacement Mk1 rear rubber section from my local dealer for only £4.

I had to reuse the thin metal strips from the old one but it was only a 5 minute job.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Do any Yaris (MK2) owners know of any good windscreen wipers that are not noisy or leave streaks or smears? I purchased Bosch Super Plus+ blades last year and have found them to be rubbish, even when they were one month old!

I want to purchase something better this year, perhaps the flat blades that are said to fit the curve of the windscreen better than the standard type.

Cheers folks :thumbsup:

Hello, cruiser007

I fitted a pair of these, = http://www.wiperblades.co.uk/toyota-yaris-years-2005-to-2012/aeroblade-wb5-24-retrofit-flat-and-aeroblade-wb5-15-retrofit-flat-twin-pack-wiper-blades/

I have had them for approx 18 months, they have proved to be much quieter than the Toyota blades and clear the screen better without any skipping, I can Recommend.

• 4 months later...

one of my pet hates is noisey crappy wipers! try these simple but very effective methods that i use and you should be noise free! 1) steer clear of pricey wipers. most of the wipers are made by Bosch anyway but just packaged in different boxes. I know this because i work in the printing trade and we print them all for one company. 2) clean the rubber of the blade weekly with vinegar or lemon. 3) use glass cutter to clean the glass instead of the normal green window cleaner. 4) there is a product on the market but i cant remember what its called. I got it from morrisons petrol station. Its a really small bottle and its orange. Its the dogs nuts. put it in the washer bottle and your wipers are judder free and smear free instantly! 4) have you tried Rainex?? this may sound crazy but over 40mph, you dont need your wipers on, even in the most wettest conditions. Hope these hints help you and happy motoring!

1) steer clear of pricey wipers. most of the wipers are made by bosch anyway but just packaged in different boxes. I know this because i work in the printing trade and we print them all for one company.

You may be right, but just because some things are made by the same company does not mean they are the same.

One company makes most of the own brand detergents for the big supermarkets, but they all have their own formulations and are definitely not the same.

Am now packing the PIAAs, had them for a while now - Gotta say, they are !Removed! good wipers :thumbsup:

They are very good at actually moving the rain off the windscreen, and as they are laying down layers of silicone after a few uses the rain just beads up and even in a torrential downpour you can see very clearly!

I will say tho', it's not worth buying the arm - Just buy the blade replacement (Get a massive one and chop it to size!) and stick it on the existing blade as it's actually less hassle (I bought the arms but could only fit one originally as they had the wrong clips and I broke one trying to transfer them over from the old ones. The seller had a heck of a time getting hold of replacements for me! Also, I didn't realise the rear wiper on a Yaris has a totally different fit so if anyone needs an empty 12" standard wiper holder let me know :lol:)

PIAA blades are the best. God this is an old topic and my PIAA blades are still going strong!

lol.... Just came onto the forum to see what was going on and found this thread still going strong....

I am the man who brought PIAA wipers to the TOC forum all those years ago.....

Glad to see this thread still going and a few converts still backing them.

I too use the refills more than buying the full wipers - especially as I can get PIAA refills into my "Aero" blades on my A3 yet PIAA themselves don't do an Aero blade (at least they didn't last time I looked...).

The PIAA wipers I fitted to our Yaris when new in 2008 are still going strong.....

alfie! cherry! LTNS! :)

Where did everyone go? I used to come onto this forum almost every evening, but then it all went quiet......

Now I only pop on once a month or so to see if anything's going on and nothing much ever seems to be.....

Perhaps its because the Yaris is so reliable tat there's nothing much to discuss....

Good to see some of the old timers are still active though.

I use Bosch wipers and just replaced my 5 year old ones for under £12.. Including all metal bits.. no fiddling around. Spending £20 on one blade makes no economic sense in my view.. that's 10 years worth of a complete set of Bosch blades!

"Perhaps its because the Yaris is so reliable tat there's nothing much to discuss"

err yes

Hi Alfie, been looking at these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Yaris-Verso-PIAA-Si-Tech-Front-Aero-Wiper-Blade-Set-Silicone-/330756756367?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4d02a3938f

avd was wondering if the outlay was worth it. (The main reason I haven't purchased the PIAA wipers in the past is that I prefer the look of the flat aero type over the conventional ones) I have been using the Bosch retro fit flat aeros for a while now at approx £25 a go and managed to get at least 18 months out of them.

Also can they be installed to windscreens that have rain repellent treatments already applied?

That's an awful lot of money. For all we've been extollign PIAA, that seems too much to spend....

The standard Audi aero wipers on my A3 use an ordinary blade within them, so I've been buying PIAA refills and fitting them into the aero housings.

For all I've been preaching about PIAA blades for the visibility they give, I've seen that many people are really happy with some of the new treatments such as Aquapel.

They had Aquapel in Costco recently so I got some for my daughter's new TTS because she didn't want to bin the Audi blades - and the results are just as good as PIAA. They reckon one coat lasts about six months.

There's certainly no smearing when you use the wiper which you do get with Rain-X....

So I'll be using Aquapel on my new A5 when it arrives next month and I'll let you guys know what I find....