Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My New Avensis

smokinmyman

Obtained the car with only one transponder Key. Have heard if this is lost we are talking big bucks. So far only solution I can find is a Toyota dealer provided spare at approx cost of £160 for new key and programming in too car. Are there any alternatives to this that you know of?

Cheers for any help you might be able to give

Guy

Big bucks or not, having only one key isn't very smart. And if you obtained a car with only one key, I suggest you change the locks and "re-programme" the necessary things to disable the old key(s). I'd change some details in the anti-theft instalation(s) too. If it's possible to make such changes on your own (not at the dealer's), that I don't know, but I wouldn't advise it anyway.

Sorry to be so nosy, but I'm wondering what's the story behind the single key... To be honest I know only two types of places where one can obtain such a car and thinking on both them... <_<

Anyway, making just a spare of the old key is IMHO a rather desperate and definitely a reckless move no matter what the story is.

Hi

Thanks for response

I have thought about the possibility of someone else having a set of keys to my car. I bought from a dealer who in turn bought it from a Toyota garge who had it as part exchange on a new sale.

I have contacted the origonal owner who says there were3 keys with it when he part ex'd it, the guy who I had it off said he only had one key with it. I have asked him to contact the garage to get the keys he says they haven't got them. I have got tje name of the Toyota garage and am currently trrying to get them to respond if this is the case, did you get all that?

Still left in a bit of an awkward situation. My only consolation is that if somone is going to go to alot of trouble to steal the car i hope they would pick a more valuable example, not a 5 and half year old.

Well, the decision is yours. As you see the disappearance of the keys was no trouble at all, despite the fact that they are one of the basic things when buying & selling a car. I don't want to go too far with my suggestions, perhaps I have a sick imagination, but I'd still suggest changing the locks etc. I think I would even do that if I had bouht a second hand car with the complete key set, just as I would give it a complete mechanical check - it's a rule to stick to if you want to avoid trouble in the future. Of course it depends on how important/valuable the car is to YOU and how much money you're prepared to spend on it.

Even if you decide just to make a copy of the original key, do it at the dealer's (it's not that dealer's or their workers are always honest, but in case of anything it's easier to track who had access to such things or to exact the quality of the service and the warranty it comes with).

My spare key cost me £140 about 2 years ago. The key has a chip in it and the ignition barrel has a small receiver chip which send a signal to your engine management system which de-activates the immobiliser. I know this cos mine packed in and just cost me £900 to replace. Gutted.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links