Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Im Confused....

RedRoss

Was travelling being a '09 plate Rav4 today - which had a spare wheel stuck on the back door?? Thought these disappeared around about 2006/07?

Surely it hasnt been sitting around in a garage for 2 years before it was registered? It was an old couple driving it too, so i doubt they have modified the car to accomodate the spare.

An import maybe??

Is it just the tailgate thats different? so will a 4.3 with wheel tailgate fit onto a 4.3 non tailgate version?

Yes it will ... I looked at doing the conversion but even using parts from a breaker it was going to cost over £900.....

Wee Charlie.

Is it just the tailgate thats different? so will a 4.3 with wheel tailgate fit onto a 4.3 non tailgate version?

I'm fairly sure you would need to change the bumper as well. The 4.3 with spare wheel has a cut-out in the rear bumper so that the top of the spare wheel doesn't completely block out the rear window.

Im sure Ive seen rav 4.3 tailgates for around £350-£400 if you get one in the right colour will it be a straight swap?

and dont forget you sell your parts also to recoupe some of the cost.

Around £360-380 just a shame its not in this country. And not your colour charlie

http://allegro.pl/klapa-tyl-rav4-06-rok-kompletna-idealna-z-kolem-i1914029149.html

Im sure Ive seen rav 4.3 tailgates for around £350-£400 if you get one in the right colour will it be a straight swap?

and dont forget you sell your parts also to recoupe some of the cost.

The car I have is Dark Blue Mica ... I'm told its a T180 colour. Finding a door is extremely hard. To find one in the right colour would nigh on impossible !!

Best price I could get was £450 delivered .. Add the cost of fitting ( I would do this element) and painting plus the odds and sods plus a rear wheel cover and it adds up quickly..

I was planning on storing the old rear door cos come sale of the car time I would have to throw in a spare wheel and tyre ( I paid 375 per wheel and tyre for the spare set) or the car would be incomplete....

Also anyone in the know may want the car standard .. I would ..... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Wee Charlie.

I wouldn't consider the swap to a rear mounted wheel a problem - in fact I'd say it was an asset - on a used RAV4 :thumbsup:

I wouldn't consider the swap to a rear mounted wheel a problem - in fact I'd say it was an asset - on a used RAV4 :thumbsup:

Definatly a plus selling point "Rare Option rear wheel mounted model" ££££££££££££££££££££ Ker---ching!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Yes Your right Jim and Jedi.. But it wouldn't be much of an asset if it didn't have a wheel mounted on it ??

I paid 1500 nicker for My winter wheels and tyres . If I do sell the car I will likely replace it with an SR so will retain the set of wheels..

It was because of the probability of a change that I decided not to do the project. Well that and the cost involved !!

Anyone find a door with all the bits attached at a sensible cost though ???????

Oh and Yes for the job to be done right the bumper has to be changed as well...

Wee Charlie.

All of your comments aside, I just don't think this was modified. It was an old couple in a car they have problem had since new!

If I do sell the car I will likely replace it with an SR so will retain the set of wheels..

Wee Charlie.

What does the SR stand for??........................................SH*T Rav? :lol:

Yes Mate or SUN ROOF less.. And no full leather............. And still no wheel carrier ......

Wee Charlie.

But it wouldn't be much of an asset if it didn't have a wheel mounted on it ??
You could buy a single wheel on eBay? Doesn't have to match the other 4 if it's just for emergency use! My spare is a 15" on the BMW and a completely different style to the 17" alloys. But there is air in the tyre and the trye is new, I can limp to a tyre place since the rolling radius is the same so I'm a happy motorist :D

But it wouldn't be much of an asset if it didn't have a wheel mounted on it ??
You could buy a single wheel on eBay? Doesn't have to match the other 4 if it's just for emergency use! My spare is a 15" on the BMW and a completely different style to the 17" alloys. But there is air in the tyre and the trye is new, I can limp to a tyre place since the rolling radius is the same so I'm a happy motorist :D

Space saver I presume. :rolleyes:

Infact what a good idea 4 x space savers would make excellent winter snow wheels :yahoo:

Thats what they use on ther RAC rally Finland snow stages.........space savers with nails in them :lol:

Some of you lot must have more money than sense, if you want a wheel on the back buy a model with one !! Spare set of Winter wheels and tyres, crikey, bit over the top. Not satisfied with the great grip and four wheel drive already.

Some of you lot must have more money than sense, if you want a wheel on the back buy a model with one !! Spare set of Winter wheels and tyres, crikey, bit over the top. Not satisfied with the great grip and four wheel drive already.

You find Me a car with the spec and a spare wheel and I will buy it ?????? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Four wheel drive gives extra traction What it does not do is give extra braking steering or cornering capability..

For some of Us getting where We need to be SAFELY is very very important.......

Wee Charlie.

Hi Redross...My XT3 was first registered in June 08 and has the spare on the tailgate and roof rails, these were reasons for me opting for the XT3 rather than an XTR. I think losing its rear mounted spare and no roof rails it has lost its ' Safari' looks. Just my opinion. :blink:

Would these rear door mods need to be reported to your insurance company? You know they'll squirm given the chance. Just imagine getting rear-ended and then they find out you fitted the bumper, door and 5th wheel?!

They'd never pay out!

Would these rear door mods need to be reported to your insurance company? You know they'll squirm given the chance. Just imagine getting rear-ended and then they find out you fitted the bumper, door and 5th wheel?!

They'd never pay out!

That is a point I considered but never bothered to ask as the cost of the job was just getting ridiculous.... But You are right I bet there would be insurance implications !!

Wee Charlie

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links