Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Sensor Is Triggering The Cel?

sheepscloth

Hi Guys

Maybe one of you can help me?

A while ago the air pump for the air injection system broke. It kept burning the 50A fuse, which triggered the CEL + disabled VSC and traction control.

Therefore I took the airpump apart and found that it was stuck and the coils totally burned out.

I then simply disconnected the airpump motor and cleared the CEL with my OBD2 reader.

After a couple of days I got the CEL again.

The fuse doesn't burn anymore so I can simply clear the CEL again and wait 2-4days until it triggers again.

Obviously it is annoying having to clear the CEL all the time.

Therefore I would like to know: what signal or sensor that triggers the CEL? Is it the Lambda sensor?

Once I know the signal that triggers the ECU I should be able to do something about it?

What buggers me is that it is not instant but comes on after a couple of days driving, so maybe it is a build up of values/readings that triggers once it reaches a certain level??

Please help me!

And please don't just suggest buying a new airpump, that is too easy.

it's the primary lambda sensor that triggers it.

You need to feed it with a high O2 signal (ie lean) for about 2-3 minutes then your problem will go away.

It's actually pretty straightforward to fool.

Im thinking of removing mine to make space for an induction kit, how straighforward is it?

it's the primary lambda sensor that triggers it.

You need to feed it with a high O2 signal (ie lean) for about 2-3 minutes then your problem will go away.

It's actually pretty straightforward to fool.

Thanks dude.

Can you be a bit more specific than "straight forward"?

Do I need to make a O2 simulator circuit like this?: http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/oxygen_sensor_simulator/

I am after a permanent fix that I can install and then forget about it

you need the signal to resemble a sine wave. about 1 cycle every 2-3 seconds should do it.

That circuit could do with a voltage regulator and then problem solved

OK

I will give it a go some day.

Is a circuit like this the only way to fool the ECU?

Also Can you explain why the CEL doesn't come on immediately, but after 3-5 days of driving?

If the coolant temperature is hot, the air pump will not come on because it assumes the cat is hot.

It registers a fault pending, then requires two more faults before it will give the CEL.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links