Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Haynes Manual Mmt Clutch

mikev78

The new haynes manual seems to have cleared up the confusion .

- manual transmission has a 181.0 mm clutch

- MMT has a 190.0 mm clutch

- The special mmt clutch pressure plate is self adjusting - for wear.

- The actuator does not have to be re -adjusted when replacing clutch

- hence if you change a mmt clutch the process is just the same for a manual - but differnet clutch assembly.

All this worry etc. about the actautor resetting from previous posts is wrong. You just remove and refitt the transmission unit(Manual or mmt)

Am I right ?

Mikev

The new haynes manual seems to have cleared up the confusion .

- manual transmission has a 181.0 mm clutch

- MMT has a 190.0 mm clutch

- The special mmt clutch pressure plate is self adjusting - for wear.

- The actuator does not have to be re -adjusted when replacing clutch

- hence if you change a mmt clutch the process is just the same for a manual - but differnet clutch assembly.

All this worry etc. about the actautor resetting from previous posts is wrong. You just remove and refitt the transmission unit(Manual or mmt)

Am I right ?

Mikev

em short answer NO......

the 190mm is the modified clutch fitted to all yaris and aygo (3 cylinders)

the mmt clutch plates are no diff from the manuals

the actuator does req adjusting also the mmt ecu needs to be reset/reprogramed

you do the above without programming you will have no drive!!!!

The problem with Haynes manuals are sometimes they will have you dismantle a complete front end of a car just to change a headlight bulb. I always find them good for a guide but they can be very long winded and confusing and are quite often wrong with there information.

• Like 1

ormi

Have you read the haynes manual for the aygo/peugeot 107. If you are right then the manual is tosh

Mikev

em no i work as a toyota tac and have done loads mmt clutches on every model and the info you have is wrong

ormi At last somebody who actually knows about the MMT box. Would be grateful for following info.

1. Has the MMT box got a separate ECU? If it has where is the diagnostic tool connected? Is it the same tool as used for the engine?

2. I have a workshop manual for the C1 2005 and it seems to show that the clutch actuator adjustment is automatic.

Is this the case?

3.I have had my 107 two years and when new and after the clutch has been reset (twice) it has very mild creep and the gear changes are very smooth. After several months the gear changes, especially 1 and 2 become very jerky.

I feel that the clutch is no longer engaging quickly and the creep has gone. If the clutch adjustment is automatic why have I had to have the actuators reset? Is this normal? I do about 6,000kms a year.

4. My car is now out of warranty and I am wondering what the cost of a reset would be?

5. I had a Corolla with MMT for five years and it had much stronger creep and the box never needed adjustment.

Can the amount of creep be set by the diagnostic tool?

There has been many postingss re the MMT box but unfortunately none by somebody who actually knows about them.

Answers to the above would I am sure be of interest to many members.

There has been many postingss re the MMT box but unfortunately none by somebody who actually knows about them.

Certainly of interest to me.

I do my own maintainence / repair.

Changing a clutch doesn't usually concern me but after reading the Haynes manual......

"Special preparation......ECU......Resetting......"etc. I'm beginning to think I won't be doing mine when the time comes.

I also note the MMT clutch plate & cover are a special matched pair.

Why? If it self adjusts? Surely my half-worn clutch plate is no longer the same thickness

as when it was new. "Something" has taken up the adjustment.

I've asked before......If I do all the clutch change myself......using an MMT matched pair.

Lets say after doing it, gears wont select / clutch doesn't work properly.

Can I then take my car to a main dealer & pay for a software update / reset?

Or could you reveal the secret "Special procedure prior to changing the clutch?

Cheers.

Ian.

Unklian

Can you quote where in the Haynes manual it says you have to reset the actuator when changing the clutch. I still read it as all the adjustment is automatic and all built into the special clutch assembly provided for the mmt. You just treat removal and replacement of the transmission unit as for the manual. - just dont play with it.

Regards

Mikev

Unklian

Can you quote where in the Haynes manual it says you have to reset the actuator when changing the clutch. I still read it as all the adjustment is automatic and all built into the special clutch assembly provided for the mmt. You just treat removal and replacement of the transmission unit as for the manual. - just dont play with it.

Regards

Mikev

You might be right......

I've just read it again, and all the warnings

relate to removal / movement of Multi-Mode ELECTRICAL components.

If you treat removal and replacement of the transmission unit as for the manual it might be OK.

It does mention......

Caution: On Multi-Mode Transmissions, the clutch friction disc and pressure plate

are a paired item and cannot be renewed seperately.

So......If, as you say, you remove the gearbox without tampering,

replace the clutch components as a pair, refit everything, it should find the biting point itself

and adjust accordingly.

Hopefully, it will work. If not, I'm sure something can be plugged in for a reset

after all the mechanical stuff has been done.

Ian.

• 2 weeks later...

ormi At last somebody who actually knows about the MMT box. Would be grateful for following info.

1. Has the MMT box got a separate ECU? If it has where is the diagnostic tool connected? Is it the same tool as used for the engine?

2. I have a workshop manual for the C1 2005 and it seems to show that the clutch actuator adjustment is automatic.

Is this the case?

3.I have had my 107 two years and when new and after the clutch has been reset (twice) it has very mild creep and the gear changes are very smooth. After several months the gear changes, especially 1 and 2 become very jerky.

I feel that the clutch is no longer engaging quickly and the creep has gone. If the clutch adjustment is automatic why have I had to have the actuators reset? Is this normal? I do about 6,000kms a year.

4. My car is now out of warranty and I am wondering what the cost of a reset would be?

5. I had a Corolla with MMT for five years and it had much stronger creep and the box never needed adjustment.

Is this the case?

ormi's helpful reply to my questions

the mmt has a seperate ecu and it is accessed through the same port as the engine ecu

Is this the case?

yes it is automatic but its not if you remove it ie when chancing a clutch...theirs a procedure for setting up the gears actuator and clutch count....

due to the low milage you do that could be the issue...do you ever use manual mode?that can help keep it all in time..

a reset will prob be around half an hours labour but phone customer services and explain the greef and the low milage and they might contrabute

no mate the creep cant be adjusted when the clutch count and gear positions are reset thats when you get the creep back

hope that helps you mate

• 4 years later...

Hi lads. I have got yaris mmt 2009. It drives ok for about 300 mls. The trouble starts as gear slips out (rear, once or twice)or pause between gears or jumps. Then I do next what is said Technical Bulletin: Installation of the MMT ECU, Initialisation of the clutch, MMT System learning and MMT system synchronisation and position calibration. After this I go another smooth 300 mls and over again. Can anybody help me with this? may I need new clutch? is there possibility to chech clutch thicknes without taking gearbox off. Or may clutch selenoid has to be greased. The car's selenoid is hydraulic. May someone have a mmt manual, or can recomend one. Thank you for support. 

• 4 years later...

My MMT has a slipping clutch. When it starts in first gear or when changing gears manually or automatically the engine revs rise to 3000+ before there is strong drive. It is a 2005 Yaris.

Any ideas? I did the clutch reset procedure but it made it worse. Is there any kind of manual adjustment?

thanks

Might be worth asking in the Yaris forum?

• 2 weeks later...

My sympathies to all who are saddled with this MMT transmission. We have been through this ourselves. Luckily we had Toyota's guarantee when it packed up and it was repaired under guarantee. We sold the car after 6 years because we knew that it was due for another MMT related problem. These last only 30000 to 40000 km even when repaired. Get rid of these MMT cars. These are time bombs in the breakdown and high cost of repair sense. Very unbecoming of Toyota otherwise a customer oriented company to saddle us with this sub par transmission.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links