Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dealer Servicing,

DavidAygo

Hi

My Aygo went in for its 2 year (major) service today. I took it to a Toyota dealership. According to the service book, the pollen filter and brake fluid ought to be replaced. The only item listed on the invoice was the oil and filter. I can see the pollen filter was not replaced, it's black.

Now is this an oversight (careless) or do they just not service according to the requirements listed in the servicing book. I even asked if this included the brake fluid change before and said I would be advised at the time.

I realise dealer servicing is expensive, but I expect to get what I think I am paying for.

Query it with the dealer for your own peace of mind.

My dealers told me the brake fluid only needed checking. I told them it says replace in the service book and I expected them to carry it out. They changed it. Speak to the service manager and ask why they haven't carried out the service you paid for.

brake fluid must be changed every two years polin filters are extra....the price of the brake fluid change is built into the service

Oh I certainly do intend to query it. The schedule state the pollen filter should be changed and no mention of optional extra as a cost

the service sheets have been revised we use the new ones at work...but the brake fluid is a must change at two years....

Many garages and mechanics tend not to bother changing the pollen filter hoping the customer won't notice. One of the biggest scams in the book.

As some pollen filters are black (contain activated carbon) to begin with just ensure yours is black with dirt before complaining.

Thanks James and Ormi

i am pretty sure the Aygos ones are not that complex. The filter itself is very thin.

Just to put forward another view here, some manufactures (and here I am thinking about VW) suggest first BFC should be 3 years and then every two yearly thereafter. But seeing as our Aygo had its second annual service just this past Summer, I pulled out the service book (p.21) clearly says that BFC should be 'replaced' - and thats every full service (i.e. 20K). So in this case, I would agree with the OP, Toyota schedule says 2YR/20K...worth asking the Dealer.

And I like to change the cabin filter every year on my cars (easy to do, inexpensive and ensures clean air) and Toyota only provide the non-carbon one (i.e. white) filter; so it should be easy to see if its been changed.

I always DIY the airbox and cabin filters; It's cheaper and dead easy to do anyway :)

Cabin filter is £7 from Eurocarparts - for that money I DIY (especially as Toyota quoted £60 for a new one fitted!).

Thanks Davey. I intend to change the air filter as I think 4 years between changes is too long, mine is black!

On querying my OP with the dealer, they stated that brake fluid is done on condition and it was their opinion that it did not need changing, and the pollen filter is an optional extra at additional cost. (The brake fluid is extra cost too, apparently!)

Thanks Davey. I intend to change the air filter as I think 4 years between changes is too long, mine is black!

On querying my OP with the dealer, they stated that brake fluid is done on condition and it was their opinion that it did not need changing, and the pollen filter is an optional extra at additional cost. (The brake fluid is extra cost too, apparently!)

thats CRAP toyota state brake fluid every 2 years!!!! ask them how they checked the condition and ask them to show you the condition of the fluid.. i am a dealer licenced tec and the fluid gets changed every two years regardless of miles....and its not an extra its inc in the price..

can i ask how much you pay'd for the service?

£195 for the 2 yr service and the invoice lists no more parts used that the 10,000 mile/ 1 year one. (just screen wash, oil, filter and sump plug.

Well, I wrote to Toyota UK, here is the reply: (Names removed for privacy)

Thank you for your letter dated 29 November 2011 and for taking the time to contact Toyota (GB) PLC.

I was interested to read your comments regarding your recent Service at 'Dealership (Placename)'. As you say, brake fluid is hygroscopic and over time will require replacement as it absorbs and retains moisture. However, Toyota Centre’s [sic] have equipment which tests the fluid and on this information will determine whether it needs to be replaced. They would not charge you for a brake fluid change if the tests prove that the fluid is still within normal levels and thus not required.

In answer to your enquiry, I can confirm that both the pollen filter and brake fluid would require an additional charge if they needed to be changed. It is solely the inspection of both items which are covered under the parameters of the service.

In closing, I hope this information will ease your concerns and I would like to again thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Yours sincerely

Customer Relations Executive

The second paragraph contradicts information in the service book. I will change the pollen filter myself, I guess I'll leave the brake fluid, given the reply.

What exactly does the service schedule state. Does it say check the fluid and filter or replace..........

Oh I like the We'll test your brake fluid Sir routine

It is well accepted in the motor trade testing the fluid in the reservoir isn't a true reflection of what is in the rest of the system.

It does say replace, just like it says replace oil and filter. Clearly the word replace means two different things to Toyota!. I feel a little powerless now, having written to Toyota and got the same reply.

unfortunately sounds just like VW. I took my car in (now sold) last year and got the service done, was about 200 quid. then i got the phone call saying the coolant needed to be changed (extra), and the brake fluid (again extra), despite asking beforehand if these would be included in the service.

it seems service = look, replace is extra.

what reeeally p'd me off with them was that despite asking about 5 times whether the cambelt needed to be changed (as per book) they said no, no, its fine. then i get a call a week later saying it needs changing.....which also means the coolant needs to be done again (but ok sir, its included in the price of the cambelt).....no matter how much i argued, they never refunded my original coolant replacement charge, argued it was necessary at the time and separate issue to the cambelt. i went elsewhere.

so....post rant - sounds like you'll have to take this on the chin, but next time go elsewhere and make them specify exactly what is included. lesson learned but not very pleasent.

James is right with respect to testing the reservoir contents for water, a waste of time. The fluid at the calipers/wheel cylinders should be tested,that's where it eventually migrates to, not that in the reservoir. If there's water there (at the wheels) it could boil off under braking, then no brakes! :o

Even bleeding some fluid off at the wheels would be better than nothing.

Why go to the main dealer? I have free servicing for 3 years, so I am using this, but if I did not then I would go. If you go to another local independent garage, which is an MOT test centre as well, it will not affect any warranty.

I know that a full service for an Aygo would be about £80 including labour. I also trust them a lot more.

main Dealer service history may add value, but so does full service history. The money saved on the service will out do the money when sold.

Thanks for all your input.

I went to the main dealer as I needed some warranty work both last year and this and I didn't really want any hassle. The minor service last year was £115 and I thought I'd pay just as much at an independent. I will consider my options next year when it is 3.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links