Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Verso T180 2.2D Acceleration Issue

ricky_k

My experience of repeated EGR pipe failure is a caution to other owners.

I was stupid enough to accept Toyota's explanation of the cause and resolution of this problem being a blocked pipe which they replaced for the handsome price of over £1000.

The main dealer, Jemco made no effort to resolve the cause and I am left out of warranty ('08 plate) with the likelihood of a recurrence and the risk of engine management shut down which I have experienced twice.

Reading the Daily Telegraph motoring advice Verso engine failure is commonplace and known failure to Toyota GB and to a layman its hard to explain why although the point has been made Toyota are pretty inexperienced building passenger car diesel engines, I think they only offer 2 and their strength is in petrol engines and hybrid petrols.

Be vary wary relying on Toyota to address any resolution of this problem with your vehicles.

Fascinating also to learn their stance that my local Lexus outlet is not qualified to carry out warranty work on Toyota vehicles. A fascinating stance given the 100% share ownership of Toyota in Lexus and the fact that this diesel engine is fitted to Lexus vehicles. Something I imagine that should be tested in court

One very disillusioned Toyota customer

Bulk Edward

Fascinating also to learn their stance that my local Lexus outlet is not qualified to carry out warranty work on Toyota vehicles. A fascinating stance given the 100% share ownership of Toyota in Lexus and the fact that this diesel engine is fitted to Lexus vehicles. Something I imagine that should be tested in court

Bulk Edward

Even with 100% share ownership they run warranty separately, Lexus can't do Toyota and Toyota can't do Lexus same with the vag range, Audi can't do vw who can't do seat etc, I agree with you that it is really annoying though that they can't share

Alex

• 7 years later...
On 10/4/2012 at 10:20 AM, bulkedward said:

My experience of repeated EGR pipe failure is a caution to other owners.

I was stupid enough to accept Toyota's explanation of the cause and resolution of this problem being a blocked pipe which they replaced for the handsome price of over £1000.

The main dealer, Jemco made no effort to resolve the cause and I am left out of warranty ('08 plate) with the likelihood of a recurrence and the risk of engine management shut down which I have experienced twice.

Reading the Daily Telegraph motoring advice Verso engine failure is commonplace and known failure to Toyota GB and to a layman its hard to explain why although the point has been made Toyota are pretty inexperienced building passenger car diesel engines, I think they only offer 2 and their strength is in petrol engines and hybrid petrols.

Be vary wary relying on Toyota to address any resolution of this problem with your vehicles.

Bulk Edward

Guy's a few things to be aware of, is that, sometimes it's not tbd DPF or the EGR valve which is blocked. As I discovered on my T180 that once the turbo intake got loose and I lost pressure and power, the DPF and management light came on. However once the car was fixed the car was running back to normal, all lights codes cleared. Then on the back of this there was an airlock in the system and this gave the same codes and DPF light. Therefore always check for these simple issues before spending £1000's on DPF.

Also when I first bought the car the DPF was blocked, the car smoked like a factory chimney, however I took it on the motorway full blast high revs, did 150miles in total and the DPF was clear. I drive on motorway every 2 weeks and my DPF hasn't got blocked again in 1.5 years. So piece of advice, take it on the motorway 70-80mph, give it it a good blast, basically drive it like a rally driver, obviously be safe and stick to the speed limit. 😎

On 11/27/2011 at 5:18 PM, ricky_k said:

Hi,

I have seen a similar posts as my problem, but I am starting a new thread as no resolution was posted. The post in question is:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=120599

I have had my Toyota Corolla Version T180 2.2D-CAT now since December 2006. It is an 55 registration and it had approximately 5K on the clock. Now it has 61K on the clock. I have had one previous major issue with the car, that being the Diesal Particulate Filter efficiency, which ended up in the CAT being replaced. Toyota did this free of charge as I noticed that many people through postings on the internet had seen this issue and Toyota knew about this issue, but had not made it known to the public.

My new issue is related to acceleration of the car. I noticed that soon after the service was done, the car would be hesitant in acceleration from 50mph onwards. In fact it got so bad that the car was getting quite jerky. So I took it to the garage and they said that the EGR was blocked and they had cleaned it out and tested the car out now and it was fine. When I got the car back, I definitely noticed an improvement. The car accelerated much better and the jerkiness was gone, but the problem had not been completely resolved.

I noticed that when I accelerated now about 50mph, the car was a little hesitant in trying to pick up speed. I had the throttle fully down. So I took the car to my local Toyota garage (again) and they said to me later that day that they could not reproduce the fault, and suggested I took their test driver out. I took the test driver out and I could definitely see the problem occuring, but the test driver failed to acknoweldge it and believed there was no problem. I definitely have seen a difference in the car before and after the service and was astonished that the test driver could not see the issue. The car simply will not accelerate linearly. It is hesitant. The local garage said to wait until the Area Manager comes in and then take the car out again for a test drive with them.

What I have noticed is that the issue seems to occur more when the car is cold. Yesterday at about 8.15am, I was accelerating onto the M40 on a slip road going about 50mph in 3rd gear, and with the accelerator almost flat down, and the car was hesitating to pick up speed. My 10 year old daughter in the car also noticed it.

When the garage did the service, they fixed a loose air intake pipe. I wonder if they caused an issue by doing this?

Any ideas? I notice other postings of a similar nature:

http://www.toyotaown...showtopic=94364

http://www.toyotaown...howtopic=115134

Regards,

Ricky

Guy's a few things to be aware of, is that, sometimes it's not tbd DPF or the EGR valve which is blocked. As I discovered on my T180 that once the turbo intake got loose and I lost pressure and power, the DPF and management light came on. However once the car was fixed the car was running back to normal, all lights codes cleared. Then on the back of this there was an airlock in the system and this gave the same codes and DPF light. Therefore always check for these simple issues before spending £1000's on DPF.

Also when I first bought the car the DPF was blocked, the car smoked like a factory chimney, however I took it on the motorway full blast high revs, did 150miles in total and the DPF was clear. I drive on motorway every 2 weeks and my DPF hasn't got blocked again in 1.5 years. So piece of advice, take it on the motorway 70-80mph, give it it a good blast, basically drive it like a rally driver, obviously be safe and stick to the speed limit. 😎

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links