Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tire Pressure Monitoring System(Orange)

Marcos Ch

I bought this TPMS from eBay a couple of weeks ago. I took it to a car shop to have it hardwired (David don't laugh at me please:-), I didn't know how to do it myself). I wanted to have the cigarette power supply socket available for my GPS or iPhone charger.

post-109272-0-44833400-1322417110_thumb.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tarquin

• johnan

• marcandsebe

• Marcos Ch

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh Dear, OH Dear I can see a major problem Marcos The display is green!!!!!!!!!!! Question Does the LED segments change to say Red when there is a problem or does another set light up in a different colour underneath? and has it got screws in it to take the case apart?

Cheers

David

Oh Dear, OH Dear I can see a major problem Marcos The display is green!!!!!!!!!!! Question Does the LED segments change to say Red when there is a problem or does another set light up in a different colour underneath? and has it got screws in it to take the case apart?

Cheers

David

This one has blue segments, David.......! No need for screwdriver and soldering work....Seems a bit "cheap" though....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TP1A-TPMS-Kit-Wireless-Tire-Pressure-Monitoring-System-/150550558087?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyre_Trims_Trims_ET&hash=item230d833587

John

Yes, it got screws in it, I already opened the case to have a look on the inside but I don't know how to hardwire it so I'll be waiting for your help. When the pressure is low or the temperature high the digits turns red but I'm not sure if the same segments turn into red or there is another set of leds

Cheers

David

This one has blue segments, David.......! No need for screwdriver and soldering work....Seems a bit "cheap" though....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TP1A-TPMS-Kit-Wireless-Tire-Pressure-Monitoring-System-/150550558087?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyre_Trims_Trims_ET&hash=item230d833587

John

Cheers John I had a look and They do one without the graphic sort of car outline stuck on it. It lets you choose what colour you want the display which tells me its a colour LCD graphic display rather than individual LED segments.May go for one of those as well.. I have already bought one of the ones Marcos has got.

David

Yes, it got screws in it, I already opened the case to have a look on the inside but I don't know how to hardwire it so I'll be waiting for your help. When the pressure is low or the temperature high the digits turns red but I'm not sure if the same segments turn into red or there is another set of leds

Marcos

When you undid it does it look like a printed circuit board with LED 7 Segments on or a whole liquid crystal screen like a small TV screen. Also can you look through the manual and see id its possible to change colour of the display.

David

David

I didn't know these things existed and am keen on the idea, but it worries me that the sensors fitted to the tyre valves might be attractive to the light-fingered, magpie fraternity that will unscrew and take anything that looks interesting without knowing what to do with it.

I had four chrome valve caps taken off an MX5 a few years ago, just because they were shiny (I suppose, they weren't worth anything).

Do you think that could be a problem, or am I being a bit pessimistic?

Can sensors be bought on their own as replacements for lost or pinched ones?

John

I didn't know these things existed and am keen on the idea, but it worries me that the sensors fitted to the tyre valves might be attractive to the light-fingered, magpie fraternity that will unscrew and take anything that looks interesting without knowing what to do with it.

I had four chrome valve caps taken off an MX5 a few years ago, just because they were shiny (I suppose, they weren't worth anything).

Do you think that could be a problem, or am I being a bit pessimistic?

Can sensors be bought on their own as replacements for lost or pinched ones?

John

Hi John

Take a look at the video's on youtube. You will see the valve transmitters are on the inside of the tyre and all you can see is the valve and it looks normal so you can still stick your chrome caps on (if you have got any left)

No one would know you had them except for the "back to the future dashboard" battery life on the transmitters is around 7years and sensors can be changed if they go faulty just need re-pairing with the receiver.

David

Thanks very much for your reassuring and helpful reply, David...I really must do a bit more research before scaremongering

about things!

I'll away and look at those videos now.

John

David I'm sure you will find some way to change the LEDs to blue! Tomorrow I will unscrew it and take a pic so you can draw your own conclusions, I'm afraid I might give you some wrong information as I'm "ignorant" when it comes to such things!

thats the back side of the display unit, you can see the four screws that hold the back cover in place

post-109272-0-63713100-1322463961_thumb.

After a bit of investigation I found the display is a custom display commissioned for that unit and has bi LED segments , so no colour change :(

The good news for you Marcos it looks easy to do away with the USB socket and blank the hole then you could come out with the cable anywhere really. You could reduce the size of the diameter of the cable for it to be more discreet. You could fit it the unit in the gap between the top of the gear lever surround and the bottom of the air/con column.so that the AUX power is behind it.

You could then reduce the length of the power lead and use the existing cable you have thats already "connected" leaving the Aux socket for your phone charger. Personally the AUX socket is far to big and can be made redundant by using small DC 2.1 mm sockets fitted under the edge where the AUX socket is but when the DC plugs are removed the sockets would be far enough back and wouldn't be seen. This is probably the way I will go with my installation. you could probably get 5 sockets there that would be invisible when plugs are removed. Did you look into the manual to see if the colour can be changed?

David

Do you anticipate any difficulties in getting the sensors fitted to the wheels?

I normally do most things myself, when I can, but one thing I haven't got is a tyre removal rig so I will have to go cap in hand to some sort of tyre fitting place and hope they will be agreeable.

I e-mailed a mobile tyre fitting service that I normally use for new tyres and they said they should be "fitted by the manufacturers".

So much for helpfulness there then!

I didn't realise that all new cars (new models) in the UK must have these fitted as standard from next year, and their accuracy and operation will probably be part of the MOT test.

They have been a requirement in the US since 2007, I believe.

I didn't even know they existed!

John

Yes, all new passenger cars in all US-states need the TPMS (tire Pressure Monitor System - great word for a simple thing).

The main problem in the US is that you CAN´T refill your rubber rings on gas station - they have NO possibility there. :!Removed!:

The North-American Version of the iQ (Scion) has this feature as standard.

TPMS require to be fitted to all new Cars in the UK from November 2012.

I assume that will be new models & not ones that are currently approved, in the same way as only new models required DLRL's.

The changed UK Mot from January 2012 requires installed 'Malfunction Ilumination Lights' (MIL) to be checked that they are functioning correctly when the ignition is switched on.

So thats lights for ABS, Brake Fluid level, TC, TPMS, Seatbelt tensioners'

Then obviously its expected that the item they indicate actually operates as designed.

First tho, the lights should illuminate then on test mode & then go out.

With an aftermarket system, i would remove it from the vehicle before putting it in for the test.

george

John

I think for you the best bet is to get a mobile tyre guy . Say YOU want to fit them and get a price for tyre removal and re-fit. my guess they will need a little re-balancing. It looks easy to do. Your tyre man pulls out the old valve and you fit the new one with the kit, it has a locking ring on the outside. Then with the supplied screw, you screw the transmitter module to the valve. My guess is there is a plastic tag to pull out to get the Battery connected then he refits the tyre , pumps it up and checks balance and fits to car . Job done. Just tell him you will take responsibility for it. My unit might be here tomorrow .will check it out and get the low down . will also visit the place i got my wheels and tyres and ask them the cost to fit.

I took my iQ to a tire shop, the difficult part will be to remove the tires since we don't have the equipment, fitting the valves was quite easy and the booklet included tells you how to do it. Thank you David for your help! Where do you think you are going to mount yours?

TPMS require to be fitted to all new Cars in the UK from November 2012.

I assume that will be new models & not ones that are currently approved, in the same way as only new models required DLRL's.

The changed UK Mot from January 2012 requires installed 'Malfunction Ilumination Lights' (MIL) to be checked that they are functioning correctly when the ignition is switched on.

So thats lights for ABS, Brake Fluid level, TC, TPMS, Seatbelt tensioners'

Then obviously its expected that the item they indicate actually operates as designed.

First tho, the lights should illuminate then on test mode & then go out.

With an aftermarket system, i would remove it from the vehicle before putting it in for the test.

george

So George its best to keep the add on of the TPSC as a plug and play because once unplugged and taken out MOT people are none the wiser. My MOT garage can me Stevie Wonder if required

David

After a bit of investigation I found the display is a custom display commissioned for that unit and has bi LED segments , so no colour change :(

The good news for you Marcos it looks easy to do away with the USB socket and blank the hole then you could come out with the cable anywhere really. You could reduce the size of the diameter of the cable for it to be more discreet. You could fit it the unit in the gap between the top of the gear lever surround and the bottom of the air/con column.so that the AUX power is behind it.

You could then reduce the length of the power lead and use the existing cable you have thats already "connected" leaving the Aux socket for your phone charger. Personally the AUX socket is far to big and can be made redundant by using small DC 2.1 mm sockets fitted under the edge where the AUX socket is but when the DC plugs are removed the sockets would be far enough back and wouldn't be seen. This is probably the way I will go with my installation. you could probably get 5 sockets there that would be invisible when plugs are removed. Did you look into the manual to see if the colour can be changed?

David

Marcos read this it explains where i am thinking of fitting mine

David

John

I think for you the best bet is to get a mobile tyre guy . Say YOU want to fit them and get a price for tyre removal and re-fit. my guess they will need a little re-balancing. It looks easy to do. Your tyre man pulls out the old valve and you fit the new one with the kit, it has a locking ring on the outside. Then with the supplied screw, you screw the transmitter module to the valve. My guess is there is a plastic tag to pull out to get the battery connected then he refits the tyre , pumps it up and checks balance and fits to car . Job done. Just tell him you will take responsibility for it. My unit might be here tomorrow .will check it out and get the low down . will also visit the place i got my wheels and tyres and ask them the cost to fit.

Thanks for that David, I will be interested to hear what your tyre Guy has to say.

I asked at a local tyre place this morning and got the normal intake of breath through the teeth and slow head shake until I said I would fit them myself, I just need the tyres taken off, put on again and balanced.

He wasn't too keen even then but I think could have been persuaded.

They don't want the responsibility of doing something that isn't standard to a car, I suppose.

John

John

I think for you the best bet is to get a mobile tyre guy . Say YOU want to fit them and get a price for tyre removal and re-fit. my guess they will need a little re-balancing. It looks easy to do. Your tyre man pulls out the old valve and you fit the new one with the kit, it has a locking ring on the outside. Then with the supplied screw, you screw the transmitter module to the valve. My guess is there is a plastic tag to pull out to get the battery connected then he refits the tyre , pumps it up and checks balance and fits to car . Job done. Just tell him you will take responsibility for it. My unit might be here tomorrow .will check it out and get the low down . will also visit the place i got my wheels and tyres and ask them the cost to fit.

Thanks for that David, I will be interested to hear what your tyre Guy has to say.

I asked at a local tyre place this morning and got the normal intake of breath through the teeth and slow head shake until I said I would fit them myself, I just need the tyres taken off, put on again and balanced.

He wasn't too keen even then but I think could have been persuaded.

They don't want the responsibility of doing something that isn't standard to a car, I suppose.

John

Are we saying then that all cars we see with this as a feature on the car, are taken from the ABS working out rotational errors to calculate pressure? How do they work out tyre air temperature? because its obviously different pressure at different temperatures.Will investigate.

David

George,

There is another version, a direct couple non Battery. A transducer is either fitted on the valve stem or a module is fitted to a valve stem (prone to theft) and coils are fitted either to the calliper or nearby that pole the transducer to get the data Like proximity cards to gain access to a building. A lot of fitting I can imagine and probably a factory fitted device. Have a look at the link http://www.etv.com.au/

It seems because it is law in the states, most garages are familiar with all these types of sensors and how to calibrate them but I guess not so over here . did we ask Marco what kind of reception he got when he asked to have his fitted.

David

Spoke to a lady who owns a tyre fitting company in Kirkcaldy this afternoon and asked about fitting the pressure sensors.

She said she had more people coming in asking for them to taken off their wheels than put on, due to faulty and unreliable readings. These are ones built into the car as standard.

Mainly Peugeots apparently.

She wasn't keen on fitting them but would do so if persuaded.

Any views from your area David?

John

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links