Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Exhaust Wrap

bodrobot

Hi,

I am going to buy some exhaust wrap to put around the pipes on the manifold 2 reduce the heat and friction between it and my gear change cables.

1. Is is going to reduce the rate it wears through my gear change cables?

2. Does it need securing in anyway? If so what should i use?

Obviously i know that putting it around the pipe will increase the diameter of the pipe and therefore it'll actually be closer 2 the gear change cables, however it should reduce the heat.

But do you guys think that it will help or hinder?

Thankin u

I may be as thick as a whale omlette but here goes:

1) Gear change cables? I'm missing something here.

2) Some exhaust wrap would require something to secure it, however I believe usually the wrap will come with the neccesary equipment. Some thermal wraps, while not bonded will be secure without the need for external fastenings. Best bet is to check out the options from individual manufacturers.

Commenting on help or hinder I will respond from a point of view of performance. Under bonnet temperature management is always a good thing but I'm not sure whether this would provide any real performance benefit. The Intake temp of the compressor is high due to the act of compressing the air so reducing radient temp is not really going to give you any gain, as for speeding up gas flow I would think this would be minimal.

I may be as thick as a whale omlette but here goes:

1) Gear change cables? I'm missing something here.

2) Some exhaust wrap would require something to secure it, however I believe usually the wrap will come with the neccesary equipment. Some thermal wraps, while not bonded will be secure without the need for external fastenings. Best bet is to check out the options from individual manufacturers.

Commenting on help or hinder I will respond from a point of view of performance. Under bonnet temperature management is always a good thing but I'm not sure whether this would provide any real performance benefit. The Intake temp of the compressor is high due to the act of compressing the air so reducing radient temp is not really going to give you any gain, as for speeding up gas flow I would think this would be minimal.

Thanks for your reply, don't even wanna know why u are up at such an hour :)

I am not after any gain, i am simply trying to reduce the rate at which my gear change cables are getting worn. Basically the are so close to my exhaust manifold pipes that due to the movement of the engine, the heat and alot of gear changes the gear change cable actual got burnt/worn through which resulted in me losing my gear box temporarily.

I have replace the cables now ( as far as i'm aware the go from the gear shift to the engine block) however i am far from a mechanic. If you look behind the engine from the top you should be able to see 2 1/4" cables (they are wrapped and inside there are metal cables) kind of going towards the engine (they should be bent and at an angle around 90 degrees).

FYI i was just looking at getting the wraps from fensport.

The problem is caused because of the aftermarket mainfold my car has...

The problem is caused because of the aftermarket mainfold my car has...

In that case, i'd expect that a bit of heat management would do you the world of good here!! :thumbsup:

yes the heat wrap needs to be secured with metal ties.. dont use plastic as iv seen some people use lol ... altho iv seen manifolds that are wrapped cracking alot more. i think its due to the heat being kept in.. fair enough those cars do go around track sometimes but its maybe somthing to keep in mind.. also dont buy cheap stuff iv seen it go on fire.

When i use this i apply it wet as it makes it more flexable and you can make the job look more tidy ;)