Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Revs Going Mad

doddery old git

Hello all, new member and first post. Looking to pick a few brains from the obvious wealth of knowledge on here. My Corolla is a 1994 Gli liftback, 130000 on the clock. Car was bought recently from a neighbour who used it every day without problems but in the last couple of weeks it has decided to go off it's head. Fifth gear, fifty mph, 2250 revs and trundling along fine until I decide to accelerate. Revs rise suddenly and quickly to around 4000 but car decides not to go any faster, same happens at 40mph in 4th gear. Doesn't always do it, maybe once or twice every couple of weeks and usually seems to fix itself after a few minutes. It does seem to lack power generally though, although it's my first Toyota, it's 1300cc so I'm not sure how much poke it should have. The other irritating problem is the idle speed. As far as I know it should be around 800 but it is constantly sitting at least on 1000, more usually 1250 or thereabouts, sometimes more. Apart from that, in the four months we've had the car it hasn't let us down at all.

The MOT is in March, not sure whether to spend money on it, the bodywork is first class which is making me think it might be worth hanging on to but these two issues are casting a cloud over which way to go. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Goatstoes.

Thanks, EXS, where do I find it and do I need to use any special cleaners.

Eddieinvader, I was suspecting the clutch but since it didn't misbehave in the other gears I wasn't too sure.

Am I right in thinking then from your replies that the sudden revving when trying to accelerate will be the clutch slipping and the idle speed issue is likely to be the air mass sensor, and so the two problems aren't related?

Thanks again, Goatstoes

A simple way to test the clutch is as follows:

Stand the car on a level surface with the hand brake off. Make sure that there is no vehicle in front for about 10 to 15 metres.

Start the engine, put the gear stick into 4th. or 5th. and let the clutch out slowly without using the throttle.

If the clutch is very worn the car will not stall, but the engine will keep running. The car but may move forward if the clutch is not too bad,, be ready to brake!

A simple way to test the clutch is as follows:

Stand the car on a level surface with the hand brake off. Make sure that there is no vehicle in front for about 10 to 15 metres.

Start the engine, put the gear stick into 4th. or 5th. and let the clutch out slowly without using the throttle.

If the clutch is very worn the car will not stall, but the engine will keep running. The car but may move forward if the clutch is not too bad,, be ready to brake!

Thanks Bos, will try that at the park and ride tomorrow, plenty space there.

Cheers, Goatstoes

Must be the clutch slipping, unless your accidently resting your foot on it?

If it is dont go to far as it may not last much longer and you will need recovering.

Coincidentally the first time i experienced a clutch going was in 1999 in a white 94 on the M reg Corolla liftback, i was selling cars at the time, the woman didnt buy it even after we fitted a new clutch, happy days :lol: i needed sales when on £80 a week basic :crybaby:

Thanks Bos, will try that at the park and ride tomorrow, plenty space there.

Cheers, Goatstoes

Gave the clutch test a try, car stalls when pulling away without using the throttle in both 4th and fifth gears so seems to have passed that trial. Re the air flow sensor, there doesn't seem to be one. Between the manifold and air filter box is a resonator, a u-bend shaped tube and an inlet air temperature sensor going directly into the air filter box. No mention of a mass air flow sensor in the Haynes manual either so back to sqare one. It is a '94 job 4eFe engine so maybe there is an early nineties equivalent of the MAF sensor with a different name. Any further thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Goatstoes

The test will only show up a really worn clutch but i do think it is the clutch.

Where bouts in west lothian are you from?

The test will only show up a really worn clutch but i do think it is the clutch.

Where bouts in west lothian are you from?

I'm in Kirknewton. Are you in W.Lothian too?

Goatstoes

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links