Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4Wd ?

Weta

Wondering if my rav is full time 4wd or 2wd? 2003/2004 d4d xt4

Hi Graeme,

It should be full-time 4WD. The only 2WD 4.2's were NV's fitted with the 1.8 petrol engine (I think I'm right about that last bit but, if not, one of the great wise ones will be along soon & correct me - in fact I think you'll find full details pinned up above in the index - see here: http://www.toyotaown...showtopic=91067).

nope its 2 wheel drive then changes to 4 wheel drive when car senses front wheel slip..

Beg to disagree, ormi. It's a 4.2 (2003) so it's perm 4wd. The 4.3 has the intelligent 4WD.

Yes its permanaent 4WD, it also has a centre diff and a viscous coupling that automatically locks it when required.

A word of caution for you.

Dont let your MOT garage put it on their single axle brake testing rollers, and dont ever let a recovery vehicle give you a suspended tow.

Both could ruin the transmission, but there are alternatives.

Phil

Yes its permanaent 4WD, it also has a centre diff and a viscous coupling that automatically locks it when required.

Dont let your MOT garage put it on their single axle brake testing rollers, and dont ever let a recovery vehicle give you a suspended tow.

Phil

Does that go for all Rav 4x4s??

Phil

I'd agree with this, Paul. I'm also very careful about where the car gets jacked up as it's very easy to damage the diff casings, in particular, if some gorilla simply wallies a hydraulic jack up against them. Your handbook gives pretty good instructions about things like jacking & towing.

A 4.1 MANUAL transmission should be fine on the roller tester with the difflock off.

I don't know about a 4.1 auto, there is an electronically controlled difflock, not sure if it will engage in neutral

The 4.2 has a viscous coupler, it will simply jump out of the rollers as soon as they start turning. I'd be surprised if something broke though :crybaby:

It is pinned in the 4.3 section but applies to 4.2s as well.

Phil

Thanks for the feedback phil....

• 2 weeks later...

what would my t180 be a 4.1 , 4.2 or a 4.3

4.3 Dale

and does the diff automaticly lock on this?

what would my t180 be a 4.1 , 4.2 or a 4.3

4.3 Dale

and does the diff automaticly lock on this?

It has a very sophisticated electromagnetic system that operates automatically when traction starts to get tricky.

You can also manually lock the system with the 'Lock' button on the dash but it will drop out at 30mph.

It won't override the laws of physics though so you're not invincible when conditions are poor.

Here's an explanation from Anchorman when he was moonlighting on a certain US website:

LINK

Edited by Davrav

Hi, I have recently aquired a RAV4 XTR 2.0 Auto Aug 2005 registered. The above is a bit confusing as I understood that my RAV4 is a 4WD but it only comes on when the traction control detects slippage of front wheels. My question is how can one tell when the 4WD is engaged or not. If anybody can help I would much appreciate it.

I enjoy the drive of the RAV4, but not the fuel consumption.