Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota & Bmw Collaboration

Chris Dance

I heard on the radio this morning that Toyota & BMW are to join up to produce a low or no emission car. Sounds like a good idea. Has anybody else on the forum heard of this merger?

I heard on the radio this morning that Toyota & BMW are to join up to produce a low or no emission car. Sounds like a good idea. Has anybody else on the forum heard of this merger?

Posted in the Rav 4 section :)

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=131292&pid=1166714&st=0entry1166714

To quote Autocar...

The two automotive giants will supply engines to each other, with BMW offering its 1.6 and 2.0-litre diesel engines to Toyota Motor Europe in exchange for the Japanese company’s hybrid technology and expertise.

BMW’s engine supply will begin in 2014 and installed in certain Toyota-produced vehicles planned for sale in the European market, as part of Toyota’s planned expansion of its diesel-powered range.

So it looks like Toyota get diesel engines for their whole range and BMW get to chop a Prius in half :thumbsup:

To quote Autocar...

The two automotive giants will supply engines to each other, with BMW offering its 1.6 and 2.0-litre diesel engines to Toyota Motor Europe in exchange for the Japanese company's hybrid technology and expertise.

BMW's engine supply will begin in 2014 and installed in certain Toyota-produced vehicles planned for sale in the European market, as part of Toyota's planned expansion of its diesel-powered range.

So it looks like Toyota get diesel engines for their whole range and BMW get to chop a Prius in half :thumbsup:

Thats about the size of it mate. Mind you Toyota looks like it could do with a hand with some of there oil burners! :yes:

Their bigger ones certainly (Esp. those (literally) cracking 2.2 D4Ds! :eek:), but the 1.4 D4D is already a really good engine; Most other companies need 1.6 to do what Mr T's done with their 1.4 :yahoo:

And I think their 1.4 is still the highest revving diesel engine around at the moment :) (I worked out it has the same rev-range as the 1.3 petrol engine in my old crap Fiesta :lol: )

I agree that the 1.4D is a cracking litte engine. Mind you so its the VW Polo's 1.4TDi. But Mr T's 2.2 oil burner is just out of this World! Thats when the head gasket doesn't decide to leave for Mars that is!!!:crybaby:

I agree that the 1.4D is a cracking litte engine. Mind you so its the VW Polo's 1.4TDi. But Mr T's 2.2 oil burner is just out of this World! Thats when the head gasket doesn't decide to leave for Mars that is!!!:crybaby:

Hi Mate,Mars and polo's are we into confectionery now.

Hi Mate,Mars and polo's are we into confectionery now.

Hahahahaahahaha.... Now that made me laugh my mate :thumbsup:

BMW had a program with hydrogen fuelled cars.. 750is. I assume it's been quietly buried (cost and danger)

I suspect Hydrogen would be more favoured by the Japanese; You can make very high revving engines with hydrogen but it has absolutely no torque and I suspect it's worse than LPG on that front. Germans seem to like their torque :)

A hydrogen fuel cell would be a different thing, by hydrogen is a terrible 'green' fuel as unless we figure out a way to mine Jupiter or Saturn, there's no natural source for it and it needs a LOT of power to extract it.

To me, just an indication that BMW isn't taking hybrids or EV's seriously.