Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Oil 5W30 Or 10W40 For 2002 Avensis 1.8 Vvti

786innovation

Hi All, Greetings...

When I bought this car I have been checking its oil level and it didn't drop even by one ml. But since I changed its oil (Total Fuel economy 5w30) I have noticed that oil level dropped from Maximum level to middle of maximum and minimum level. I tooped it up again to maximum and then after couple of weeks it dropped again to middle of maximum and minimum. I use Super high Octanne petrol (premium quality)available on BP pumps. Some people suggested that it is an old car (70 k mileage on clock) so I shouldn't use thin engine oil i.e. 5w30 instead I should use 10w40. Last time before changing oil, I used engine flush too. I have also checked for leakages and cannt see any. Any suggestions or previous experiences??/ Your advice and sharing will be really appreciated. thanks,

Regards,

Bilal

I'd stick to a full synth oil over a semi. But it depends on what oils been used on the other sevices. If the car had a semi oil and then you've done an engine flush with something like Forte's and used a full synth oil then the cleaning additives (In the oil and flush) do such a good job that it can get rid of deposits off the rings and start to cause the engine to use oil when otherwise it didn't befor. Maybe a 5-40 oil would be better like Mobil 1 if it meets the specs.

I'd never use a flush on a car with that kinda milage if its not had one befor. I use Forte flush in 206k car from day 1 and Castrol Edge (5w-30, 507 00 spec) and mine doesn't use a drop. I always change my oil at 6-8k. Now I use Motul V300 5w-30 but its not a Toyota...

I always used to use 5/30 in mine & the consumption was absolutely nil. Flushing, as Mistermena states, causes the carbon seal formed on piston & rings to be dissolved. It will gradually reform especially if you are now using a little bit of oil. I personally always used to use semi-synthetic 5/30 & changed at approx 5000mls. You can use 10w/40 as this is a little heavier but will take marginally longer to circulate around the engine, especially in the now cold weather. A 5w/40 could be used, giving cold weather starting protection, but is often only available as a fully synthetic oil & therefore a bit more expensive. Also, why use the more expensive petrol? Normal unleaded is fine. It is not a high compression performance engine & providing no pinking occurs, will be entirely suitable providing the timing is correct.

If you are wondering why I'm talking in the past tense, it is because someone decided to alter the shape of the rear of the car by driving forwards but looking where they had been!

Happy motoring!

• Like 1

Also, why use the more expensive petrol? Normal unleaded is fine. It is not a high compression performance engine & providing no pinking occurs, will be entirely suitable providing the timing is correct.

Thanks for your detailed reply. I will use 5w30 or 5w40 this time as well. I checked on eBay for Mobil 5w40, One seller is selling £29.99 for 5L including postage. Item number: 150709214838

Now regarding, petrol... Some expert on this forum shared his experience, As these cars Avensis 2000-2002 VVTI had oil consumption problem. That expert said that his car was consuming oil about 1 liter for 500 -1000 miles. Then he started using High Octane petrol, and after about 5 full tanks, problem got disappeared. According to him efficiency was also improved. I can also witness these facts. My car gives me 340 to 360 miles per tank (combined Urban). I am hoping to keep this car for 1-2 years and want it running smoothly.

Only 2 problems left.. Engine light is on, checked with OBDII cable myself. Its justO2 sensor heater issue. Didn't effect MOT last time. I bought O2 sensor, but couldn't remove the old one. Tried different penetrating oils and freez off sprays but no luck yet. Will do it some time later.

other issue is, steering makes noise when cutting from left to right during parking on very low speed. Solution is .. bottom of the steering column need to grease. I will do both things this month and upload its results, so that other people have good idea how to deal with this kind of problems..

Thanks,

Regards,

Bilal

• 5 years later...

It depends whether that grade of oil is the Toyota preference for that model in your country. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links