Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1Zz-Fe Cylinder Head Cover Gasket Replacement

Dmitriy

Hi All,

Are there any particular precautions when replacing a 1ZZ-FE cylinder head cover gasket (shown attached)?

Does it necessarily have to be done by a qualified mechanic? From looking at the cover it seems that

I just need to remove the coils from the spark plugs, undo all the bolts and remove the cover, replace

the gasket and then assemble everything back - is that all?

Thanks in advance,

Dmitriy

post-102511-0-50932700-1322861738_thumb.

Hi All,

Are there any particular precautions when replacing a 1ZZ-FE cylinder head cover gasket (shown attached)?

Does it necessarily have to be done by a qualified mechanic? From looking at the cover it seems that

I just need to remove the coils from the spark plugs, undo all the bolts and remove the cover, replace

the gasket and then assemble everything back - is that all?

Thanks in advance,

Dmitriy

Yeah pretty much what you said above.

Just be careful you don't drop the little rubber washers on the longer gold bolts in the middle of the head cover.

You'll probably notice a little bit of rubber sealant where it crosses the joint between the chain cover and cylinder head. In an ideal world you'd probably scrape that off and replace it with new. I wouldn't worry too much if you can't though.

Finally and most obviously don't trap the gasket otherwise you'll damage it and end up with a leak

Yeah pretty much what you said above.

Just be careful you don't drop the little rubber washers on the longer gold bolts in the middle of the head cover.

You'll probably notice a little bit of rubber sealant where it crosses the joint between the chain cover and cylinder head.

In an ideal world you'd probably scrape that off and replace it with new. I wouldn't worry too much if you can't though.

Finally and most obviously don't trap the gasket otherwise you'll damage it and end up with a leak

Hi Black Knight,

Thanks for your reply. Any particular types/makes of suitable rubber sealants for this job?

Having only a simple spanner set I'll have to tighten all the cover bolts up to the hand tight momentum hoping it's not critical to apply the one mentioned in the Repair Manual...

D.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links