Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lpg

kawasakikz1

Im just about to pick up a 2002 Rav4 Petrol Auto. Its got 47000 miles on the clock. I will cover about 20k miles per year. Are under floor LPG tanks available, do the cars run ok after conversion. Any help appreciated. i couldn't find any info using the search function. Pete

No. We decided we wanted the car regardless. We live up a steep hill and we loved the ride and handling. We have got the car for a fair price. LPG systems seem to go for about £900. Im after experience from other users who have fitted them.

I have used lpg systems in the past but not for my RAVs.

The fuel tank is under the floor and astride of the prop shaft so no room for an lpg tank. The options would be tanks behind each side sill... or a tank in the boot.

For that mileage, I'd avoid the hassle of an lpg system unless you are able to get lpg delivered to your own tank at home.

With both the Jaguar I had and the Renault Trafic minibus, which both had lpg all I got was problems. Generally they would cause backfire through the airbox, blowing it apart.

If you get a more modern system which integrates better with the engine system then fine. £900 seems cheap - I thought the price was more like £1600.

Try checking forums where the use of your preferred lpg system has been tried.

For when I was looking at LPG cars, every one was listed as having a recent certificate. It dawned on me LPG requires yearly safety checks which is an additional cost. Also you are driving round with a tank of gas in the back, so take care and smoke if you dare.

Didn't Vauxhall offer LPG as a factory fit option at one time?

LPG was at a good price which I had thjught was capped at 50p

However what I found was it worked out at about half the petrol price. Unless you had lpg central heating when you could get the gas delivered to your own home tank - the stuffs the same but at a lot less pennies. Don't think they have managed to add red dye to the lpg same as they do to diesel :lol:

Gas leaks are uncommon, especially if the system is good.

Didn't Vauxhall offer LPG as a factory fit option at one time?

They certainly did a "Dual-Fuel" Astra. My daughter had one and it was superb, very economical and very clean.

Yep I remember seeing a lot of duel fuel vauxhalls around 10 years ago they were every where. What happened to them.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ive owned my 1997 Rav 4 for 4 mnths and had it converted straight away, it runs just as good on LPG as petrol but half price fuel, the down side is there is no space underneath for the lpg tank its in tour boot only. although if you find an underside tank let me know. the upshot is if your high mileage its not too bad when you fill the tank, mines a 65L tank and costs approx £37 to fill from empty.

Hi Ive owned my 1997 Rav 4 for 4 mnths and had it converted straight away, it runs just as good on LPG as petrol but half price fuel, the down side is there is no space underneath for the lpg tank its in tour boot only. although if you find an underside tank let me know. the upshot is if your high mileage its not too bad when you fill the tank, mines a 65L tank and costs approx £37 to fill from empty.

LPG 57p per litre

Petrol 137p per litre

1875 80p's go into £1500, so at 30MPG the conversion would require 12,500 miles before it was paid off, so not that long really.

CO2 & lack of supply probably killed the LPG argument.

My car is just eating at the petrol. The cost is just hideous. Prices should be far lower.

As for lpg, I looked into this, for the rav 4s, 3 doors, it tends to be you have to have the great big tank behind the back 2 seats. No thanks. There are the flatter cylindrical tanks, but there is no room underneath the car.

£800-900 is about right these days. The cost has come down considerably. Down here, the few authorised dealers offer it at this price.

I will be getting a new car at some point. I am trying to hang on to this baby. It is my first ever car and has done very well, so won't be easy to get rid of, but I do need to be practical. Whether I get another rav I am not sure, but I am thinking of lpg next time. I would go for a leccie car, but I am always put off.