Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Electric Hub Locks

UgandaPrado

I'm driving a 1996 Prado (70-series). The 4wd is not always working. Sometimes the hub lock light flashes.

With the engine off and ignition on, I press hub lock and I can hear a motor turning on the driver side (right) wheel. I cannot hear the same noise on the passenger side wheel. Should I?

Should both wheels lock or just one?

Does anyone have definitive to explain how hub lock/4wd should operate?

I've only had cars with manual hubs or permanent 4 wheel drive.

I'm pretty certain the hub isn't locking/unlocking. But you might be lucky - it might be stuck in locked mode.

Start by locking the hubs. Leave the tranmission in neutral, and the centre diff lock unlocked.

jack up the wheel you suspect has the faulty hub. Make sure the other three are on the ground If you can turn the wheel then its not locked. If it only goes a short distance then goes tight, its locked.

If the one hub is permanently locked then I'd tend to run with the other one locked as well to minimise wear on the front diff. It won't make any difference in normal use except the car may use a bit more fuel.

If the hub is parmanently unlocked however, you have a bigger problem. An unlocked hub will be useless when you're stuck in the mud. Even with one hub not locked, you lose traction to BOTH front wheels (although one hub will be locked, the power will only go to the wheel which is unlocked). I had this problem in the Masai Maraa once, and got very stuck in the mud, with a Cheetah eating its prey 100 metres away!

If it costs a fortune to get the electric hub fixed, a cheaper option may be to fit manual hubs - means you have to get out and turn a knob in the centre of the hub.

Hope this helps!

is it possible to fit manual locks to a frount axle on this axle ?and where would u get them from ! do toyota have such a kit ?

• 9 years later...

Anyone out there who know how to test the electrical computer for 4 wheel drive for Toyota LJ-78. or any web sit I can web sit show how to check electrical on 4 wheel computer. 

Please need help on wiring system and how to check 4 wheel computer.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links