Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Winter Tyres

anthaygo

Is it just me or does no where stock any decent winter tyres for the 14" wheels on an aygo?? Camskill, blackcircles have nothing, mytyres have junk. All my local places only do a "typhoon" which I have never heard of or can find any reviews of (telling me its terrible) and kwik-fit had some dunlop SP winters for £235 for the 25% off deal which has now finished, but they dont know which dunlop SP they are....

I would have thought everywhere would have them after what happened last winter and it is early december :unsure:

You are two-three months too late in considering buying them, but Camskill appear to have Vredesteins in stock today. Winter tyres are limited in supply and due to last year far more people are swapping over.

I thought that, but because autumn has been quite warm then there was no advantage of putting them on. It has only got down to below 7C in the last week or so, which is the change over point. The camskill ones are all season instead of specifically winter.

Yep... The tyre manufactures cant keep up with the demand as its law in Europe to have a winter set of shoes on. Should be over here as well I think. I bought my Goodyear Ultagrip 8 from Camskills as they were running out fast. To get a good set now is like gold!!!

Try the tyre review web site and that will direct you to dealers like lovetyres.com where you might pick up a set.

Good luck with finding some snow shoes :thumbsup:

ah I didn't think about the laws in Europe taking all the stock. Damn. lovetyres has 1 snowtrac3 in stock, the rest are on back order :(

ah I didn't think about the laws in Europe taking all the stock. Damn. lovetyres has 1 snowtrac3 in stock, the rest are on back order :(

I originally ordered my Ultra grip 8's of there, but they only had 2 in stock. So I looked on the Camskills and they had the set. So I cancelled the lovetyres.com and placed the order with Camskills. I had the feeling that the other place wouldn't get me the other 2 and I'd be left high and dry! :unsure:

I have never used winter tyres, I have never seen the need, I drive +15000 miles a year in my own car and the work car just as much, nither have ever had them and I have never had a problem!

I would personally not waste money on tyres to sit in the garage most of the year.

Cant believe how difficult it has been to get some winter tyres. So I have given up and ordered a set of Vredestein Quatrac Lites from click on tyres for £54 a corner. They are an all season tyre that are certified as a winter tyre for those countries that it is law that you have to put winters on, so they should perform in the snow, but not fall apart in the summer. They are also supposed to be really eco and give better fuel economy than most, which is also nice since the car does 70miles a day up and down the A1.

Cant believe how difficult it has been to get some winter tyres. So I have given up and ordered a set of Vredestein Quatrac Lites from click on tyres for £54 a corner. They are an all season tyre that are certified as a winter tyre for those countries that it is law that you have to put winters on, so they should perform in the snow, but not fall apart in the summer. They are also supposed to be really eco and give better fuel economy than most, which is also nice since the car does 70miles a day up and down the A1.

That doesn't sound like to bad a deal tbh. If they are winter certified then happy days. Just have to remember next year to get in quick for tyres b4 the French nick them all! :toast:

That doesn't sound like to bad a deal tbh. If they are winter certified then happy days. Just have to remember next year to get in quick for tyres b4 the French nick them all! :toast:

I will hopefully not have to bother if these last long enough :thumbsup:

I will hopefully not have to bother if these last long enough :thumbsup:

True and all mate. :thumbsup:

Report back on them when the snow arrives to see what think of them. I'll do the same with the Goodyears...

Report back on them when the snow arrives to see what think of them. I'll do the same with the Goodyears...

will do, however since this is the first set of all season and the first winter I'll have had the aygo for it maybe difficult to compare. But if it doesn't get stuck they'll be doing better than the crap Falkerns I had on my old Megane!

I have never used winter tyres, I have never seen the need, I drive +15000 miles a year in my own car and the work car just as much, nither have ever had them and I have never had a problem!

I would personally not waste money on tyres to sit in the garage most of the year.

I agree. Slithering up steep hills past 4x4s spinning their wheels in my summer tyre shod Aygo always makes me chuckle.

I agree. Slithering up steep hills past 4x4s spinning their wheels in my summer tyre shod Aygo always makes me chuckle.

Interesting - I bought the Aygo for commuting etc and a RAV4 for my wife and for me to use in the snow. Are you saying the Aygo is better than a RAV in the snow?

David

Interesting - I bought the Aygo for commuting etc and a RAV4 for my wife and for me to use in the snow. Are you saying the Aygo is better than a RAV in the snow?

David

That's exactly what I'm saying and I'll fist-fight anyone who disagrees!

Seriously though, I don't know about RAV4s but I have made it past stuck 4x4 cars including Audi Quattros, BMW X5s and an Alfa-Romeo Brera V6.

Small fwd cars such as the Aygo have skinny tyres and a lot of its weight over the front axle which is good for traction.

David

That's exactly what I'm saying and I'll fist-fight anyone who disagrees!

Seriously though, I don't know about RAV4s but I have made it past stuck 4x4 cars including Audi Quattros, BMW X5s and an Alfa-Romeo Brera V6.

Small fwd cars such as the Aygo have skinny tyres and a lot of its weight over the front axle which is good for traction.

"That's exactly what I'm saying and I'll fist-fight anyone who disagrees!"

NICE ATTITUDE! Unless you are joking and I've got the wrong end of the stick???

That's a known fact within the industry & the reason why Fiat Panda 4x4's are so well respected. A small lightweight car with 4WD &/or snow tyres will run rings round any BMW or Audi in winter weather.

Talking of winter tyres, I'll recommend Hankook i'cept Evo's which were superb on my Nissan last year. On my Auris I'm running using Klebers, actually made by Michelin.

I like the Aygo in the snow because it is very predictable - due to its low weight it has little momentum so as soon as you lift off the car slows and you can control it - its also easy to push if it does get stuck!

I have seen 4x4s very out of shape in snow. Getting going is easy, but 4x4 doesn't help you to stop and with 2+ tonnes that's a lot of momentum to control. Hit the brakes and the car will slide - it takes a lot of skill and confidence to use the 4x4 system and gearbox to its advantage and drive your way out of trouble. The Landrover hill descent system takes away this requirement, but drivers need to know how to use it.

I like the Aygo in the snow because it is very predictable - due to its low weight it has little momentum so as soon as you lift off the car slows and you can control it - its also easy to push if it does get stuck!

I have seen 4x4s very out of shape in snow. Getting going is easy, but 4x4 doesn't help you to stop and with 2+ tonnes that's a lot of momentum to control. Hit the brakes and the car will slide - it takes a lot of skill and confidence to use the 4x4 system and gearbox to its advantage and drive your way out of trouble. The Landrover hill descent system takes away this requirement, but drivers need to know how to use it.

Yes I agree, downhill or around corners the big 4x4s (like the landcruiser I once had) are tricky due to their large mass. But going uphill (and I need to go up a very steep hill to get to my driveway) the 4x4s I have owned (LC, RAV and Subaru) come into their own.

I expect I will try both the Aygo and the RAV this winter and see which is best for me...

David

well it turns out that even though both clickontyres and camskill list these as instock and let you order online, neither have any in stock and wont until the end of jan. awesome :censor:

EDIT: reordered from tyretraders instead. £4 more per tyre and will be posted from Germany so wont be here until next week. What a mess on.

I'm sorry if I gave you that impression. You see, in English, if someone makes a slightly outrageous statement which is closely followed by a phrase such as, "But seriously", an ironic intention to the preceding statement has been retrospectively signaled. I sincerely apologise if this confused you.

I'm sorry if I gave you that impression. You see, in English, if someone makes a slightly outrageous statement which is closely followed by a phrase such as, "But seriously", an ironic intention to the preceding statement has been retrospectively signaled. I sincerely apologise if this confused you.

Your English is exemplary. As Welsh is my 1st language I misunderstood your ironic intention. I accept your apology for the confusion within the spirt it was given.

Your English is exemplary. As Welsh is my 1st language I misunderstood your ironic intention. I accept your apology for the confusion within the spirt it was given.

Your both been grammer Pedant's now.

A horrible neighbor (and she is ruddy horrible) has a freelander and last year tried for 30 minutes to get up our street which had about 7" of compacted ice / snow, after failing and brushing against another neighbors car she gave up, i then got my aygo out and got ready to go and she shouted you have no hope in that little tin can. Yes you know what happened next, first go nice and steady i got right up..i really would have loved to seen her face !!!!! (and that was with standard contis on )

• Like 2

Your both been grammer Pedant's now.

Is the spelling of "grammar" irony ??

David

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links