Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Upgrading Fuel Pump

nrgizerbunny

What difference to power does this make? :unsure:

Damn! Was hoping you'd say a huge amount of bhp :lol:

Does it make any noticeable difference?

Surely the pressure sensor would have to be altered. And even if you could throw more fuel in - how do you get more air in to match.

Surely the pressure sensor would have to be altered. And even if you could throw more fuel in - how do you get more air in to match.

As you claim to be an engineer, why don't you figure it out.

LOL i recognise that fuel pump! Got Sunday off to come over, and going to see when i can get the car booked in for mapping today.

On a naturally aspirated engine you don't.

What kind of engineering qualification do you have? judging by your response, I would say it was worthless.

At higher engine speed, you need more fuel.

More fuel equals more pressure drop, if you have a meatier pump, the pressure remains higher and you get better atomisation of the fuel = more power/better economy

NRG I love all the stuff you post up, I find it so interesting.

You are truely a very talented man :)

What kind of engineering qualification do you have? judging by your response, I would say it was worthless.

At higher engine speed, you need more fuel.

More fuel equals more pressure drop, if you have a meatier pump, the pressure remains higher and you get better atomisation of the fuel = more power/better economy

No matter what pressure the pump can attain it will be governed and regulated by the pressure sensor. So unless you alter its settings there will be no change.

No matter what pressure the pump can attain it will be governed and regulated by the pressure sensor. So unless you alter its settings there will be no change.

Just when I thought you couldn't make yourself look more stupid than you already do, you somehow manage to destroy the image of an engineer still further.

Read this

http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=190656

Then explain to the forum your theory.

:thumbsup:

Just when I thought you couldn't make yourself look more stupid than you already do, you somehow manage to destroy the image of an engineer still further.

Read this

http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=190656

Then explain to the forum your theory.

Yes you are right but your link refers to a modified engine and guess what they even have upgraded injectors which will demand more fuel - hence the need for an upgraded pump. Even that link refers to the fuel pressure regulator. And they have also beeen able to chuck a lot more air in to assist. In reality it is not a fair comparison to a stock engine.

I concur.

Everyone loves nrgizer!

I think we all can appreciate the passion he has for this sort of thing

I didn't want to litter this thread with numbers as people don't usually care but nonetheless.

Readings for a normally aspirated T sport (My T sport)

1. at Idle, no difference between the pumps

2. At full load when you are ragging it. The standard pump will put out about 2.4bar (the regulator will be closed), walbro will put out a rock steady 3.0bar (the regulator will be open and spilling a bit back to the tank).

@James in Belfast - you talk ****

Great work nrgizer. :thumbsup:

I just have a couple of questions.

1) I have heard that it is very good to replace your standard pump with a bigger one, but not in order to gain more HP, but just to let the engine run much more easily when at high revs. i.e. the engine will not struggle to keep the correct fuel pressure even when the "load" is heavy, but the same amount of fuel will be injected into the combustion chamber. I mean that this update is done by some people just to keep their piece of mind when putting pressure on the engine.

I can only assume (I am not an engineer) that in order to gain more HP you will have either to re-program the ECU so as more fuel to be injected in the combustion chamber and combine that with also more air coming into the engine.

Unless the standard ECU will adapt by itself to the new figures and give a little more HP power. (I think that our ECU has a margin of adaptation - I can safely assume that judging by my engine...).

So, are you planning to re-program the ECU or generraly update the engine in some way that will exploit the bigger fuel pump?

2) I know that your hands are skilled but I would be very stressed to mess like that with the fuel pump. Is there any fuel pump from some other TOYOTA model which is bigger than the T-Sport's but fits without any problem? Probably i.e. from a 2liter avensis, or a Rav4?

so if i got a 100bar fuel pump i could take on Sebastian Vettel in his red bull?!

No matter what pressure the pump is delivering the flow of fuel into the injectors will be governed by the pressure sensor so unless its paramaeters are altered all will remain the same. Without a pressure sensor the pump or the plumbing would fail. Even if extra fuel was dumped in then the oxygen sensors in the exhaust would detect the change and alter the fuel mix. So as Madvinegar says you would need to alter the ECU settings.

Please note I have always been polite in all my comments and have never resorted to using derogatory terms to any member in any of my comments or replies. Also such unwarranted use of these terms does nothing to benefit the forum or attract new members.

• Like 1

so if i got a 100bar fuel pump i could take on Sebastian Vettel in his red bull?!

Yes you could with out a doubt.

Although you would lose... By alot.

Please note I have always been polite in all my comments and have never resorted to using derogatory terms to any member in any of my comments or replies. Also such unwarranted use of these terms does nothing to benefit the forum or attract new members.

+ 1

Sorry nrgizerbunny, but with this attitude you're a c*nt...

Some quotes:

@James in Belfast - you talk ****

Clear enough?

Grow up, learn to have normal discussions, without feeling attacked when people think something different.

That's why it's a forum, to discuss, share and learn, not to insult someone.

Wonder if there are any admins / moderators here, because this is the only forum where this seems to be allowed...

And now ontopic :)

Grtz

Before this gets out of hand let's stop the playground name calling... thought we were all adults here??

If people can't handle questions on a project they've undertaken then it's best not to post it up.

To a number of people, myself included, they probably won't understand what's to gain by doing this.

The thread title says "... if you want more power" but there's no proof of any power gains.

Surely 2 "engineers" should be able to discuss this with in a mature fashion??