Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis T180 White Smoke

yateley pete

Hi,

I have noticed recently (last two weeks) that there is a cloud of white smoke left behind my car.

It dosen't do it on start up or when driving up to operating temperature but I have noticed that sometimes if when in slower motorway driving in 3rd or 4th when accelerate away the re is white smoke for a few seconds but once cleared it stays away. It seems to be very intermitent.

Any advice please.

Thanks,

Mileage 75k miles, car december 2007 2.2 T180.

Hi,

I have noticed recently (last two weeks) that there is a cloud of white smoke left behind my car.

It dosen't do it on start up or when driving up to operating temperature but I have noticed that sometimes if when in slower motorway driving in 3rd or 4th when accelerate away the re is white smoke for a few seconds but once cleared it stays away. It seems to be very intermitent.

Any advice please.

Thanks,

How's the coolant level? Any black tinge in it? Take the oil filler cap on and see if there is any white ish gunge on it...

Hi,

Any advice please.

Thanks,

How's the coolant level? Any black tinge in it? Take the oil filler cap on and see if there is any white ish gunge on it...

The coolant is just under ( a mm or so) the low marker. It bright pink as if just put in, oil on dipstick and underside of oil fillercap clean with no creamy deposits. There are some white marks on plastic engine cover just behind coolant bottle lid.

Hi,

Any advice please.

Thanks,

The coolant is just under ( a mm or so) the low marker. It bright pink as if just put in, oil on dipstick and underside of oil fillercap clean with no creamy deposits. There are some white marks on plastic engine cover just behind coolant bottle lid.

If you have white streaks (Marks) on the black plastic engine cover it could be the dredded headgasket going! I hope I'm wrong but mine has gone twice on my T-180. There is an extended warranty that Toyota have put in place that covers cars upto 7 years old or 112k. I'd take it to Toyota for a pressure test.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=10737

Hi,

Any advice please.

Thanks,

If you have white streaks (Marks) on the black plastic engine cover it could be the dredded headgasket going! I hope I'm wrong but mine has gone twice on my T-180. There is an extended warranty that Toyota have put in place that covers cars upto 7 years old or 112k. I'd take it to Toyota for a pressure test.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=10737

Thanks for your response, Is the pressure test quick?

I will ring the dealer near my work tomorrow and see if i can get them to do it if its quick.

Dont want to end up on the back of a tow truck!

Hi,

Any advice please.

Thanks,

http://www.toyotaown...attach_id=10737

I will ring the dealer near my work tomorrow and see if i can get them to do it if its quick.

It wont take long mate. And if its proved that it is this then you'll get a new 3/4 engine shipped over from Japan to a tune of around the £6500 mark FOC from Toyota :thumbsup:

Hi,

Any advice please.

Thanks,

It wont take long mate. And if its proved that it is this then you'll get a new 3/4 engine shipped over from Japan to a tune of around the £6500 mark FOC from Toyota :thumbsup:

If there is a known problem with the T180 have they updated the block to resolve the issue?

Hi,

Any advice please.

Thanks,

If there is a known problem with the T180 have they updated the block to resolve the issue?

Yes a very well known problem with the 2.2 T-180 engine! quite a lot of us have had them done. And yes they have mod the pistons ect to deal with issue... Just take a search on here for the headgasket issues with the oil burners. Lexus have the same problem with the 220d as it shares the same Polish built engine.

• 1 month later...

looks like I’ve got the same symptoms only done 50.000 on a 2006 2.2 180 .coolant level ok and bright pink oil seems ok only used a litre in the last 5000 miles only difference in symptoms is no white streaks on plastic cover. Could it be anything else. how did you get on with yours yateley Pete any advice welcome thanks

looks like I’ve got the same symptoms only done 50.000 on a 2006 2.2 180 .coolant level ok and bright pink oil seems ok only used a litre in the last 5000 miles only difference in symptoms is no white streaks on plastic cover. Could it be anything else. how did you get on with yours yateley Pete any advice welcome thanks

If you're concerened about it I'd take the car to the main dealer to have a look at it! It could result in a new engine if this is covered by the TSB...

There all the same no coolant then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOm!!!!!!! :blowup: :blowup: :blowup: :blowup: :blowup: :blowup: :blowup:

Like F{}kushima !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and there aint no TSB for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

• 1 year later...

Hi there,

I was just curious if anyone has managed to sort this white smoke problem with the T180 engine? Mine has been doing it for a while now so I think that it has the inherent problem. Its a 2007 Verso by the way with about 70K miles. The oil and water are looking spot on and it has has regular services. It happened today after driving from Oxford to Bath (~85 miles) and when I pulled away in Bath town centre it bellowed out !!