Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Vvt-I Not Starting........help!

Owainj

Hi guys, i have a 2001 Yaris VVT-i that wont start.

Other half took it out monday evening and all was fine. Went to go out tuesday afternoon and for some unknown reason it just won't start and the engine malfunction light has come on. Seems to turn over fine but refuses to fire up. This seems to have everyone stumped at the mo. One "Mechanic" has said that the oil system needs flushing through and the oil changing as it will be because the oil valve is stuck (this will cost about £100 apparently). My grandfather is also a mechanic and he has said that it sounds like the cam belt has snapped. Have already spent £67 on a new Battery as someone else told me it was the Battery so really don't want to spend more money on a "possible" fix just to turn out that its then gonna cost more. Can anyone shed some light on this for me please?

Hi,

You need to get a fault code for the engine light to know what direction to follow, I do not think flushing the oil will make any difference as the engine should start in base position anyway,ie no vvti movement, best guess is the crankshaft sensor located near the front pulley by what I remember,easy to access and change held on by a small bolt

and is a known problem, I also think there is no cambelt as its chain driven.

Hi guys, i have a 2001 Yaris VVT-i that wont start.

Other half took it out monday evening and all was fine. Went to go out tuesday afternoon and for some unknown reason it just won't start and the engine malfunction light has come on. Seems to turn over fine but refuses to fire up. This seems to have everyone stumped at the mo. One "Mechanic" has said that the oil system needs flushing through and the oil changing as it will be because the oil valve is stuck (this will cost about £100 apparently). My grandfather is also a mechanic and he has said that it sounds like the cam belt has snapped. Have already spent £67 on a new battery as someone else told me it was the battery so really don't want to spend more money on a "possible" fix just to turn out that its then gonna cost more. Can anyone shed some light on this for me please?

Hi

It could be something as simple as a 'flooded engine' especially if the car was last started and run very briefly (a minute or two)If this is the case try starting the car again with the accelerator pedal flat to the floor, continue cranking the engine for up to 30 seconds (pedal still to the floor) and the engine should splutter into life.

EDIT: It wouldn't put the light on though!

Hope that helps but please let us know the outcome.

No belt: chain.

You DO need the fault codes read.

Cranks sensor is likely: low down crankcase beside bottom belt pulley at front.

Could also be flooded, lack of fuel, failed fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, collapsed catalyst insides etc etc.

If a mechanic says belt to you he's an ignorant nuumpty and run away.

My lads 1 litre Yaris wouldn't start after a very short journey

It was a flooded engine,

Do what has been advised above and you may get it going.

• 7 years later...

Hi, so I have a similar problem, I bought a second hand Toyota yaris 1.3 auto vvti 2003. Now when we looked at the car it was as clean as a referees whistle. It started all the lights worked, it ran really sweet. The next day, I went to start the car but it would only have a rapid knock from the starter. I assumed the starter was gone, as I went to disconnect the Battery the nut that tightens the Battery connecter wasn't on it, there was no Battery holder. The battery itself was holding 2.4v no where near enough. So I changed the battery and the starter. Still the same noise. So I got the alternator out and changed that over. Still no firing I've changed pretty much every fuse I can find o this car but apperently somewhere there is a third fuse box. I cannot locate it anywhere on the car. I've been quoted £100.00 just for it to be diagnosed as the AA with thier computers couldn't get into it so I changed the ecu and still nothing.ive tried recoding the key by leaving it in half hour but it doesn't do anything. I've tried doin the okie kokie but nothings turning around. It would seem as I read through all the ideas that this is a common fault on the yaris model. Is there anyone with an idea of what else I could possibly check. Also apperently there is power to the battery but not getting to any of the points I've redone the earth on the car so the ht leads are wired into the loom I believe and the starter coil packs seem OK. Is there like a separate distributor box for the timing of the spark or is it already wired into the Ecu. 

Edited by Mrnippa
Adding more info

I remember Yaris does have a a Battery connection problem built by French. The earth strap bolt (to the chassis) need tightened up and possibly cleaning if rusted. This happened on my nephew's 2005. It was a known problem.

Worth a try to eliminate.....

• 2 years later...

what symptoms does yours have?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links