Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sensitive Alarm - Auris!

Yorkiegirl

Has anyone else had a problem with the sensitivity of the alarm on their Hybrid, I have an Auris, and this week the alarm has been triggered 3 times when we have had some heavy rain and hailstones.

The car is protected from the weather at 3 sides, but the top and front are open to elements - none of the neighbours cars have been affected, so i am wondering if it is a fault on my car, or are Toyota Hybrids particurlaly sensitive?

I once had this problem on a Nissan and it proved to be the internal motion sensor seeing water drops bouncing on the rear window.

The motion sensor usually has an on/off switch - try it.

I haven't encountered this so go back to the dealer and see what he can do.

Come to think of it - I don't even know if the alarm works, its never gone off! Must test it someday.

Thanks i think i will go to the dealer, i just wondered if anyone else had experienced the same problem.

The head unit on my Prius had to be changed a few months after I bought it. Alarm kept going off whenever the sun decided to heat the car up a little. I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that keeping metal things in the roof pocket (the Prius has a little flap thing in the centre console on the roof) can cause problems as well. Presumably close to something to do with the alarm. Don't know if that would affect the Auris as well.

Thanks i think i will go to the dealer, i just wondered if anyone else had experienced the same problem.

Not had this with the Prius, but a colleague at work got one of the first Auris Hybrids when they came out last year and he had it back to the dealers several times for the alarm going off during the night for no reason.

They changed various sensors with no success until the last one, which was in the boot apparently. He's had no problem since.

• 1 month later...

I am currently experiencing this problem. I have an Auris Hyrbrid T-Spirit which was one of the first ones out. Have not had a problem with the alarm system up until the past 4 months my car alarm has gone off 8 times. It is parked on my drive and always goes off between the early hours of 3-4am for NO reason at all.

I have contacted my local dealer on many occasions about this fault. It got booked in on 9th Jan 2012 and I was told there was a slight fault with the intruder alarm so it has now been replaced. Only one week later the alarm goes off again and its booked in again for 25th Jan 2012. (alarm went off again this morning at 3.30am)

I have spoken to the manager at my local dealer and when I told him that it must be a sensor issue he was quite adament that the "intruder alarm" that I had replaced is the sensor. Surely there are a number of sensors all over the car?? He also said that it might be a cat jumping on the bonnet or something. Why does this seem like a fob off?? There is no way its a cat as I have a security light and that doesnt come on when the alarm goes off.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem still? Running out of options if it turns out they cant find a problem.

Any ideas would be appreciated,

Thanks

A colleague at work had the same problem with his 2010 T4 Auris hybrid. The dealer replaced various sensors before finding the right one. I turned out to be one somewhere in the hatch area IIRC.

As korat102 posted, many reports that the culprit in a Prius is often the flip down sunglass holder. Don't know if the Auris has one.

Just wanted to update you all on my situation with the alarm. The car went in yesterday and it turns out Toyota are aware of this problem but my local dealer wasnt. Here is the explanation:

In the back panel of the car there is a sensitvity sensor. The reason for the alarm going off for no apparent reason is that the sensor has become "too sensitive". The guys that worked on my car were on the phone to Toyota's technical department who talked them through how to make it become less senstive. Unfortuantely the sensor is not adjustable so what they have had to do is soundproof it.

Hopefully this sorts the problem and I hope it helps anyone else out there.

Good luck guys

That sounds like what my colleague at work said about his.

That sounds like what my colleague at work said about his.

Sounds like its a common problem they have.

Thanks for your input as it helped confim that there was definately something wrong with it

Just wanted to update you all on my situation with the alarm. The car went in yesterday and it turns out Toyota are aware of this problem but my local dealer wasnt. Here is the explanation:

In the back panel of the car there is a sensitvity sensor. The reason for the alarm going off for no apparent reason is that the sensor has become "too sensitive". The guys that worked on my car were on the phone to Toyota's technical department who talked them through how to make it become less senstive. Unfortuantely the sensor is not adjustable so what they have had to do is soundproof it.

Hopefully this sorts the problem and I hope it helps anyone else out there.

Good luck guys

Hopefully, it does and thank you for taking the trouble to update this thread.