Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dirty Window

Hi all, Just a question about the rear window and how mucky it becomes when it's persisting down out on our wonderfully smooth UK roads. I am very pleased that Mr. T decided to fit a wiper on the back window, but, it gets filthy really quick after using the wash/wiper to clear a gap in the muck. Do you think that A. Rear mud flaps would help resolve this matter, or B. The fitting of the spoiler at the top of the hatch? I am thinking more likely mud flaps will solve it, but await your knowledgeable reply's. Ta. :huh:

"My car keeps getting dirty, and i'm not happy with Mr T" Actually, I am satisfied with Mr. T, but as for the car getting dirty, that is a problem that will likely not be solved for some time. The biggest issue here is that we live out in the country, tractorville! The crap -literally- on the roads is terrible, especially this time of year. Anything I can do -aside from stay at home- to keep it clean I will.

Thanks for the tip on the Rain-X Fish. I only used to put one coat on, not because I'm a miserly git, just that I thought it was enough. Thinking on the principle of Rain-X, it makes sense.

Johnan, I am thinking about making a diffuser for the car, much like others have done on here. As for the Mr. T version, too expensive -or so my Wife tells me. :lol: I quite like diffusers, even if the car will never get up to a speed where one -an aerodynamic one at least- will work.

Edited by Guest

Hi all, Just a question about the rear window and how mucky it becomes when it's persisting down out on our wonderfully smooth UK roads. I am very pleased that Mr. T decided to fit a wiper on the back window, but, it gets filthy really quick after using the wash/wiper to clear a gap in the muck. Do you think that A. Rear mud flaps would help resolve this matter, or B. The fitting of the spoiler at the top of the hatch? I am thinking more likely mud flaps will solve it, but await your knowledgeable reply's. Ta. :huh:

I have had mudflaps on both my IQs and wouldn't say they helped much to keep the rear screen cleaner.

They would have to nearly touch the ground to make much difference and they certainly don't do that, they are just an extension to the existing lower rear wing.

A spoiler might help, but I find the rear wash/wipe works perfectly well when required.

The air flow sucks all the dirt onto the window, all flat backed vehicles do it, nothing can be done.

Keep the washer bottle topped up, or dont drive when its wet :lol: ;)

• Like 2

Cleaning your rear screen with 'Rain-X' or 'Clear Screen' type products after having washed your car can help discourage the dirt.

I think Rear Mud Flaps make it worse,

& i think the fitting of a Rear Sports Kit 'Defuser/lower valance, ice/slush catcher'

brings dirt on to the rear screen worst of all.

george

Thanks for the helpful replies. So, aside from using the wash/wipe there is nothing I can do, apart from some Rain-X, which I have. Soon I will apply some of that to all the windows. I suppose that is why so many van back-ends are !Removed! looking, aided by a few choice words like, 'Clean Me,' or 'So and so is a Muppet.' There was me thinking Mr. T was great with aerodynamics. Maybe the back is one of the few parts he got wrong? :mellow:

Thanks for the helpful replies. So, aside from using the wash/wipe there is nothing I can do, apart from some Rain-X, which I have. Soon I will apply some of that to all the windows. I suppose that is why so many van back-ends are !Removed! looking, aided by a few choice words like, 'Clean Me,' or 'So and so is a Muppet.' There was me thinking Mr. T was great with aerodynamics. Maybe the back is one of the few parts he got wrong? :mellow:

It is just an aerodynamic function of a hatchback which MrT could have minimised by fitting lip spoilers or other baffles around the back end but it all costs money and detracts from the aesthetics, so ends up not being done as much as it could.

The lower area of the back looks a bit unfinished in standard form and benefits from some extra bits and pieces such as mud flaps and valance.

But these are totally non-functional and are loved or hated in equal measure, as to whether they are a cosmetic success or not.

Those things between the Rear quarter window & rear screen do a pretty good job IMO.

Try not having them there and the rear window really does get dirty.

george

I've not got the mud flaps but I do have the spoiler and lower diffuser fitted and I just take it as one of those things for having a square'd *****!

If you're going down the rain-x route, I'd give it a couple of coatings with approx. 30 mins between. Then anything should just roll off.

Fish

This thread needs to be renamed to "My car keeps getting dirty, and i'm not happy with Mr T" :lol: ;)

I fixed it !!!!!!

I fitted a camera lol ha ha ok I lost the plot

David

Huh? David???

Anyways... here the set-up of putting mud-flaps on your car... I do not thing it makes the rear window get less worse/dirty.

But the car does look better... cheap and good... :) And pics with SUMMER tires and rims..

DSC07422.jpg

Here the pics...

The joke was i dont care how muddy my rear window gets i just press the camera button and all is clear again lol

David

But those rear flaps only work if you 'DONT' have the rear skirt fitted. :(

Fish

It appears that mud flaps don't do a great job with the diffuser fitted, and still are not so good just on their own. I also remembered that the handle and button to open the tailgate is covered in road crud too. Not so bad if you've just pulled up outside your own home -or somewhere you can wash your hands. Perhaps David (Tarquin) could come up with another solution; like a downward pointing windscreen wash, only for the handle and button area.

Or, just have a glove you don't care about, or something like, to 'utilise' the handle... oh dear, this is dragging on isn't it?

Thanks for the 'how to' pics Peter. By the way, is there anything not fitted to your car? ;)

The joke was i dont care how muddy my rear window gets i just press the camera button and all is clear again lol

David

Doesn't the camera lens get covered in the same **** !!!

Sorry to drag this out :wacko:

Dave

Strangely no. It gets a small amount of condensation on it some mornings but once wiped its clear all day

David

David!!...you are missing a trick, here!!

how about an electric boot lid release..........can't be that difficult........maybe even a remote on the keyfob, a la Bentley GTC..

should sort you out for the long winter months!

cheers barryc

Hi Barry

Technically i can oi it but not on the same key fob. You would need another fob. But all that said, it would unlock but not lift up because its not counerbalanced You would still have to lift it with the handle. So no real benefit

David

Tarquin, I think Barry wants it motorised lol

Tarquin, I think Barry wants it motorised lol

Mmm The thing is because its not counter balanced, that is a lot of hardware and cut-off switches ect and nowhere to fit them.

David

Solution, scrap the overhead hinges and swap them for side mounted hinges to open the back like a door rather than a hatch. That way no counter balance is required yahoo.gif

It appears that mud flaps don't do a great job with the diffuser fitted, and still are not so good just on their own. I also remembered that the handle and button to open the tailgate is covered in road crud too. Not so bad if you've just pulled up outside your own home -or somewhere you can wash your hands. Perhaps David (Tarquin) could come up with another solution; like a downward pointing windscreen wash, only for the handle and button area.

Or, just have a glove you don't care about, or something like, to 'utilise' the handle... oh dear, this is dragging on isn't it?

Thanks for the 'how to' pics Peter. By the way, is there anything not fitted to your car? ;)

YEP... this is NOT fitted... thankyou...

minigun3.jpg

And I DO have a diffuser...

DSC03824-1.jpg

Peter

David!!...you are missing a trick, here!!

how about an electric boot lid release..........can't be that difficult........maybe even a remote on the keyfob, a la Bentley GTC..

should sort you out for the long winter months!

cheers barryc

Barry, the Smart has a button in the front.. if you press it, the rear opens...

It also opens by a press on the third button of the car-key...

David must be able to build a button in the front of the car to press.... :yes:

Peter

Take a look at this (not sure if allowed to post links, please correct me if not) http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=18057&sid=2d3425c204031fc061355e39e12a4e24

Some German genius over at the BMW 1 series forum fitted springs into the trunk door so that when a button is pressed on the key fob, it opens by itself. I know our iQ's don't have the luxury of a boot button on the fob but perhaps our own genius David could come up with something :P that's you're counterbalance issue solved.

Jordan

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links