Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Smoke Problem

maanse

Hi guys,

Im new here and have been looking at this forum for quite a while so i thought id register and ask my question.

Ok here goes.

I've had my Avensis for nearly 3 months now, and after having a lot a silly little problems with it (all fixed by dealer) ive just noticed last week that there is a fair amount of white smoke coming from the exhaust. The smoke seems to be intermittent and i cant always recreate the smoke. The burst of smoke seems to last for about 1-2 seconds normally but on a 2 mile drive i would notice it probably 2-3 times. I took the car back to the dealer and they had it checked, the garages response was that it was normal for a car with this mileage. Im not convinced that is true tho...... Any suggestions on what i can do?

Car details:

Toyota Avensis 2.0 D-Cat.

year: 2004

102,000 miles.

Just had a full service.

Also is it right to only get about 30mpg around town?

Hi guys,

Im new here and have been looking at this forum for quite a while so i thought id register and ask my question.

Ok here goes.

I've had my Avensis for nearly 3 months now, and after having a lot a silly little problems with it (all fixed by dealer) ive just noticed last week that there is a fair amount of white smoke coming from the exhaust. The smoke seems to be intermittent and i cant always recreate the smoke. The burst of smoke seems to last for about 1-2 seconds normally but on a 2 mile drive i would notice it probably 2-3 times. I took the car back to the dealer and they had it checked, the garages response was that it was normal for a car with this mileage. Im not convinced that is true tho...... Any suggestions on what i can do?

Car details:

Toyota Avensis 2.0 D-Cat.

year: 2004

102,000 miles.

Just had a full service.

Also is it right to only get about 30mpg around town?

Welcome to TOC :toast:

This is starting to sound like a headgasket failure unless I'm mistaken?!!!... Hows the coolant level? Any black tinge to it? Cabin heater working okay and engine temp okay? This could help you...

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=10737

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Coolant level is ok and looks a nice red colour. Cabin heater seems to work ok too. and engine temp is normally around halfway when warm.

Ive had a look at the document and im unsure what it means exactly.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Coolant level is ok and looks a nice red colour. Cabin heater seems to work ok too. and engine temp is normally around halfway when warm.

Ive had a look at the document and im unsure what it means exactly.

Then you should be okay... The doc is something that could be used in order to get a new engine FOC if your car falls into the 7 year 112k for EGR valve problems or the head gasket fail. I'd get Toyota to take a look at the car if this doc is helpful :thumbsup:

The white smoke is a definite sign of a head gasket about to go or going as water/anti freeze is entering the cylinder, i would have it pressure tested or sniff tested (using a chemical colour change kit) to be sure. Is the dealer a Mr T or just a normal garage? If you just got it the previous owner could have sold it for this reason.

The TB doesnt cover a 2004 car according to the production dates on it, although the age engine type could be the same.

Unfortunately the dealer is just a garage not a Toyota dealer. So does that mean I wouldn't be able to use the extended warranty? If not dealer is paying!

If you read the TB its Avensis's produced after 2005, whether Mr T would assist on your 2004 is unknown. I would get someone to test the head and confirm if you have an issue. If you do then the selling garage should resolve it. If they get Mr T to fix it or contribute towards it thats not really your issue, you just want it fixed.

Hang on guys! According to the OP's description of the car it says this is an Avensis D-CAT which, unless I'm mistaken, means the car has a diesel particulate filter on the exhaust system. From what I gather on how this works, that'll almost certainly be what's causing the white smoke as it goes through a 'regeneration' cycle, where it uses a 5th fuel injector fitted directly into the exhaust system to burn off soot particles. Which, if that's the case, the white smoke is nothing to worry about. As long as coolant & oil levels are fine & there's no visible signs of leaks or coolant residue on the engine cover, the car is mechanically sound.

I hope that's the case mind. Never seen this white smoke before/never caught a Toyota D-CAT performing a 'regen'.

Hang on guys! According to the OP's description of the car it says this is an Avensis D-CAT which, unless I'm mistaken, means the car has a diesel particulate filter on the exhaust system. From what I gather on how this works, that'll almost certainly be what's causing the white smoke as it goes through a 'regeneration' cycle, where it uses a 5th fuel injector fitted directly into the exhaust system to burn off soot particles. Which, if that's the case, the white smoke is nothing to worry about. As long as coolant & oil levels are fine & there's no visible signs of leaks or coolant residue on the engine cover, the car is mechanically sound.

I hope that's the case mind. Never seen this white smoke before/never caught a Toyota D-CAT performing a 'regen'.

Good point, if it is a D-Cat it will be a very rare car compared with the standard D-4D of that age and as you say would do the re gen.

hi guys, again thanks for the replies. It is definitely a D-Cat so lets hope it is just the car doing a regen. Ive checked the coolant levels and colour and both seem good, the car seems to drive ok and oil level hasn't dropped so hopefully its nothing to worry about....

Fingers crossed eh?

I've noticed that when the re-gen is happening the engine makes a diffrent tone. Its slighty lower pitch when the bonnet is open. But I've never seen any white smoke out of the exhaust when this happens. I've not checked to see where the OP is from, but if you want me to do a pressure test (Snap-on) FOC of course I'd be happy to. :thumbsup:

I've noticed that when the re-gen is happening the engine makes a diffrent tone. Its slighty lower pitch when the bonnet is open. But I've never seen any white smoke out of the exhaust when this happens. I've not checked to see where the OP is from, but if you want me to do a pressure test (Snap-on) FOC of course I'd be happy to. :thumbsup:

That would be absolutely fantastic if you could.... i am in Caerphilly also. :yes:

That would be absolutely fantastic if you could.... i am in Caerphilly also. :yes:

Happy days Mark. Come on down :thumbsup:

PM me so we can arrange something...

Got to be a setup :lol: ;)

Ummmm.... Nope! :rolleyes::thumbsup:

Caerphilly must be a TOC member hotspot then :P ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Yay, someone else with a D-Cat! Had a similar problem myself a while back when it seemed to spew out smoke every ten seconds or so. Very embarrassing! Still does it now but not so badly. Hope its sorted for you now. I'm off to post a new topic because mine now smokes badly on acceleration and I need help ASAP!

Rob.

Hi there,

Im in the process of getting it sorted, i had it back from the garage yesterday and they seem to think its the dpf filter that's the problem. As you say though its very embarrassing. Trip to the main dealer next to see how much it will cost to put right.

Good Luck with yours.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links