Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aftermarket Driving Lamps?

carlb84

hi guys, im thinking of fitting some aftermarket driving lamps on my rav4.1. problem is i dont know if i can mount them on the bumper or if i need an 'A' bar. im having major trouble finding an 'A' bar at good price. all i can find is one on eBay £249 from poland! has anyone got any pics of a rav4.1 with spot/driving lamps fitted?

Also how do you remove a factory fitted towbar? its causing clearance issues off road!

thanks.

Last time I took a tbar off a RAV there was just 4 bolts to remove,but to save any possible trouble in removing these I gave them a drink of easing oil every day for a week.

If by factory fitted you mean by Toyota the I expect it will just mean removing some connectors between two others and then joining the two back together which are most likely under the panels in the back and a lead etc running to the front.

Del

plan is to just bag up and tape up the electrics and stow them up under the chassis somewhere. i think its a factory fit

Good thinking Carl, :thumbsup: then they will still be there if and when needed.

I like your style

May I also suggest you pack the sockets with grease before you bag em and stash em as there is water thrown around with considerable force under there that can find its way where you don't want it to!!

Del

I'm in no doubt they can be mounted just above the bumper,but you will need to engineer some sort of bracket system to support them.

Or you could ' fabricate ' a roof bar like mine,just clamp it onto existing roof bars,mount the lights on that.

I've thought recently of removing by cycle rack and altering my roof light set up ,so they are clamped to existing roof bars.

Shouldn't take too much work.:thumbsup:

I'm in no doubt they can be mounted just above the bumper,but you will need to engineer some sort of bracket system to support them.

Or you could ' fabricate ' a roof bar like mine,just clamp it onto existing roof bars,mount the lights on that.

I've thought recently of removing by cycle rack and altering my roof light set up ,so they are clamped to existing roof bars.

Please correct me if I wrong but are they not illegal if mounted up there for road use

Del

Eye Up Bothy is that Rav 1 or Rav 2?

Regards Clare

do you run with generator on the back!!!!!

Please correct me if I wrong but are they not illegal if mounted up there for road use

Del

Well....TBH,i've never been pulled by the police, and mine come on with main beam ( as you can see in my ' album ' )

I see a lot of 4x4's with roof mounted lights,which gave me the idea to do mine....imagine all the lorries you see with lights up top,when they ' flash ' to let someone pull out,or as another truck pass..most flash ALL their lights.

BUT i do disconnect them for MOT ....just in case ;) ,i have a simple plug & socket just tucked in the channel to the right of the rear door,just pull that apart ....easy...takes seconds.

I am also very,very carefull indeed about oncoming traffic at night....and only use them very briefly if approaching vehicle is on high beam & blinding me :rolleyes: .

But on country lanes in the winter, they give some serious illumination :thumbsup: :thumbsup: and great eyeshine from wildlife ;)

Eye Up Bothy is that Rav 1 or Rav 2?

Regards Clare

do you run with generator on the back!!!!!

Its number 1 taken a couple of years ago... and it doesn't need a genny as the engine runs at 7000rpm - well fast enough to provide enough juice !

where can i get bull bars like that? also i dont have roof bars where do u run the wiring when roof mounting lights?

where can i get bull bars like that? also i dont have roof bars where do u run the wiring when roof mounting lights?

Well if you have a Rav4 4.1 like Bothy's......the first thing is to buy a cheap Roof Rack that locks into your roof channels ..if thats possible.

Once you have made a cheap bar like mine ...£10 from B&Q,or bolt lights straight onto Roof Rack.:huh:

Then you can run the wiring along the bar you have used for lights ( or inside it),then along the roof in the channels ( which you clip said Roof Rack into ),then down right hand ride of back door opening,under carpet .....alongside drivers seat ( under plastic trim) then up into dash.

At that point you should see the cable to connect into. ( this was the bit i paid a auto electrician to do) i just gave him plenty of slack wire to play with :thumbsup:

This is all assuming that wires CAN be laid in roof channels ?...and the same fuse box lurks in same place as mine ?

Once the wires dissapear under the carpet at base of the rear door opening,they cannot be seen at all..nice & neat :D

All this saves drilling a hole in the roof...not a good idea,holes,grommits...leaks :o