Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Side Steps.

Paulus17

Does anyone have any of the cheaper copy sidesteps on their Rav,and if you do what do you think of em??

Mrs P. would like a set on the new Rav,but was roughly quoted £500 from Toyota fitted :eek:

I have been looking at These which seem to have a good feedback and nearly half the price of original Toyotas.

Thank you :thumbsup:

Edit-:Just seen that the new Rav we are getting is a 4.2 so have just edited my post about the mudflaps.I thought it was a 4.3. :rolleyes:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paulus17

• CharlieFarlie

• Davrav

• firemac

Does anyone have any of the cheaper copy sidesteps on their Rav,and if you do what do you think of em??

Mrs P. would like a set on the new Rav,but was roughly quoted £500 from Toyota fitted :eek:

I have been looking at These which seem to have a good feedback and nearly half the price of original Toyotas.

Also does anyone know if the mudflaps off a 2002 4.2 will fit a 2004 4.3??

The new Rav we are having doesn't have the mud flaps fitted and the dealer told us to take em off the old Rav and put em on the new one??

If the mud flaps are Toyota ones they will not fit as they are moulded to the wheel arch profile and the two cars are different.

Can't comment on the side steps. The genuine ones do come up on e-bay and are not difficult to fit.

Thanks Dav,i've just edited my post re-the mudflaps.

I would probably get me old mukka to fit em for me,so will keep me eyes peeled on eBay for some s/h genuine ones.

The new Rav we are having doesn't have the mud flaps fitted and the dealer told us to take em off the old Rav and put em on the new one??

Hi Paul,

There are quite a few 4x4 websites that can sell you sidesteps. Have a trawl & there's quite a selection of styles.

It might be worth double-checking that quote as it sounds a bit pricey; I recently had the Toyota steps fitted to our three-door and it wasn't anything like that expensive - afraid I can't check how much it was as I'm not at home. The quality of the Toyota steps is very good however. We've had them on our 02 reg 5-dr for years and they're still as good as new hence why I went with OE on the newer car. Also check how robust the fittings are for any non-OE steps - the thing about Mr.T's is that they are very robust, you can actually stand on them (for washing the roof, etc.without fear of the fittings bending. They can also take quite a bit of on & off-road abuse & help to protect the bottom half of the doors from damage,stone chips, road muck, etc.

The 2002 & 2004 are both 4.2's so I would have thought that the mud flaps were inter-changeable.

Jim

Hi Paul,

There are quite a few 4x4 websites that can sell you sidesteps. Have a trawl & there's quite a selection of styles.

It might be worth double-checking that quote as it sounds a bit pricey; I recently had the Toyota steps fitted to our three-door and it wasn't anything like that expensive - afraid I can't check how much it was as I'm not at home. The quality of the Toyota steps is very good however. We've had them on our 02 reg 5-dr for years and they're still as good as new hence why I went with OE on the newer car. Also check how robust the fittings are for any non-OE steps - the thing about Mr.T's is that they are very robust, you can actually stand on them (for washing the roof, etc.without fear of the fittings bending. They can also take quite a bit of on & off-road abuse & help to protect the bottom half of the doors from damage,stone chips, road muck, etc.

The 2002 & 2004 are both 4.2's so I would have thought that the mud flaps were inter-changeable.

Jim

Thanks Jim. :thumbsup:

As nice as the after market ones look i would prefer genuine ones,especially seeing as how this Rav as gotta last us some time now,so if a good genuine S/H pair come along i will try and get em,but otherwise it will be new genuine,unless some one comes along with a good case for the AM ones??

If the mud flaps are Toyota ones they will not fit as they are moulded to the wheel arch profile and the two cars are different.

Can't comment on the side steps. The genuine ones do come up on e-bay and are not difficult to fit.

David.. Its only on the latest model that You cant fit mud flaps.. On the 4.3 you definately can and also on the 4.2 I'm almost certain...

I fitted a full set of four mud-flaps to My neighbours 2011 version... All it took was a little trimming and fettling with the dremel and on they went and a factory fit they are as well...

So it is possible to fit the standard genuine Toyota Mud flaps to the very latest cars.... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Paul.. If You need help fitting I am in the Midlands over Christmas and New Year.. I have access to workshop with a full size ramp/lift so no crawling round on the floor..... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Edit-:Just seen that the new Rav we are getting is a 4.2 so have just edited my post about the mudflaps.I thought it was a 4.3. :rolleyes:

They do look very good Mate ! Where ever did You find those ?? :D :D

David.. Its only on the latest model that You cant fit mud flaps.. On the 4.3 you definately can and also on the 4.2 I'm almost certain...

Yeah, there was confusion in the original post - seemed to be asking if 4.2 flaps would fit a 4.3............

All sorted now :thumbsup:

Hi Paul,

Jim

As nice as the after market ones look i would prefer genuine ones,especially seeing as how this Rav as gotta last us some time now,so if a good genuine S/H pair come along i will try and get em,but otherwise it will be new genuine,unless some one comes along with a good case for the AM ones??

Hi Paul,

Home now & checked the fitting price for our Toyota steps - £271.00. I can't imagine the 5-dr ones being that much dearer.

I have found that over the past 12 years or so that Toyota's stuff is good quality & it lasts well. Averaged out over a period of years their stuff is at least as good value as any.

Jim

Paul.. If You need help fitting I am in the Midlands over Christmas and New Year.. I have access to workshop with a full size ramp/lift so no crawling round on the floor..... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks Charlie,thats very kind of you :thumbsup:

But it will depend if we get a set between now and Christmas,and what Mrs P as planned over the break??

Either way i will let you know :)

Hi Paul,

Jim

Hi Paul,

Home now & checked the fitting price for our Toyota steps - £271.00. I can't imagine the 5-dr ones being that much dearer.

I have found that over the past 12 years or so that Toyota's stuff is good quality & it lasts well. Averaged out over a period of years their stuff is at least as good value as any.

Jim

Thanks Jim :thumbsup:

Is that price just for the fitting,or with the steps included??

Hi Paul,

Jim

Hi Paul,

Jim

Hi Paul,

That's everything: the steps were £175 + VAT & fitting was £48.50 + VAT = £271.61 all in.

You should get another quote. I can't believe that the 5-dr steps would be that much more than the 3-dr.

Jim

They do look very good Mate ! Where ever did You find those ?? :D :D

Errm, somebody named Charlie sent me some links for me to look at :thumbsup: :D :D

Hi Paul,

Jim

Hi Paul,

Jim

Hi Paul,

That's everything: the steps were £175 + VAT & fitting was £48.50 + VAT = £271.61 all in.

You should get another quote. I can't believe that the 5-dr steps would be that much more than the 3-dr.

Jim

Thats a good price i'd say Jim as the steps alone are that price now,for genuine new ones.

I was supposed to have got a call yesterday with a proper price from the dealer but didn't,so i will mmention them again when we pick the Rav up the weekend all been well.

Just a quick question re-the mudflaps.

I have just taken one of the rear flaps off and it was just held on with three screws,two small ones for the top and a bigger screw underneath.

Can someone tell me is that all i have to do so i can put these on the newer Rav.

Are the new fixings i'll need on the newer Rav already on or will i need to get the screws fixings off,which i must admit can't see how i would??

Cheers.

Merry Christmas :xmas:

Paul wouldn,t think so, the screw -holes will already be there on youre newer Rav (presuming they fit the nre Rav)

Cheers Clare

I fitted mud flaps to our 08 Rav. Of the 3 screws, there were only two ready made holes. The 3rd one simply had a tiny indentation, which u had to screw into. Right pain in the @ss and a little bit of a concern at the time as its tricky lining it up with the screw holder thing u need to position in place.

Thanks Clare/Redross :thumbsup:

So would there be any point in me taking the old MFs off to put on the other Rav if i need the fixings for the screws :huh:

I'm not sure if there was any MFs fitted to the newer Rav so not sure if the fixings would be there??

So would there be any point in me taking the old MFs off to put on the other Rav if i need the fixings for the screws :huh:

I'm not sure if there was any MFs fitted to the newer Rav so not sure if the fixings would be there??

On the 4.3 some existing screws are used and some replaced with longer ones when fitting flaps.. You could just remove the flaps and hang onto them . Then install them on the new car later on. Bear in mind though that some of the screws and bolts will need to be slightly longer so make a note of them on removal.

It should be a doddle getting the longer ones from a decent motor factor.. Or measure them and I will send You some in stainless steel from my very large bin of fixings in the garage.

I paid 120 for mine off eBay. Not had any problems with them and they fit quite well. I managed to keep the mudflaps, Eallbeit a little flexed forward to fit. They take my 19st without too much protest.

f165fa24.jpg

353560f6.jpg

4f9b79b2.jpg

On the 4.3 some existing screws are used and some replaced with longer ones when fitting flaps.. You could just remove the flaps and hang onto them . Then install them on the new car later on. Bear in mind though that some of the screws and bolts will need to be slightly longer so make a note of them on removal.

It should be a doddle getting the longer ones from a decent motor factor.. Or measure them and I will send You some in stainless steel from my very large bin of fixings in the garage.

Thanks Charlie :thumbsup:

It's the screws fixings that i am thinking about Charlie,the part that the screw screws into.

I'm not sure if it's these that are already in place on the Rav or i've gotta put em there??

Thank you Benxt,those look pretty good to me :thumbsup:

How long have you had them for ??

Thanks Charlie :thumbsup:

It's the screws fixings that i am thinking about Charlie,the part that the screw screws into.

I'm not sure if it's these that are already in place on the Rav or i've gotta put em there??

Most are there I think there are a couple of additional captives but You should be removing these along with the flaps off Your old car.. They can easily be faked with nyloc nuts and stainless bolts or screws anyway.. Just take off You existing ones off the old car before trading it in and We will sort out the gubbins later on ??..... :thumbsup:

I couldn't see how the brackets for the screws came off as they seemed to be behind the protective plastic on the wheelarch :huh:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links