Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coolant Pressure Testing..... For Mistermena...

CharlieFarlie

Im putting this up For Mistermena... He will explain.......

a128571e01.png

CHECK COOLING SYSTEM FOR LEAKS

CHECK ENGINE COOLANT LEVEL OF RESERVOIR

CHECK ENGINE COOLANT QUALITY

Fill the radiator with coolant, and then attach a radiator cap tester.

Warm up the engine.

Pump the radiator cap tester to 137 kPa (1.4 kgf/cm2, 19 psi), and then check that the pressure does not drop.

If the pressure drops, check the hoses, radiator and water pump for leakage.

If there are no signs of external coolant leaks, check the heater core, cylinder block and head.

Reinstall the radiator cap.

Im putting this up For Mistermena... He will explain.......

a128571e01.png

CHECK COOLING SYSTEM FOR LEAKS

CHECK ENGINE COOLANT LEVEL OF RESERVOIR

CHECK ENGINE COOLANT QUALITY

Fill the radiator with coolant, and then attach a radiator cap tester.

Warm up the engine.

Pump the radiator cap tester to 137 kPa (1.4 kgf/cm2, 19 psi), and then check that the pressure does not drop.

If the pressure drops, check the hoses, radiator and water pump for leakage.

If there are no signs of external coolant leaks, check the heater core, cylinder block and head.

Reinstall the radiator cap.

You're an absolute star mate. Thanks very much for the post :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Okay... As Charlie said I will explain the thread.

My Avensis T-180 has had 2 new rebuilt engines in to date, but I'm still using a lot of oil and coolant. The cars been back into the dealer now on quite a few occasions (But they say theres nothing wrong) as I've also noticed white (Splatter) residue marks on the black engine top cover. I suspect that there is a problem so I've purchased a (Snap-on) coolant system pressure tester in order to do my own tests.

Once this has been done I'll report back my findings! I just hope that I'm wrong and the dealer is correct! but if that is the case this would not account for the drop in both the oil and coolant and the white marks...

Once again a big thanks to Charlie for all his help with this 2AD engine. :yes:

Sadly a pressure test will not always reveal head gasket leaks as the pressure inside the combustion chamber will be much higher that that you can attain on a pressure tester. If you suspect a head gasket leak a chemical test of the coolant for combustion gases is usually a more reliable method.

The presure escaping form the combustion chamber can be around the 150 psi region whereas the test kit barely goes to an eighth of this value so it is possible 150 psi will leak through gaps the 19 psi can't.