Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Haolebuilt Ii Build Thread

surfcitylocal

A huge thank you to the newest sponsor for Haolebuilt II, Pecca Leather. They used my iQ for two weeks to R&D seat covers. The covers will be available soon for all Scion iQ's and are currently available in Japan for the Toyota iQ. I am very impressed with the quality of the leather and the craftsmanship of the seats. Here are some pictures...

DSCN1747.jpg

DSCN1746.jpg

DSCN1745.jpg

DSCN1736.jpg

DSCN1735.jpg

DSCN1738.jpg

DSCN1758.jpg

DSCN1757.jpg

You can find their website here: Pecca Leather

Very nice indeed, looks very smart indeed :kewlpics:

But the head rests do remind me of iRobot for some reason ;)

Either that Mark or the face from the movie Scream. LOL

I finally got around to installing my front camera today. It's from Eric and the guys at Beat-Sonic USA. it is designed to be mounted on the license plate frame. I modified mine to allow me to mount it on the lower front grill.

I have a switch module that I also received from Beat-Sonic USA but I did not have time to install it today. It will allow me to switch camera views from front to back. For now I have the front camera connected to the Navi using the Aux Video input. It doesn't provide me with the wide screen view that the rear camera has but that problem will be solved once the module is installed.

Here are some pics of the camera installed...

DSCN1803.jpg

DSCN1809.jpg

DSCN1802.jpg

The view from the front camera...

DSCN1805.jpg

The view from the rear camera...

DSCN1806.jpg

Thanks again to Eric and everyone at Beat-Sonic USA for the camera, it will some in handy when I'm riding low and have to park in a spot with a concrete bump.

A huge thank you to Neil, Sergio and Leo at Classic Soft Trim for the new sunroof in my iQ. It's a high quality sunroof with lots of features. It opens all the way or stops at any point you wish. It vents. It has a factory colored sunshade. The sunroof closes automatically when the ignition is turned off. No noise when driving with the sunroof closed, no cavitation even when driving at speed on the freeway. I'm very impressed with the sunroof and the professional installation.

Here are some pictures and a video...

DSCN1835.jpg

DSCN1834.jpg

DSCN1826.jpg

DSCN1830.jpg

DSCN1827.jpg

DSCN1829.jpg

DSCN1833.jpg

DSCN1828.jpg

DSCN1831.jpg

You can find them here: Classic Soft Trim

That looks a superb installation. Did they use the head lining they cut out to trim the sun shade?

Very neat indeed.

That looks a superb installation. Did they use the head lining they cut out to trim the sun shade?

Very neat indeed.

They actually use headliner material that is color matched to the interior. I'll be covering the headliner next week with bone colored vinyl to match the leather on the seats.

I changed the power source for the power port (cigarette lighter) in the iQ today. I hate it when I have to turn the ignition to the ACC or ON position to charge my cell phone.

It was a simple job. I cut the lead to the power port, spliced on a new wire and ran it to a source that is powered constantly. I added a 7 amp in-line fuse as well. Easy job and now I can charge my cell phone without turning on the ignition!

DSCN1873-001.jpg

DSCN1872-001.jpg

DSCN1875-001.jpg

I installed the CS1 Camera Interface from Beat-Sonic in the iQ today. It allows me to switch back and forth between my front and rear cameras. When the iQ is put into reverse the rear camera comes on, when I depress the small switch it turns on the front camera for three seconds. There is an option to connect the speed sensor wire as well and the front camera will turn on automatically when the iQ drops below 3 mph. I chose not to use this option since the camera would turn on at stop signs and lights and that's not what I need it for.

The installation was easy once I found out which wire to the headunit carries the reverse signal.

Here is the switch...

DSCN1926.jpg

The rear camera view...

DSCN1928.jpg

The front camera view...

DSCN1927.jpg

A short video showing how it works...

Many thanks to Beat-Sonic USA for the interface.

I tried out my new door rods from WAK Shop today. We use them at car shows when we want to leave the door open but not allow people to enter the vehicle. They are made well and powder coated white to match the iQ. Nice fitment and they will come in handy.

DSCN1980.jpg

DSCN1981.jpg

DSCN1982.jpg

DSCN1983.jpg

The-Most-Interesting-Man-in-the-World-001.jpg

I had the honor today of having the very first OEM Audio + Reference 300CF System installed in my iQ. Daniel and Richard from OEM Audio + met me at the FIVE:AD secret garage and installed the system.

To say that the stock audio system in the Scion iQ is lacking is more than an understatement. There is not a lot of room to add an audio system inside the iQ so I was overjoyed to have OEM Audio + use my iQ as the first to get the system installed.

Here is what the system consists of:

Two 1" Soft Dome Tweeters

Two 6.5" Carbon Fiber Cone Woofers

One 8" Carbon Fiber Subwoofer with enclosure

One Mulit-Channel 32-bit DSP Power Amplifier

One Quick Sync Wiring Harness

The Speakers are installed in the stock locations and the amplifier is mounted under the dash behind the passenger side airbag. You can see the subwoofer enclosure mounted behind the rear seat but other than that the system is invisible.

The sound quality is nothing short of amazing. I had heard the system demonstration last year at the FVIE:AD open house event and knew right then they had something special. Even my wife was impressed and she is not easily impressed.

Along with the installation there is a CD included that really tests out the system. If you start the CD and close your eyes you would never guess you were sitting in that little car. The sound is big, really big and clean. Listening to all different types of music today gave me such a thrill, some rap, classical, vocals and even country sounded spectacular. If I sound like I'm gushing over this system, you will be too when you hear it.

If you see me at a show or event come over and I'll demonstrate it for you.

Here are some pictures of the system and installation...

Richard from OEM Audio + wiring the power.

DSCN1942.jpg

You can see the difference between the stock door speaker and the OEM Audio + 6.5" Carbon Fiber Cone Woofer. The bass that comes from the door now is deep and clean.

DSCN1947.jpg

Installing the door Speakers in the stock location. No speaker rings needed, these are made to fit exactly the stock mounts in the door.

DSCN1948.jpg

Shows the difference between the wimpy little 1" tweeter from Scion and the beefy 1" soft dome tweeter from OEM Audio +. Super clean highs.

DSCN1956.jpg

The tweeter is installed in the stock location.

DSCN1954.jpg

The 32-bit DSP Power Amplifier is mounted beneath the dash and behind the passenger side air bag.

DSCN1961.jpg

The 8" Carbon Fiber Subwoofer Enclosure is specifically designed for the iQ's cabin and fits perfectly behind the rear seat. (removal of the storage bin is required)

DSCN1970.jpg

DSCN1975.jpg

DSCN1950.jpg

There is no way to explain how great this system sounds without hearing it in person.

Many thanks to OEM Audio + for the system and installation today at FIVE:AD. I'm in love with my sounds!

OEM Audio +

DSCN1940.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to get the interior looking more to my taste for the T.O.R.C. All Toyotafest car show, my favorite of the year.

I removed the dash and painted the center pieces black, also painted the red trim on the upper dash.

DSCN2010.jpg

DSCN2011.jpg

DSCN2012.jpg

DSCN2014.jpg

DSCN2016.jpg

DSCN2033.jpg

I took the iQ to the show and it was displayed in the FIVE:AD booth.

DSCN2048.jpg

DSCN2052.jpg

DSCN2046.jpg

I ran out of room on the windshield for sponsors so I had to put the roll call on the door.

DSCN2051.jpg

Won Second Place in the xA, xD & iQ category. The woman to my right won Third Place with her xD and the woman on my left won First Place with her xA.

DSCN2061.jpg

My wife at the show with me...

DSCN2062.jpg

And checking out the new Scion FR-S. She really likes it but wants a white one.

DSCN2064.jpg

DSCN2065.jpg

Went out to dinner with some car club friends and one of them drives this Hot Lava iQ.

DSCN2068.jpg

Good times.

Luckily the doors are big for a small car, so you have plenty more room for sponsors :)

Great pictures and well done on your win.

Thank you guys. It was a really fun show. Right on the water of Long Beach harbor next to the Queen Mary. Beautiful day for a car show.

Massive area down by the boat. I found the long beach area a pretty nice way to spend a day.

Me thinks I need to catch a show when I'm next out there.

Fish

I built a stand for my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 from a couple of microphone stand goosenecks, a base and a mic holder that I modded. I used a sheet of black plastic cut to the size of the Tab and two brackets to mount the Tab to the stand. Velcro holds the Tab onto the plastic backing plate.

Now I can use my rooted Droid Razr as a wifi hotspot and access the internet from my iQ. I have Pandora and Google Play music for audio, Netflix for movies and I can check my email, skype and Facebook from my car on a 10.1 inch screen.

Lots of fun!

IMG_3557.jpg

IMG_3555.jpg

IMG_3563.jpg

IMG_3561.jpg

IMG_3562.jpg

I was not happy with the performance of the goose neck while the car was in motion. It was not a sturdy as I had hoped and had a tendency to move around with the turns and braking of the iQ.

I was able to use some 3/4" PVC pipe along with a cap and a washer that I made from some spare plastic to build a support for the lower part of the goose neck. The stand is much more sturdy now and I am happy with the results. Sometimes a new mod doesn't always work the first time around.

DSCN2199.jpg

DSCN2200.jpg

DSCN2191.jpg

Went to the Scion FR-S release party last night at Penske Scion. They wanted the iQ on display as well as the FR-S models. Danny and the guys from JDMZPITIES took a great shot of my ride.

457394_381114381925780_275099355860617_946149_1268398365_o.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Haolebuilt II won 1st Place K-Car and 2nd Place Scion at the Wek-Fest L.A. show in Long Beach at the Queen Mary.

459890_4155060522757_1471287708_33601675_467032476_o.jpg

DSCN2494.jpg

DSCN2495.jpg

DSCN2398.jpg

DSCN2402.jpg

Reppin' the Air-Runner booth.

DSCN2404.jpg

Nice one Taz. Just in passing the Penske dealership in the States, I believe they own the Frank Sytner dealerships in the UK.

Regards Clare