Do Not Sell My Personal Information

D4D Oil Filter Socket

anchorman

I've now used the one in the photo and it fits perfectly. I have had the steel ones stuck before but knowing the "Lexus" sockets exist I won't be using the steel ones any more.

Where did you get your socket?

It does yes. This is the one I bought;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-LEXUS-Aluminum-OIL-FILTER-SOCKET-64-5mm-/250940849674?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item3a6d3d7e0a

Laser do this version which might turn out to be quite good quality but I can't tell if it is pressed steel.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0039316B2/ref=asc_df_B0039316B25708875?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B0039316B2

Either way, the slots engage the lugs on the housing and it has to be better than these cheap 64 or 65mm tin sockets.

Just ordered the Laser one, Don....description lists as "aluminium"....will report on its usefullity and feel in near future, coz am intent on own oil changes forthwith...honest.

Big Kev :thumbsup:

Did I give you an oil filter?

2.... :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

As a new comer to the Rav4 and getting services that a works company won't be paying for I had the misfortune to get my car serviced with Parks of Hamilton. They told me the filter housing was seized and they would need to break the housing to get it off at a cost of £140 to me. No I didn't let them do that and after checking this site I went for a 'Lexus/Toyota oil filter cap wrench' Model No. VS7112 on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-VS7112-64-5mm-Oil-Filter-Cap-Wrench-14-Flutes-Lexus-Toyota-Engine-Tool-/310699935687 A local garage told me they had a tool and would change the filter for £24, I got them to check the fit of my tool and the mechanic said it was far better than the one he had and used mine to do the job with no problems.

• Like 3

Nice find Don,and looks really strong.

On a socket with so many sides that half a mil in size makes a big difference.

As a new comer to the Rav4 and getting services that a works company won't be paying for I had the misfortune to get my car serviced with Parks of Hamilton. They told me the filter housing was seized and they would need to break the housing to get it off at a cost of £140 to me. No I didn't let them do that and after checking this site I went for a 'Lexus/Toyota oil filter cap wrench' Model No. VS7112 on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-VS7112-64-5mm-Oil-Filter-Cap-Wrench-14-Flutes-Lexus-Toyota-Engine-Tool-/310699935687 A local garage told me they had a tool and would change the filter for £24, I got them to check the fit of my tool and the mechanic said it was far better than the one he had and used mine to do the job with no problems.

Good wan, Dave, considering it wouldah been a Toyota Tech, whatever TF that is, who probably tightened it on with a scaffold pole extension. Zit awrite if ma Ninglish mate Paul calls ye Don but? He's quite auld.......

• Like 2

Is that the new European common language Kev ;-)

Bit of everything in there..German,Gaelic and a hint of that Inglish

• Like 1

Just wait 'til next year, buster.........indefendence here we come..........Dorset here ah come.......caravan will do......

• Like 1

Parks did not have anything but the standard universal filter remover, they are not a Toyota dealer but I got the Rav4 from them.

I should have added that the tech that fitted the filter said the Sealey tool fitted like a glove.

Just noticed you are in Lanarkshire Kev (and in the pub). Dont use Parks in Motherwell for the MOT if you have a 13Pin socket, their tester is faulty and it failed my MOT

Just noticed you are in Lanarkshire Kev (and in the pub). Dont use Parks in Motherwell for the MOT if you have a 13Pin socket, their tester is faulty and it failed my MOT

Did you buy a silver Rav aff them, with a bonnet guard thingy on it, Dave.....?

I have the Laser 5160 and it is cast Aluminum.

I got mine from Machine Mart for £8.06 but it took nearly 2 weeks to be delivered to their store.

I haven't tried it yet but will do today.

Keith

I have the Laser 5160 and it is cast Aluminum.

I got mine from Machine Mart for £8.06 but it took nearly 2 weeks to be delivered to their store.

I haven't tried it yet but will do today.

Keith

Same wan as mine, but 4.2 owners beware......it fits their oil filter perfectfully, but snags on the engine casing due to large flange to accomodate dual diameters and pegs on 4.3 filter housing. I found one on eBay made of thin pressed steel of same diameter which worked great, 3/8" drive.

Bought mine (several years ago) from Toyota - 3/8" square drive - and not expensive.

Chris

Big KeV if yours fits OK then I'm not bothering trying mine. Its a bit cold for ducking under cars here today.

Its the knees that are knackered. Cold plays havoc, all those years down the pits (not).

Well the sun came out and raised the temp a few degrees so I decided to try my new oil filter socket and change the oil and filter. Socket fitted perfectly but I didn't need it.

The plug to the filter housing was a 3/8 square drive not a hex drive and when I started to remove the plug the whole filter housing came off complete with oil and filter. Pity really as I was looking forward to using the drain.

With the housing on the ground I tried to remove the drain plug without success and put it back as it came off. I'll give it another go next time its off.

Keith

Well the sun came out and raised the temp a few degrees so I decided to try my new oil filter socket and change the oil and filter. Socket fitted perfectly but I didn't need it.

The plug to the filter housing was a 3/8 square drive not a hex drive and when I started to remove the plug the whole filter housing came off complete with oil and filter. Pity really as I was looking forward to using the drain.

With the housing on the ground I tried to remove the drain plug without success and put it back as it came off. I'll give it another go next time its off.

Keith

Hi Keith,

there have been a few instances on here of garages ( some of who should definitely know better! ) using the filter drain plug to fit the housing to the engine. Mine is an external hexagon that has received this treatment from a garage not a million miles from you and there is no way that I can remove the plug anymore. I now have to use the same method as you to change the filter.

Come on Anchorman - you know it is now a plastic filter housing on the ALL NEW Rav !!!

.........the aluminium filter housing on the RAV diesel....

Best wishes

Guy

Oh yes!

For infor, the filter housing on the later 4.4 model is indeed plastic as Guy says!!!

Oh yes!

For infor, the filter housing on the later 4.4 model is indeed plastic as Guy says!!!

Disnae matter min......they will still use a blowtorch to loosen it......

• Like 1