Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keep Aygo And Wait For New Model Or Buy A Vw Up

BlackRumple

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should I keep Aygo and wait for new 2012 Aygo or get a VW UP in March 2012

• Keep Aygo and enjoy the money savings!!
    • Keep Aygo and wait for the all new 2012/13 model
    • Sell the Aygo and get the VW Up. It's the modern day Aygo and a change

Hey guys/gals,

Not really posted on the forums but long time lurker and wondered if you could help me make a decision.

My Aygo ownership is coming up to 3 years now and got the letter from Toyota asking me what I should do. Thing is I am not sure!

I love my little car but after 3 years with it I kinda want a change but then I am in no rush to get rid either.

Now the dilemma is having seen the new VW Up, i hate to admit it, but I have the same excited/curious feeling I had when the Aygo came out i.e. a cool looking small car which is cheap to run but without looking like a cheap skate. B)

Not really seen the replacement 2012/13 Aygo yet other than sketches, but hopefully with the VW Up/Skoda CityGo/Seat Mii trio getting great reviews, I am hoping the Toyota/Citroen/Pug trios rise to the occasion.

So here is the question: Do I wait and make a decision once the new Aygo comes out (I was told it was Summer 2012), Go for the VW up with those nostalgic VW camper van alloys or just ignore my boredom and enjoy my existing Aygo for another year, reaping the rewards of low cost motoring and slowing depreciation then get something completely different.

As we are an objective bunch us Aygo owners, I look forward to your views. :yes:

If you are still happy with the Aygo then keep it another year and save the money for the next one in a year's time.

My problem is I often change far too quickly!

David

Last week's Fifth Gear had a review of the Seat version. Looks the part, similar concept to the Aygo - cheap city runaround, 3 cylinder engine, but two outputs available - set to start from about £7,500. Auto emergency braking is standard.

Judging by customer reviews I'd also go for the Skoda version as their dealer support is supposedly far better than VW, who sell you a car then forget you exist. Skoda is £500 less than the VW too, which pays for the extra two rear doors and still leaves you with £150.

If your not anti Fiat - don't forget theres a new Panda coming out soon as well,

Could never face into the old model Panda inspite of recommending them to others, this inspite

of they being potentially being an ideal car for Mummy Red diesel.

Still thats irrational thought for you - but Pandas are good cars imo (hence my recommending them to others) - i just didn't

fancy the old ones myself.

New Panda looks nicer though

Red diesel

Hey guys/gals,

Not really posted on the forums but long time lurker and wondered if you could help me make a decision.

My Aygo ownership is coming up to 3 years now and got the letter from Toyota asking me what I should do. Thing is I am not sure!

I love my little car but after 3 years with it I kinda want a change but then I am in no rush to get rid either.

Now the dilemma is having seen the new VW Up, i hate to admit it, but I have the same excited/curious feeling I had when the Aygo came out i.e. a cool looking small car which is cheap to run but without looking like a cheap skate. B)

Not really seen the replacement 2012/13 Aygo yet other than sketches, but hopefully with the VW Up/Skoda CityGo/Seat Mii trio getting great reviews, I am hoping the Toyota/Citroen/Pug trios rise to the occasion.

So here is the question: Do I wait and make a decision once the new Aygo comes out (I was told it was Summer 2012), Go for the VW up with those nostalgic VW camper van alloys or just ignore my boredom and enjoy my existing Aygo for another year, reaping the rewards of low cost motoring and slowing depreciation then get something completely different.

As we are an objective bunch us Aygo owners, I look forward to your views. :yes:

Financially speaking, buying a new car and keeping it for only a few years is probably one of the worst decisions you can make. But there are other reasons for buying a new car, for example if it is a company car or you are on Motability.

All things being equal, I would hold onto your Aygo and save your money. We live in uncertain times and a shiny new car could be like an albatross around your neck if your circumstances change for the worse (Flying Spaghetti Monster forbid).

Also never buy a new model in its first 12 months of production, it will be full of glitches and bugs to be worked out; furthermore, wait and see what the SEAT and Skoda equivalents are like.

Edit to add: The VAG 3 cylinder engine doesn't have a balance shaft; instead, it uses a counter-balanced crankshaft which is a far cruder technology. The VW's engine simply will not be as good as the 1KR-FE we all know and love.

Take a test drive, you can't trust magazine reviews (Spend more on ad's get good reviews, except for Which? Possibly...) if you did most people would not be on this forum! :thumbsup:

An Up! is unlikely to loose much in the 1st year if they are in demand, so its not a huge risk really.

I've been thinking the same thing. Toyota offered me a brand new Go! to replace my 5-year old Black a couple of weeks back - I was very tempted but then remembered that the new Aygo will be arriving in 2012, and I too am quite taken by the up! and its siblings, as well as the new Panda. I'd wait, see what they're all like and then make a truly informed decision in 12 months time.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for your replies - certainly some food for thought there!

Thinking about it further I am veering to taking all your advice and keeping the Aygo for another year or so and if I still want a VW UP or even the Skoda citygo then get one. That way I avoid being the early adoptor suffering early glitches but also keep some money in the bank in case my circumstances change which does happen a lot being an IT contractor.

I actually saw that Fifth gear feature on telly too, but thought nah i prefer the Skoda and VW in looks. The Seat version looked like the Arosa and not that special. Loved the features like the emergency stop tho! Also not a fan of Jonny on that program. He just annoys me and has a face i want to slap. :unsure:

Red diesel - I would not class myself as anti Fiat per se, however I gave Fiat a chance when I wanted to get a 500 instead of the Aygo and never again. The dealers near me have not changed since the 80's so are still terrible. They even charge £200ish to perform a 1st year service on the 1.2 FIRE engine which is not exactly a new engine to Fiat. They esentially fitted the same unit to the Uno back in the day.

Anyway I paid a deposit for the 500, had the car ordered and had finance sorted, only to get phone call day before collection telling me they made a boo boo on the finance and I need to pay another 2k. To top it off, my car was in the showroom for a whole week with kids jumping in and out of it etc, when I specifically said to keep it in the back till March 1st. Suffice to say, I wanted a new car not an ex display model for an additional 2k, so I refused to pay it and they refused to discount. So got my deposit back there and then when I said they breached the contract not me. Shame as I agree the Panda may be quite good.

Will keep you posted and will even post a few pics when I do take the plunge in case some of you are thinking the same.

Have you thought about the IQ?

There's another thread over in the IQ section,where someone mentioned a comparison between the IQ and the Up that was done by Autocar

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=131539&st=0

Quote ""Jump out of the UP and into the Toyota, and the difference in feel is marked.

Surprisingly, the IQ feels more upmarket, weightier, and more like a car from a class, or even TWO classes, above. Bizarre when it weighs so little. The driver sits higher, and has a particularly good view of the road ahead. The front of the cabin wide and spacious, and the seats are very comfortable......................this IQ is decisively quicker away from rest than the VW, and ...more comfortable in urban conditions than its rival here.

In the IQ, the driver feels satisfyingly isolated from the surrounding chaos.........Its a better car than most would give it credit for, but it comes across as more a second car for the child free, an indulgence next to sharp, and smartly practical VW......on the other hand, the IQ feels almost limo like in this company....

Toyota though, is missing a trick with this IQ. It should build a stretched 4 seater version, that would result in an even more premium feeling car, and quite possibly give the Golf a run for its money"

• 10 months later...

Just test drove VW Up today and was very pleasantly surprised. VW Up is a far better car than the Aygo. It is roomier, has a large boot, is far quieter (both tyre-road noise and engine noise are suppressed), has sharper road handling, there is no wobbling even at high speeds (at speeds more than 120km/hour), has a far better suspension and feels like a bigger car than it actually is. One could easily take long drives on the motor way without being troubled by noise and bad suspension. Unfortunately, Aygo is out dated, noisy, wobbly, cramped and bouncy. I would definitely go for the Up next time if Toyota does not bring out a new better model of Aygo.

The Aygo/107 replacement is due in 2014.

Auto Express have a small picture of what is supposed to be the new Aygo on their website today.

Currently Aygo/C1/107 are produced by the joint venture between Toyota and PSA in Czechoslovakia - it will be interesting to see what happens with the joint venture in light of the PSA and General Motors partnership. GM's current city car (the Vauxhall/Opel Agila) was developed with Suzuki (Suzuki Splash), and must be due for replacement within the next couple of years.

Oooh, is it bigger? Is it, in fact, a Yaris Mk1?? :lol:

I noticed in the article that there might be a HSD version too :eek: (Where do they put the Battery!?!), so Kingo's prophecies are coming true! :lol:

Get yourself a Kia Picanto; that's what I did! Looks better than the Up and has more kit for the money too.

Plus 7 years warranty!

Get yourself a Kia Picanto; that's what I did! Looks better than the Up and has more kit for the money too.

Plus 7 years warranty!

Sorry,

I have to disagree. I drove Kia Picanto and thought that it was not to the level of Aygo and certainly not to the level of VW Up. The whole floor vibrated and the car was very noisy and unstable at motor way speed. I lost complete confidence in that car, but their other bigger car, Kia Ceed was certainly up to the level competing wth other cars of similar size.

You can't compare a Cee'd to an Aygo or Picanto...

I can't underwrite your experience though. The Picanto is more stable on the motorway, has better seats and

is so much quiter that the first couple of days I caught myself speeding due to the lack of noise in the interior...

But to each his own: I think the Picanto is so much more complete than an Aygo that I can't go back :P

As for the Up!: it's overpriced since it's a VW and doesn't even look like it's a VW...

When I said " but their other bigger car, Kia Ceed was certainly up to the level competing wth other cars of similar size", I was not comparing the Kia Ceed to Aygo or C1 but comparing the Kia Ceed to other bigger cars in it's own bigger car class where it stands out well and that shows that Kia is a competetive and a progressive car maker BUT I did not think that Kia Picanto was to the mark, That is what I was trying to say. Never mind all that, tastes in cars is very individual, and each to his own as yo ucorrectly mentioned.

By the way, your writing on the duplicating of passenger window switch was a clever bit. I have made a referrence to your article at VW Up forum because Up has the same åproblem as Aygo as far as the switch is concerned and some body wanted to know if there was a cure for that.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see my write-up still is of use to people.

And sorry I misread your bit ;)

Toyota Aygo = Cheap Motoring for Young People with fun go kart like handling and cheeky fun looks you buy this car with your heart for its looks and its cheap running costs, and the fact that its bare bone equipment might not suit drivers who come to expect this that and the other in every car the Aygo is heading more towards the drivers car feel where you can hear whats going on under the bonnet

toyota-aygo_1479125i.jpg

VW UP = More refined for drivers who require the luxuries it also looks more grown up therefore not as appealing to young people where image is important you buy this car with your head and so you get a highly kitted grown up car but the feeling of fun seems to be lost from it in its looks, it is german all practicallity no fun

VW-Up_2318045c.jpg

Both cars are fantastic and suit different Drivers just depends which driver you are

Viper,

the bigger question is how many Aygo drivers in this (and other C1 and peugeot 107 forums) have driven the VW Up/seat Mii/skoda Citigo and what they think of it? That will tell the real story. But then it is yet another poll. I know what I am going to say, if I have not allready said it! :)

so Kingo's prophecies are coming true! :lol:

Told ya :P

I was at the Toyota national conference last week, I saw some photo's, it looked superb!

Kingo :thumbsup:

so Kingo's prophecies are coming true! :lol:

Told ya :P

I was at the Toyota national conference last week, I saw some photo's, it looked superb!

Kingo :thumbsup:

Can't you smuggle out those photos and post them here, just for our eyes only? :)