Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just Bought A 40K 2000 Rav4 5Dr Nv 2.0 - First Thoughts

BeechCustom

Hey all

I just bought a very tidy 2.0 petrol RAV4 5dr 2000 model year in NV spec. The RAV4 belonged to my parents next door neighbour. They'd had it from new and it has full Toyota Service History and only 40k on the clock. It was serviced every year and came with a wedge of receipts. It's had new exhaust and all round discs and pads recently plus 6!! new tyres (4 plus spare plus they gave me another brand new tyre plus a bike rack). It has factory fitted driver lights and mudflaps, otherwise it's standard spec. I paid £2,500 for it which I think is very reasonable.

I'm coming out of a same year BMW 318iSE. The reason I bought the RAV4 is cos I'm a musician and last year I lost work cos I couldn't get out of my estate in the winter. I'm hoping no such problems with the RAV4! Any way, quick first impressions (relative to the BMW):

-It's actually quicker than the BMW.

-Engine seems to like to be rev'd and is definitely noisier and less refined than the BMW.

-The trip computer (reset when I got it) is saying 27.9 mpg which is marginally worse than the BMW. I'm used to driving carefully and I've only gone over 3,000 rpm once in the last two days since I had it and that was to check the acceleration.

-I love the high driving position

-Handeling is great! I really don't notice I'm not driving a saloon car!

-Even the lowly NV spec is pretty well equiped - AC, front elec windows and trip comp :-)

-Great load space. I've removed the rear seats and I can get all my gear in no problem.

-No CD player is a bummer :-(

All in all I'm very pleased with it.

Phil

Sorry - forgot to mention it's a 4.2 model!

Sounds like you`ve got yourself a bargain there Phil :)

Well let's hope so! The markets well down at the moment and I'm not gonna get a lot for my BMW but I think my RAV4 is a good buy. I've noticed a little bit of a tapping noise behind the facia. Nothing major but wondered if anyone had similar experience?

It do indeed sound like a bargain,nice one :thumbsup:

We are relatively new Rav owners ourselves,well SWMBO is the driver,and i can feel your excitement about the Rav as this is just how we were when we first got ours.

Great motors and my only refret is not getting one years ago :rolleyes:

Enjoy :thumbsup:

Oh and Welcome Phil.

Welcome - that sounds a great buy :thumbsup:

Enjoy your RAV - I'm sure you will.

David

Sounds like a bargain for that iron clad provenance. They will be much less refined than the BMW E46 unfortunately, but the other benefits mentioned make a fair tradeoff. As for a CD player, well any Double DIN can fit, often with CD, iPod and bluetooth and even GPS for just £150-300 depending on brand/features.

Pics or it didn't happen!

Hi Phil,and a big welcome aboard :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I have a 4.2 and it is proving to be a belter of a motor in every way!!

Sounds like you have found a good un there matey and at less than 4k a year a rare find.

If I had bought it I would give it a good run down the Mway to give the engine and exhaust a bit of a clear out as it may have had a lot of short runs with out warming up enough.

Enjoy your new wheels.

Del

Hi Phil, sounds good and welcomne to the Mad RAV4 World :thumbsup:

Got some comments that might help you with your comment ...

Hey all

.....-No CD player is a bummer :-(

Phil

You can often find the Toyota Radio/CD units on eBay that will slot right in without any hassles. The ones you want are also fitted to the Celica and Land Cruisers of the similar generation, so when looking, don't just limit your search to "RAV4" ;)

There are two types of connectors mentioned for the RAV4.2 (you have the 4.2, rather then the older 4.1 or the newer 4.3 ) and you will almost certainly have the LARGE 12-pin plug version (often called 7+5) rather then the smaller 12-pin plug version (often called 6+6)

If you fancy going aftermarket, as has been said, any Double-Din (2-Din) unit will fit, but a couple of things needed here ....

The Toyota Fitting is referred to as a WIDE 2-DIN - the actual fitting is 2-DIN and standard (and you reuse the fitting cage from the original unit) but the front display part is wider then a 2-DIN (hence the name :lol:) . You can buy little 'fillers' from eBay to fill in those gaps for just a few quid. Without those, a replacement unit will make the dash look 'unfinished' so are not really an option if you want a decent looking dashboard.

I think I actually have mine still from my 2-DIN Kenwood installation and if so, they are going spare :yes:

Also ... you mentioned the Fuel Computer in your list of likes - IF you change you head unit for a non-Toyota unit, you will LOSE that feature and you will also lose the external temp display.

HTH and you will find lots of posts about this area as well as other stuff around :D

Had a wee double take there, Phil...."Welcome and Good Buy" seemed like a contraception of terms... :lol:

Cracking price for a low mileage workhorse, and Hoovie too much of a gentleman to try and sell you an excellent cruise control system he has in stock, so he offerd me 50% commission......would it fit...?

Welcome in all seriousity...and goodbye...fur noo.

Big Kev :thumbsup:

a bargain there !!

I had to laugh at your 3000rpm...

I need to run my RAVs at 3000rpm+ to give them a good run out... and both will happily wind up to 7000rpm ! Then again I don't have the engine you have.

Welcome to the mad house. You've landed in the best forum on the net. Some serious banter to be found here!!

Yer motor sounds sweet mate. £2500?? Bargain!

Enjoy it... Especially when the snow (finally) arrives!!!

Great price you got there. I wouldn't be surprised to see it go for between 4.000 - 5.000 on autotrader.

I'm also a new entrant into the RAV4 world. I just fitted an AUX adapter (Connects2 CTVTYX001) from fleabay, it connects into the CD changer socket at the back of the head unit and has 2 RCA sockets. I connected those 2 sockets to a 3.5mm stereo jack which I mounted in one of the empty slots above the cup holders. All the wiring is thus hidden and all you see is a small silver socket. It means I can simply plug in my phone (or any device with a headphone socket) which then mimics the (not fitted) CD changer (it appears as CD 1-1). I can then play whatever music, etc I have on my phone, with the added benefit that if I'm using the phone for navigation I get the instructions over the car Speakers as well. I'd probably rather have an all singing and dancing head unit, but for £30 it's a nice and cheap solution.

Great to have you aboard :thumbsup:

And another 4.2 owner ;) you'l get years & years out of that Rav.....enjoy :D

Hey again. Thanks for the replies. I managed to finally take some pics today:

gallery_115737_1510_177795.jpg

seemed like a contraception of terms... :lol:

Kev... Contraception eh??? You not getting on a bit to need that kind of thing???

Good luck with the Rav Matey. I am in the same boat....I bought mine cause I wanted more reliability and the a bility to cut through the ice and snow up here, as we have had three belters of bad Winters in a row......typical, now it's the mildest Winter in decades! No regrets so far with my purchase. Loving the simplicity of this car....only niggle is the heavy fuel consumption compared to my previous diesel cars...but if it continues to do what it does I will be well chuffed! Very Bset of Luck. A

Th spotlights are very cool. I assume they are factory? Do you have a separate switch for them or do they come on with the main beams?

The spotlights are referred to as 'driver's lights' and they were a cost option that the original owner specified when he ordered the car. They come on with the main beam. They are AWESOME. I swear you could land a plane with them :-)

My torch has bigger lenses than those ;) are they really that bright? :eek: what wattage bulbs are in there? or is there some sort of thermal nuclear magic going on it there?

The Star of Bethlehem maybe? :lol:3-Wise-Men-244x300.jpg