Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis 1999 Limp Mode When Engine Warm

jjma

Having an issue that started completely out of the blue driving back from a house one day. The car suddenly experienced loss of power with the engine warning light coming on. Car v.sluggish and not responding to revs. Eventually let a friend have a look at it and the errors that we're getting are:

Error 31

Error 41

He has checked the wiring on the area affected and replaced some parts but the car when warmed up still behaves in an erratic manor. He thinks it might be the main ecu as the wiring looks fine and the parts that were at fault have been replaced.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jon

I had this problem. had to change the injectors.they where leaking not spraying correctly

bill

I had this problem. had to change the injectors.they where leaking not spraying correctly

bill

Thanks Bill. Did it show any fault codes on the ECU when you had this problem?

It's the 1.8 petrol. It's not obd2 compliant but has flash codes when you short out two of the pins on the diagnostic plug.

It's the 1.8 petrol. It's not obd2 compliant but has flash codes when you short out two of the pins on the diagnostic plug.

did you try what i said in my email to you.

regards going up hill to see if the light comes on

If the fault codes are the same for the CarinaE and the Avensis (as I believe they are). That means that your problem is with the vaccuum sensor signal (error 31) & throttel position signal (error 41). I do understand why the car goes to the limp mode with those fault codes. So would I do too with those faults.

You wrote that you have had some parts exchanged. That means that you have exchanged the throttel position sensor and also the vaccuum sensor, does it. If both those sensors are ok that means that you don't get the right vaccuum to the correct throttel position (how much you are pressing the accelerator pedal). That sounds to me that that the engine has problems to breath. Something might have happened with the valves/camshafts/exhaustpipe. How is the airfilter by the way?

JJMA, You have done most of the things I would have done. Have you pulled the ECU fuse in the engine bay to reset the management? It could be that you changed the parts and the ECU needs to relearn the new parameters.

Does any of the wiring look damaged? A bad connection or wire could be the problem.

Check vacuum pipes for damage or leaks.

I had one problem (which may not be related), there is a vacuum switch on the inlet manifold which controls the inlet valves by cutting off 4 of the 8 valves, depending on the engine speed and load. The lever disconnected. I reconnected the lever and secured it by use a 'U' shaped metal which is normally used with self tapping screws. It has never disconnected since. got to try something.

The worst things is the ECU has gone faulty. That would be a nightmare!!!

I hope it is sdomething simple.

Good luck.

Kon

Hello,

Sorry I did not respond earlier but have been busy sorting Crimbo stuff etc.

I have changed the throttle position sensor, MAF sensor, temperature sender and Lambda sensor but it's still coming up with the same faults. I have checked the spark plugs and they all look good with a nice strong spark. The wiring for the engine sensors has been checked with my meter and there are no short circuits and all the sensors are getting power. As suggested I have pulled the engine management fuse and reset the ECU codes but after running it for a few minutes, the codes came straight back and the engine still runs rough when it gets warm. I am beginning to think it is a fault with the injectors. I think I will swap them for a secondhand tested set and hope it does the trick. I will update you on how I get on.

Happy Christmas all!!

Have you tried the crank sensor? I know it is not related to the codes but you never know.

Kon

I suggest you to check the compression in the cylinders and also to check the valve clearance. You could also check the ignition timing, just to be sure that you have the ignition right.

May I ask if you have had any job done shortly before these faultcodes came? That might also be a clue to where to look.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Thanks for all the suggestions. It finailly turned out to be the crank sensor which had been badly repaired some time ago (before I bought the car). Strangly there was no error code coming up for it.

Jon

JJMA, I am glad it is fixed.

Funny that I did suggest a look at the crank sensor. It was a was shot in the dark, plus the only other thing that could give the simptoms you have, since you have replaced other parts.

The self diagnostic is not perfect but showed a fault in the system.

Thanks for sharing your result. :thumbsup:

I was editing my previous post and accidentally sent a duplicate. I need to learn how to delete a post.

May I also add that Balikbayan mentioned 'timing' and this is linked to the crank sensor!

It shows that suggestions can be slighty off the issue but be the fix.