Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Levin Owner

Geoff7yea

Sup folks,

Greetings from ireland.

Just picked myself up my first car after 5 years of bikes!

Bad smash off the bike with a few broken bones/general injury coupled with my lack of enthusiasm to drive for another cold wet miserable winter on a bike (no longer do a long commute where i need to beat the traffic) led me to 4 wheels. Keeping the bikes for the summer and the racetrack next year :)

Being my first car naturally i got a nice small friendly oh no wait a got a toyota levin BZ-G :D 1996 123k miles.

Picked it up for 800 euro, needs a few bits and pieces done but im a competent mechanic so will be undertaking it all myself, makes buying a car in need of work still work out cheaper than a 'perfect' more expensive one. Gives me the benefit of actually knowing my car too.

thar she is - post-115759-0-67401700-1324392767_thumb.

Bits to do: Have done droplinks and the antirollbar bushes, did plugs/oil/filters, the Speakers in the door werent working because lo and behold someone had removed them! fitted new ones, have to get a new wheel stud on the rear passenger side (cowboy overtightened the last one and snapped it i assume), a set of 15 or 16 rims (17inchers on the car have a few buckles, not to mention are ridiculous looking!, then the main concern of the timing belt and tensioner. Tempted to do the water pump, preventative maintenance and all that, but its at least 125euro so im not sure..

2 questions here, 1) is there a service manual for this car (unlikely) or for any other toyota with the blacktop engine do we know? Silvertop might do either.

2) Anyone got any special tips for doing the timing belt? anything that you wouldnt think to do/watch out for?

Will throw up a few pics as i get the car together sure.

Geoff

There is a 4AGE 20V Engine repair manual, but they are rare, go to club4ag - USA site, loads of tech info and manuals to download.

Think ive found the reason my engine is plastered in oil

post-115759-0-95195600-1324491252_thumb.

post-115759-0-95195600-1324491252_thumb.

post-115759-0-78318900-1324491672_thumb.

Havent seen a gasket being quite that useless in a while :D

post-115759-0-97149900-1324491535_thumb.

Well ordered more bits, 2nd time ive ordered front drop links and ended up with rear ones. sigh. anyone else have this trouble?

Where did you buy parts?, Toyota work off chassis number so shouldn't get it wrong!

Engine looks like it's never had oil change, that's well black oil in head, when I rebuilt mine

it had done 247K Kms and didn't look that bad.

As for timing belt be aware that Silvertop and Blacktop are different due to the different tensioning set ups.

It's recommended to change waterpump while it's all apart as it saves labour costs.

Where did you buy parts?, Toyota work off chassis number so shouldn't get it wrong!

Engine looks like it's never had oil change, that's well black oil in head, when I rebuilt mine

it had done 247K Kms and didn't look that bad.

As for timing belt be aware that Silvertop and Blacktop are different due to the different tensioning set ups.

It's recommended to change waterpump while it's all apart as it saves labour costs.

From an irish site (fairly useless, even supplied the toyota part number and they got it wrong) and then fensport. cant return to fensport until the 3rd. just bad timing i suppose.

The reason for not going through toyota for the front links is they want 95 euro for EACH link. madness.

Yup looks crap. didnt feel so bad though (industry approved method of testing y'know lol)

But i generally change it every couple of thousand miles so it shall actually be looked after this time.

Cheers for the info, ive got a handy blacktop link up there ^^ :)

Yup got a water pump here aswell, doing it all myself so labours free lol

• 3 months later...

i have a toyota levin with a 4agze engine.i'm thinking about putting on a turbocharger and staging it with the supercharger ie the supercharger would work up to a curtain boost and then trip out via the factory electro-magnet then the turbocharger boost would work from there.any suggestions or has any one ever done this b4? is it even possible?

HKS did a kit for the supercharged MR2 using supercharger and turbo,, super rare but there are still some around., Called twincharger, there's info on search engines.

Levin Car is really great, Welcome most to TOC, Hope you will enjoy your stay here.

Did some research on the twincharger. turns out VW has one on their golf gt. but here's a diagram of the HKS kit set up.

tcmod.gif

this system claims to have high low end torque as the supercharger is made use of during turbo lag. ohh thanks for the info btw

Donedeal.ie - 3202598. Here's one Nad made earlier.

Lovely cars, would definitely want to try one out some day - the engine is what I'd really like though, 20 Valve GTi's bloody shift!

• 3 months later...

hey lads i have a 97 levin ae111 and i cant find body kits for it no where any idea where i would get one?? much appreciated..

Hey Sarah, firstly welcome in to the TOC. Can I ask have you tried some of the Japanese auction sites ?

eBay currently has the main bomex body kit on offer atm

clubae111.com is a Levin specific site irish, Aus and NZ links.

Kev.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links