Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Tail Lights Out.

cain

Hi all,

Could anybody please help with a problem I have with my toyota avensis 2002 gs. Both of my tail lights are off but the fuses and the bulbs look ok. Is there a relay that could be at fault. Any suggestions please.

Thanks Gary.

Hi cmia,

Thanks for the reply. All the other lights appear to work ok. Indicators, break lights, all the front lights (inc front side lights) etc.. Its just the tail lights that are off.

Regards cain.

Hi headhurts,

No they are not LEDs and yes I have checked both bulbs and they are ok but not working when lights on (as I said in my first post). I think it looks like a wireing problem (lose connection) or a relay problem (but dont this is the most likely cause). Thanks for ur input though.

Regards cain.

I have changed the reverse light/fog light/tail light bulbs around and I have proven that all the bulbs work.I alsonotice that the rear number plate light is still on which is offthe same fuse as the tail lights. I have also changed the 10a tail light fuse with another 10a fuse (gauge fuse) and still no luck. It now looks more and more like a wireing fault. Will have to look at a possible fix for now. If anyone has had a similar experience with an avensis please let me know. Thanks.

Hi Cain,

I sat and studied the wiring diagrams for both T22 and T25 Avensis. As you say that you have working license plate lights it can not be any relay or fuse. The tail light relay ia before the fuse. That means that it might be a bad connector to the taillights. Just follow the green wire to find the connectors. It might also be a bad grounding from the tail lights. Follow the white/black wire from the tail lights to find the ground points. The wirings is different if you have a LHD/RHD car and it is also different if you drive a sedan/liftback/wagon. That is why I will not mention more specific where to find the junctions or groundings. I don't know which model you have. I pressume you have a RHD, but I am not sure as you have not stated your location.

Hi BALIKBAYAN,

Thanks for the advice. I have just got the avo meter out to see what was the live/earth for the back lights so you have saved me a bit of time.

Thanks again cain.

PS Yes its a RHD I live in NE of England.

Thanks for the replys. I have now gotten the problem sorted out. I found that one of the gardening tools I had in my boot had by a freak chance cut a wire.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi BALIKBAYAN,

Thanks for the advice. I have just got the avo meter out to see what was the live/earth for the back lights so you have saved me a bit of time.

Thanks again cain.

Thanks for the replys. I have now gotten the problem sorted out. I found that one of the gardening tools I had in my boot had by a freak chance cut a wire.

Hi Cain, I also have an issue with an Auris, the exact same issue.SO I was wondering where the wiring is exposed please that allowed a tool to cut it?

Thanks

Ian

Hi BALIKBAYAN,

Thanks again cain.

Hi Cain, I also have an issue with an Auris, the exact same issue.SO I was wondering where the wiring is exposed please that allowed a tool to cut it?

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian,

Considering the age of the original post, plus the car is a mk1 Avensis last built in 2002, I think there have been a lot of changes.

Your Auris is a different design.

I have a mk1 Avensis, and in the rear corners of the boot, the carper cover can be pushed down, revealing a gap just under the light clusters. The wires are beyond the gap. In Gary's case, a sharp garden implement went throught the gap and cut the wire. I can force my hand through the gap!

Does your Auris have any gaps in the boot area near the light cluster, and you think you may have put something in the boot that cut a cable? Do a visual check and feel around with your hands.

Can I assume you have posted on the Auris site? Also did what Gary has done to eliminate the other possibilities (fuse/bulbs).

Konrad

Thanks Konrad, I had a search round the web and it seems that having 2 blow tail lights is quite common for one reason or another, so I checked and it was simply 2 blown bulbs.

All is well now, I had visions of a tricky wiring problem but no so.

Ian

• 6 years later...

I know it's an old Topic, but will try my luck anyway. Avensis 2006, 1.8 petrol hatchback. 

Basically, today one of the tail lights gone. I replaced it with a bulb I found in the glovebox. And at this point both tail lights stopped working, as well as front and rear fog lights, and also front side lights stopped working as well. Other lights are fine. 

Where shall I start looking? Maybe fusebox? Where is it located? 

You've put the bulb in wrong and blown fuse no. 14. Its a 10A fuse.

Fuse box is inside the car at the left side of the dashboard (behind glovebox on a RHD car).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mrfixer said:

You've put the bulb in wrong and blown fuse no. 14. Its a 10A fuse.

Fuse box is inside the car at the left side of the dashboard (behind glovebox on a RHD car).

I just replaced fuse 14 and everything is back to normal. Yeeehaaa. 

Thank you so much. 

You are star. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links