Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Radio Reception Has Suddenly Become Poor

john77

Hi,

I have had my 2006 Corolla Hatchback from new. The radio has been fine until a couple of months ago, now the FM reception drops away very frequently when driving - usually in the same places. I first noticed it when descending a steep hill into a valley so I'm guessing that the signal strength reaching the radio from the aerial is not as strong as it should be - or could it be a fault in the radio itself ? It doesn't seem very easy to pull the radio out just to check if the aerial cable is plugged in correctly at the back, and I can't think why it shouldn't be. Is there anything else I can check - could it be a problem at the aerial end ?

Thanks

John

Exact same happened to mine. Does it not pick up any stations (apart from the mighty classical fm) when you scan???

It depends - in some areas reception becomes poor but it can still pick up stations. In more remote areas it sometimes loses all reception and scanning fails to find any stations.

I've just noticed that there is some damage to the rubber coating at the base of the aerial, exposing a little bit of the spring,could this be relevant ?

John

I bought a 04 plate Corolla a month and a half ago and the radio signal was pretty much non-existent. When scanning automatically nothing would show up and when manually tuning to a known radio frequency it was very very weak. Through process of elimination I tracked down my particular problem to the antenna plug that goes into the back of the radio. When it was fully in and nice and secure, I got no signal. When pulling it out slightly, no signal. When pulling it out a bit further and then pressing it at an angle all of a sudden got a decent signal. When pushing it back in and holding it at any angle no signal. But back out again and at a certain angle, back came the signal. But it was impossible to push the radio back in and keep the aerial plug in this sweet spot as it had to be pretty loose.

In the end I bought a car radio extension lead from Halfords and hooked it up to the existing aerial lead (after lobbing off the original aerial plug which I deemed to be faulty) and I now get good reception (annoying not as good as the reception the other half has in her Citroen C3, but probably about 80% quality that she gets). On FM it will automatically scan and stop at stations and pick up the RDS signal which it didn't before and I can also get 5 live and TalkSport on AM albeit with a slight hiss, but before there was no chance of anything on AM so I'm pretty pleased.

As your signal seems to be getting worse and then coming back then it maybe different from my experience of pretty no reception anywhere, but if you're able to get the radio out and have a play around with the aerial plug then at least it'll help to narrow down the issue.