Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vvti 140 Whats Your Average Mpg

petrolhead

That's not great, as the book says 34.

What type of journeys do you do & how do you drive?

I would always get about 380 to over 400 miles from a tank in my 140.

• 7 months later...

I've just got 409 from my last tank.......... that was hypermiling (i know, i said the dirty word, i'm sorry, lol) the last half of the tank though....

Always been curious to know what others are getting......

just got 360 out of a full tank, and I use lift to get past annoying drivers quite often and have had the air con on a bit this tank.

What do you get through the harshest of winter months? Lowest i've had is 320.

Does this sound about right?

Lowest is 320? wow! I've not had my Celica through a winter yet but I can easily push mine to under 300 around the city, stop starting but accelerating hard.

My getting 360 is probably due to the fact I've been working in Bath lately and most of the journey is dual carriage ways.

I'm curious about how other people drive their Celicas with regards to gear changes. More often than not I go from stand still to 30, 1st-3rd-5th (into 6th depending on the gradient)

320 was a mixture of motorway/ B-roads though. Not true city stop/start driving. I haven't tried gear-hopping.

If you gear-hop, don't you have to rev it beyond the recommended change window (2K - 2500rpm) in order not to labour the engine in the next gear?

For commuting I change so the next gear will come in at about 1500rpm. (this is the lowest my engine seems to run smoothly at. Is this normal?). Makes a tank go loads further....

The weekend is far less ........ anal.

yours a 140 or 190?

I dont see the point in going through the gears when I drive normally as im only in second and third for a split second, its just more effort. But I change gears around 2500-3000 and its very smooth. 1st at 3000 into third at around 1300 maybe and its fine.

Not sure about labouring below 1500, I can drive mine at just over 20 in 5th without it labouring at all at around 1200rpm.

Only time I really use all the gears is when im flooring it, lift in 1st, 2nd and 3rd is brilliant!!

It's a 140 - so i'm cheating a bit.

Lift in 3rd? Is that legal? lol.

From what i can gather the 190 engine is a very different animal to the 140, so i don't think you can expect to get the same mpg figures. I'm guessing 29 mpg for a sportier engine isn't too shameful?

You're right though; gear-hopping is the way to go. General reduction in wear/operations/fuel across the board - gotta be good.............

Despite having the 'commuter model', i reckon i am just trying to change too low down the rev range. Are the gear ratios much different between a 140 & 190?

She does have a slightly rough idle though - which i think illudes to a vacuum leak, which could also account for labouring below 1500.......do you think i can find it though..........lol

Despite this, she's just returned 40.7mpg tonight. Win, i'd say..........

The book figures are (if I remember right):

140 - 34 mpg combined

190 - 31 mpg combined

So general driving, you should see about 400 miles from a full 140 tank and I'd say about 370-380ish for the 190.

• 2 weeks later...

Out of interest I've just worked it out on my 140. I've had it since start of June, and have got between 34 and 36 mpg over 6 tanks full.

Ironically I seem to be getting better fuel consumption off tesco fuel than Shell or BP - I don't understand that......

And yes block changes are the way forward.

Block changes do seem to be helping.

Been trying this over the past couple of weeks. Down to half a tank now. Seem to be ~ 20 miles up on where i normally am on the trip distance display.

Looks i will be up ~30 miles on this tank.........

Ive currenty got a celica st gen6 7afe engine get 400 to a tank seems quite abit more economical than its predecessor the 1zz-fe down 20bhp but wouldnt fare to bad against it i reckon.

Just dipped into reserve fuel with 425 miles on the trip distance tonight (based on reasonably inefficient commuting).......... worked out as 41.9mpg at the pump.......

I made a point of watching my gear changes and fuel consumption and got 38mpg last tank and change gears like so, 1st @ 2000 - 3rd @ 2000 - 5th :)

I seem to be doing well; I only tend to do long runs but I drive my 140 quite hard (although rarely over 5k - never seen the need) and average just over 40mpg. I tend to use 1st, 2nd and 3rd, then straight into 6th when I reach cruising speed - probably not the most economical way, but it doesn't seem to hurt the fuel consumption too much. My car is quite happy pootling along at 35ish in traffic in 6th gear - only needing a change down for brisk acceleration from that speed. I've been impressed since I got the Celica, with the tractability and efficiency of the engine - which I put mainly down to the low weight of the car. I use supermarket fuel but always add a dose of Millers to it - makes the engine a lot smoother (and I think improve the consumption a bit).

Trying the same here (give or take a bit). 140 miles @ 3/4 full on the gauge so far.......

What is this 'Millers' product you put in..........i haven't heard of this..........

• 2 weeks later...

I get about 40mpg - mostly long runs with just me in the car; usually changing gear around 3k. I do regularly take it up to 5k in 2nd and 3rd (just for the hell of it), but almost never take it over 5k (never see the need). Am quite amazed at how economical these Celica's are :-) My only gripe is that the tank's not that big - I like a car that can go 500 miles between refills!

Filled up yesterday after the first period of colder weather. Dropped to 380 miles for the same routes/driving habits on my 140.

Noticing (what looks like) increased steam from the exhaust though on cold-morning start-ups, and drips of water from the exhaust tip if parked up-hill, but has a strong smell of fuel in the air on still mornings...........

Does anyone else notice this???