Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bye Bye Gen 3 :(

Habu

After having 3 Prius (2xGen 2 and 1xGen 3) I've traded her in today for a brand new Lexus CT200h. To date, the Gen 3 T Spirit has been my fave car and in many ways it is brilliant. I loved the styling, the tech and the all round space and comfort but I won't miss the interior plastics which were a poor let down. With the CT I'm gaining in luxury but losing out in cubby space, boot space and a little bit of MPG. Still, servicing is the same price and my insurance premium is staying exactly the same.

So long, for now, Prius guys.

It would be interesting to see a good comparison between a Prius and Lexus by an actual owner, as I consider the CT200h styling to be way better than the Prius, and would be a serious contender when we trade the Gen2 in a couple of years time.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!"

I think the Prius is FAR better looking than the CT200h, but I've heard good reports about the latter's interior quality and solidity.

So yes, a comparison done by somebody who has experience of Prius AND of CT200h would be very nice. No pressure... :rolleyes:

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!"

I think the Prius is FAR better looking than the CT200h, but I've heard good reports about the latter's interior quality and solidity.

So yes, a comparison done by somebody who has experience of Prius AND of CT200h would be very nice. No pressure... :rolleyes:

I agree, the Gen 3 Prius is better looking than the CT but inside the CT it's just classy. I love the heated creamy leather seats and leather on top of the dash plus a bangin' hifi system complete with sub and amp. But I'm going to miss the HUD hugely as well as the Prius's storage space. The CT is lacking big time on storage inside the car (excluding the boot) with the glove box being just that, a space just big enough for your gloves. There's a central cubby box but that's really your lot excluding bins in the doors. It does't bother me as I don't cart junk about but others may have issues with it. The Lexus dealer was very upmarket compared to Toyota and the handover experience (plus goodies) was memorable :) I have, however, stayed with our local group where I've bought all my Toyotas and now Lexus - RMB. Also managed to get 5 services (that should cover me until I get rid of the car) for around £850 paid over 14 months interest free which I think is a very good deal especially as it uses the same 0W20 oil as the Prius (well, it's the same engine and e-CVT 'box).

Merry Christmas TOC. Just a little update on my initial experiences with the CT compared with the 3 Prius's I have owned:

CT pros:

- much smoother and there's a lack of the shuddering as the engine kicks in and out. Would need to wait until the CT has done a fair amount of miles to be fair to my former Prius's

- deffo quieter (there's insulation under the bonnet which seems to work well). BTW, the same sized wheels are shod with Yokohama dB Decibel tyres. Very impressed with the lack of road noise

- very comfy seats

- handling and steering feel is excellent. No body roll. Can't understand why some people think the ride is harsh?

- stereo is amazing although I have the upgraded system that comes with the nav packages. FM radio reception is DAB quality (to my ears). My gen 3 Prius always had issues with FM stations

- feels very well put together with high quality materials. Everything is solidly made. Inside just oozes quality. There's even leather over the instrument binnacle. My biggest gripe with the gen 3 Prius was a poor quality interior especially the dash

- insurance and servicing exactly the same as my gen 3 Prius (well it is for me)

- It doesn't look like you're trying to be green by driving a hybrid

- paintwork has a mirror like finish. Best I've seen on any car I've owned. No doubt, it'll still chip like any other

CT cons:

- smaller in both the rear seats and the boot (doesn't bother me as it's only me in the car 99% of the time)

- less cubby space but again not an issue to me. A cut out space, like the Prius, under the centre console would have been nice

- I feel the engine does most of the work whilst driving whereas with the Prius the leccy motor did its fair share of the driving. The eco gauge shows I appear to be in the Power band much more than I ever did with the Prius. With the Prius I rarely went into Power but the CT is often there. Saying that, I filled up after a couple of days and had averaged (manually checking) 47mpg which is good with 100 miles on the clock.

- Won't be as economical as the Prius

- missing the Prius HUD

- USB and aux in point are in a strange place. They work but make the console look messy if you're using a cable connection for your phone

- look a little odd in some angles (a bit like a Mazda 3) but not enough for me not to buy one

I still miss my gen 3 a lot, it was a great looking car, cheap to service and insure and had good tech.That's it, so far.

Peter

Thanks for the down to earth update Peter. I'm sure you will enjoy your new car once you get into its stride. At least you come with a strong hybrid background, so you should quickly get to grips with how to get the best out of it. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Hi again. Just my second, and probably last for now review of the CT200h against my previous Prius now that I've taken off the rose-tinted, new car experience, glasses. Ok, the CT is still, especially with the leather trim a wonderfully luxurious place to sit. All interior materials are high grade and the equipment has a quality feel to them. There's neat little details too like the seals along the vertical line where front and rear doors meet.

Revised CT pros:

- deffo smoother transmission and still no lurching, juddering as I got from time to time with the Prius

- deffo quieter as there appears to be greater insulation against engine and tyre noise. You can hardly hear the ICE even when you floor it.

- handling is sporty especially when in sport mode as the steering nicely weights up. There's limited body roll too. Good for hustling along B roads.

- seats are very comfy indeed but the rear has no central armrest a la Prius. It's a great place to be and drives beautifully. There are 3 colours of leather for the seats and doors. I went for ivory-cream which works well with the dark grey exterior.

- great sounding hifi (I have the upgraded one that came with the nav pack). Speakers have good sound too.

- beautifully built and awesome finish on the paint. Possibly machine polished at the factory?

- same insurance and servicing as the gen 3 Prius

- great, clear dials which change colour (blue or red) depending in what mode you're in. Same with ceiling lights and rotary knob.

- electrochromic rear view mirror works very well and the water repellent front glazing is incredible. Ice doesn't appear to stick to it like is does over the rest of the car's windows.

- Lexus dealer experience is much more up-market than Toyota.

- front and rear parking sensors along with the colour reverse camera work very well. I like the fact the reverse camera screen also show a plan view of the CT and which bit (e.g. front right corner, centre rear, etc) is closest to the object.

- dual zone HVAC works well. I think the other half is part lizard as she needs the temp on high on get side whilst I have it on about 22.5.

- probably the best by far halogen headlights I've had on car. Pity only most expensive CT model comes with LED lights

- I don't get other drives either mouthing "wan@er" 'cos I'm in a Prius or miming something with their closed hand. I don't think other drivers have realised, yet, that the CT is like a Prius.

- so far, with around 2500 miles on the clock and averaging (as per Fuelly) around 48mpg. Hopefully this will rise with a few more miles on the clock and warmer weather. I've always found my Toyotas to be fairly good at achieving the suggested mpg. With my gen 3 I often beat it so hopefully the Ct will improve even though it is slightly worse on the fuel consumption. Bizarrely, the 30 minute mpg screen (it that makes sense) only goes as high as 60mpg even though the car can beat it. Possibly to do with Lexus software as other Lexus models would never get up to 60mpg?

CT cons:

- interior cubby space is quite limited. You get trays in the boot like the Prius but inside the car is limited. This could be quite an issue for some people.

- boot space and boot opening are small. Don't know how they compare to an Auris. With my gen 3 I could place a mountain bike in the rear with removing the front wheel, turning the handlebars, etc. Can't do this with the CT as the opening is quite small.

- no rear central armrest or drinks holders. Not an issue for me as there's only ever me in it most of the time but for, say a family, it could be.

- cheapest CT is slightly more than most expensive Prius (not excluding Prius options like solar roof and advanced tech packs) but I guess it would have to be.

- not as pretty (in my eyes) as the gen 3 Prius although I do like the nose and side of the CT. Back is, eerh, a bit fugly and boy does the boot / rear window attract road crud.

Overall, a lovely car to sit in, smoooooth and quiet drive and with great techy bits. I do though miss the HUD and better mpg (although I'm sure the CT will improve).

Would I have another CT? Oh yes! Would I have another Prius? Quite probably yes if the 2012 facelift gen 3 addresses the low rent interior plastics. The interior plastics were the main reason for moving to the CT. Now if the Prius had the same interior materials as the CT I'd be back in a flash :)

• 1 year later...

I too was disillusioned with the Gen3 road noise and after test driving the Prius+, I was amazed at the difference.

I went for the Prius+ T-Spirit with 17" wheels, leather, Nav and the JBL Green Edge sound system. The road noise has all but disappeared.

Has anybody done a comparison of the Prius, CT, and an Auris, the Auris, I'm thinking very seriously about a hybrid for my next car and I'm leaning towards the Auris after a test drive in all three, it seems to be more solid then a Prius and roomier then a CT, and of course it's less money then either, any comments from other hybrid drivers?

My Auris feels a lot better put together than the Gen 2 Prius I had but to be fair it is newer and hasn't been over so many speed bumps !.

Didn't look at the CT, SWMBO would not approve expense !!

Hi just traded my Gen3 Prius for the Lexus CT200h luxury will miss the HUD and do not expect the Lexus will match the Prius for petrol, notice it carries the weasel warrantee (3years and 5 years)Should be picking it up on Saturday will let you know how it shapes up.

Hi just found out my Gen3 is due for a recall on the brakes well not my problem now.