Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre Wear

Barum

I have Yaris 1.4. Desiel......front tyres needed changing after 11000 miles..... rear still on aftter 18000 miles..... seems low mileage on front... Bridgestone tryes.. has anybody got similar ? or would you recommend other makes of tyre ?

Thankyou

I have Yaris 1.4. Desiel......front tyres needed changing after 11000 miles..... rear still on aftter 18000 miles..... seems low mileage on front... Bridgestone tryes.. has anybody got similar ? or would you recommend other makes of tyre ?

Thankyou

Are the tyres worn evenly across the tread? if so then that is that. If there is uneven wear it indicates a number of things, let me know the wear pattern.

Bridgestone are a very good tyre, all tyres are a compromise, of roadholding against long life. I have bridgestones on a Mazda MX5 the rears are down to 3.5 mm after 22,000 miles (rear wheel drive so wear pattern reversed) The tyres on front wheel drive cars tend to be short lived as they both power and steer, the rears do very little in terms of work.

Regards Geoff Peace.

I have Continental EcoContact 3's on mine, currently running 3psi over the max rated. Wear pattern is even across the face of the tyre.

Great wet grip and wear rate seems to be about 1mm per year (Not bad considering the torque abuse they're subjected to from me and the D4D :lol:)

Thankyou

Are the tyres worn evenly across the tread? if so then that is that. If there is uneven wear it indicates a number of things, let me know the wear pattern.

Bridgestone are a very good tyre, all tyres are a compromise, of roadholding against long life. I have bridgestones on a Mazda MX5 the rears are down to 3.5 mm after 22,000 miles (rear wheel drive so wear pattern reversed) The tyres on front wheel drive cars tend to be short lived as they both power and steer, the rears do very little in terms of work.

Regards Geoff Peace.

Thankyou for your reply.... I have even wear so it looks like I will have to be satisfied with 12000 miles (approx) on front tryes.

I have Michelin Energy tyres and expect 30k for the fronts, 50k rears.

30 K from the front and 50 k from the rear ! Does anybody else get this.... it seems to be very high for a yaris deisel...... but I will certainly try Michelin next time.

Thankyou

Thankyou

Regards Geoff Peace.

Thankyou for your reply.... I have even wear so it looks like I will have to be satisfied with 12000 miles (approx) on front tryes.

You will have to drive slower and in a more sedate fashion round corners! That is where most of the wear occurs. I have known tyres which do a high mileage and some which do not, the record for me was a young lad I knew who had a mini van in the 1960's he covered 38,000 miles and wore out 40 tyres! It really is pretty much how you drive. Whenever I see someone cornering fast or braking hard I think about buying a few shares in tyre companies!

Regards Geoff Peace

You might do better on so-called Eco tyres as they're made of a harder compound. If the roads you go on are particularly crap that will lead to higher wear, but the D4D will be harder on the tyres than the VVTi's because of the higher torque, The understeery setup of the Yaris probably doesn't help either :unsure:

Some hypermiling techniques can help save the tyre life (Looking ahead particularly as it means you can coast for longer and brake gentler which will reduce tyre wear.)

Harder compound tyres will wear slower, and running higher PSIs will also reduce tyre wear.

The tyre wear is a lot down to how you drive the car but also down to the specific model of tyre. Some are softer rubber tht will grip the road better but will also wear quicker.

Its a compromise of rubber hardness to grip. If you want the grippiest tyre, they will wear out quicker. If you sacrifice some grip for harder rubber, they will last longer.

As tyres are the only thing holding you onto the road, I'd personally pay a bit more for a branded tyre that gets a good test report.

If you check out the online tests at autocar and auto express, they do tests of tyres and publish the results, so you can check out which tyres you're thinking of buying and see how they compare.

Be very careful of unknown brands - there are a lot of cheap poor quality tyres being imported and there was a separate Autocar test that showed just how dangerour and poor grip they were.

If I recall correctly, they tried braking from 50mph. At the point the branded tyre had stopped, the cheap import was still travelling at 30mph. That's a heck of a bang if there's a car in the way and its you doing the braking!

I also check out mytyres. You don't need to buy from them but they will give you a target price of many different tyres so you can check you're getting a good deal. The good thing about mytyres is that they also publish tyre tests for each of the tyres, so you can compare tests and decide which tyres meet your needs - comparing tyre wear, noise, grip in the dry, grip in the wet, grip in snow, etc.

If you buy a premium brand tyre you won't go far wrong, but even the premium brands have different models of tyre that have different compounds of rubber and tread patterns - so be careful about people saying "Pirellis are good" or "Uniroyals are good in the rain" or Michelin's have good tyre wear - because you can't just assume the model of tyre you buy from a particular manufacturer wil be the sae as others have had and you need to compare specific models of tyre if you're taking advice about a particular tyre - don't just generalise by manufacturer...

The tyre wear is a lot down to how you drive the car but also down to the specific model of tyre. Some are softer rubber tht will grip the road better but will also wear quicker.

Its a compromise of rubber hardness to grip. If you want the grippiest tyre, they will wear out quicker. If you sacrifice some grip for harder rubber, they will last longer.

As tyres are the only thing holding you onto the road, I'd personally pay a bit more for a branded tyre that gets a good test report.

If you check out the online tests at autocar and auto express, they do tests of tyres and publish the results, so you can check out which tyres you're thinking of buying and see how they compare.

Be very careful of unknown brands - there are a lot of cheap poor quality tyres being imported and there was a separate Autocar test that showed just how dangerour and poor grip they were.

If I recall correctly, they tried braking from 50mph. At the point the branded tyre had stopped, the cheap import was still travelling at 30mph. That's a heck of a bang if there's a car in the way and its you doing the braking!

I also check out mytyres. You don't need to buy from them but they will give you a target price of many different tyres so you can check you're getting a good deal. The good thing about mytyres is that they also publish tyre tests for each of the tyres, so you can compare tests and decide which tyres meet your needs - comparing tyre wear, noise, grip in the dry, grip in the wet, grip in snow, etc.

If you buy a premium brand tyre you won't go far wrong, but even the premium brands have different models of tyre that have different compounds of rubber and tread patterns - so be careful about people saying "Pirellis are good" or "Uniroyals are good in the rain" or Michelin's have good tyre wear - because you can't just assume the model of tyre you buy from a particular manufacturer wil be the sae as others have had and you need to compare specific models of tyre if you're taking advice about a particular tyre - don't just generalise by manufacturer...

Thank you very much for the information, very informative...I will take your advice and research accordingly.

If you are going to buy tyres , the major retailers often have offers on a set of four. Like 25% off. Saved me £50 when I bought the Michelins.. I run at 2psi higher than recommended for "normal driving"...(non motorways)

madasafish has a good point. Kwik fit are offerig 25% of any 4 tyres this winter from any manufacturer, making them often better value than the mail order firms....

National Tyres are offering 25% off two 'premium' tyres (selected sizes).

That's a really good site - providing links to all the main tyre review pages...... Thanks.

That's a really good site - providing links to all the main tyre review pages...... Thanks.

My pleasure, came across it a little while ago.