Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Squeaky Brakes But Still Under Warranty

jazzyb88

Hello ladies & gentleman :)

My joyful Yaris is coming up to the 3 year mark in February and a niggling problem I've had since I bought it is squeaky brakes at low speed (and I think it's coming from the front). I did tell the dealer over the phone about 10 months ago, but they said this was normal and the brakes require cleaning and they charge for that (understandable). I had the car serviced with a local garage about a month later and asked them to check the brakes and while they did check & clean them with no problems, the squeak has never gone. The pads were not worn then (11500 miles) and the car has only just done 15500, so still doubt the pads are worn but can take the wheels off and clarify that.

With the warranty running out, I thought now is the time to do something. I'm wondering if I'm better off just pushing the dealer to at least have a look at it? Or do you think it is easier to just do this myself? I read copper grease on the sides of the pads would help along with brake cleaner (and they are quite dirty now!) Any special tools required for this job? Am new to this but would like to learn! :yes:

Anyone else gone to the dealer and had them fix it? Also read that it can be due to the material they use for pads these days but I think/hope it can be solved as it is annoying!

Cheers!

i think that you will find that the Toyota disc/pad warranty is only 1 year - they are classed as consumables.

Any special tools required for this job? Am new to this but would like to learn!

No special tools required.

But they are brakes.. and your life can depend on them. Not a place to learn.

Se this guide..

and this - Corolla - same design as Yaris.

http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Toyota-Corolla-Front-Brake-Pads-Replacement-Guide/index.html

I strongly recommend competent help.

Hi Heidfirst,

Appreciate the help. That answers one of my questions!

Hi Madasafish,

Understood. I suppose I only really need to clean them and apply grease so if I can do that without taking the calliper off, I can't see there being much problem. However, I am guessing I need to take the calliper off to really clean and grease. In which case, do I need to also push the pin back in when reassembling? From reading, it seems that way.

Cheers.

Hi

You only need to remove the bottom calliper bolt, swing the calliper up and remove the pads. The calliper is still attached by the upper bolt. Remove the pads and shims.. check you photo them in position or sketch them so you know how to replace properly. No need to remove calliper.

Take care to avoid any grease on pad faces or disks.

Copperease or other copper based grease only unless you use a grease specifically for brake parts.

Hi Heidfirst,

Appreciate the help. That answers one of my questions!

Hi Madasafish,

Understood. I suppose I only really need to clean them and apply grease so if I can do that without taking the calliper off, I can't see there being much problem. However, I am guessing I need to take the calliper off to really clean and grease. In which case, do I need to also push the pin back in when reassembling? From reading, it seems that way.

Cheers.

You may need to deglaze the pads. You need a flat surface and a sheet of emery paper say 240 grade and clean up the lining with a figure of eight action, then wipe with methylated spirit, you may have tiny pieces of grit embedded in the liner, that will make the brakes squeel.

Regards Geoff Peace.

Just a word of warning if you do attempt to do this.... DONT apply grease anywhere except a little dab on the back of the brake pad where it presses against the piston and even then don't use anything except proper brake grease or copperslip.

None of the other parts of the brake assembly are meant to be greased and if you get any grease anywhere near the brake pad surface or brake disk it will affect your braking performace.

If its a 2009 Yaris, the brakes won't have been taken apart before, so you're unlikely to have any missing parts such as "shims" that are sometimes fitted to the bac of pads to eliminate squeal.

So as Geoff suggests, the only real cause of your squeal is likely to be a glazed pad (through too much light use and not enough heavy use...)or some grit caught in the brake surface.

If it was me, I'd carefully take the pads out, deglaze them using sandpaper as Geoff suggests, clean all the various parts of brake dust and put them back together without using any grease or lubricant.

The other thing you could try (before going to the effort of taking them apart) is to give them some heavy braking from a reasonable speed to see if that clears the surface...

I always give my brakes a good "heavy" braking stop from a reasonable speed every month or so to make sure they don't get glazed and to make sure they're going to stop straight and work well when I need them - as today's economical driving and minimal use of the brakes may save fuel but can lead to pad glazing through lack of use as Geoff suggests...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the help!

I attempted taking the calliper off on the weekend just gone and didn't get any further than that! It was on there so tight and without a better ratchet (or bigger muscles ;)) I don't think I can get it off. Good news is that the pads are barely worn which probably confirms the glazing you mentioned. One question here: everywhere I read mentioned a 14mm calliper bolt but my Yaris appears to have a 17mm bolt. Is that right? Was 14mm for the mark 1 Yaris?

Since it's due for a service next month, I'll ask them to take a look at greasing the pads when they have the wheels off.

:thumbsup:

Jazzy

Re-read Madasafish reply.

Hi

You only need to remove the bottom calliper bolt, swing the calliper up and remove the pads. The calliper is still attached by the upper bolt. Remove the pads and shims.. check you photo them in position or sketch them so you know how to replace properly. No need to remove calliper.

It sounds like you are trying to remove the calliper mounting bracket bolt. You do not need to do this.

When I have encountered this problem, I usually chamfer the top & bottom edges of the pads with a course file.

Then Copper grease on the rear of the pad as has been mentioned

Just as an added bit of advice.

Brake manufacturers do NOT recommend using copper grease on the backs of brake pads as it known to rot the rubber brake caliper bellows.

There is a special grease for the job.