Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rolling Roads

webleymk3

They test all the ravs. For the 4.3 the first test is with no lock button, the second is with...

Apologies but it's in German!!!

haha - the last time I was at a rolling road, it was with number 1 and it had to be held down !!! :lol: :lol:

Not a problem for the 4.2 I see :yahoo: A proper Rav4 ;)

Just wondering how long you can run the 4.3 with the diff lock on??

I know the Vag group cars with there Haldex system which uses an oil and wet clutch plates, can`t run 4x4 permanatly, as when the oil heats up to a certain temp the system disengages until it cools down again.

Do the 4.3`s suffer in this way? Will a lot of use of the 4x4 clutch (for want of a better name)have any problems?

I have been told that these semi 4x4 systems are not as strong as a permi setup? so not good for serious off roading

I know the Vag group cars with there Haldex system which uses an oil and wet clutch plates, can`t run 4x4 permanatly, as when the oil heats up to a certain temp the system disengages until it cools down again.

Do the 4.3`s suffer in this way? Will a lot of use of the 4x4 clutch (for want of a better name)have any problems?

There were some reports of a burning smell from the clutch, particularly when reversing with a trailer, whether this is relevant I have no idea :unsure: Stew

There were some reports of a burning smell from the clutch, particularly when reversing with a trailer, whether this is relevant I have no idea :unsure: Stew

I have experienced the burning clutch smell when off road and have to admit it has mainly been when trying to get out of a sticky spot backwards.

The clutch was reasonable but poor to middling for reversing.

As regards the diif lock, on the 4.1 I do use it in slippy weather and also for racing with no problems whatsoever.

The clutch smell is a cross between amonia and cat pee. A vile smell that comes from the asbestos free clutch material. It is really a sign that the clutch is getting too hot due to slipping. Better to fully engage the clutch and let the vehicle reverse close to tickover.

In answer to the question about the rear diff multi-plate clutch getting hot, with excessive use it can get hot and to protect itself will disengage. A sign comes up on the dash until it cools down again. You would have to be quite brutal to get it lit though.

My 1998 RAV4 STAX was permanent 4WD.

In answer to the question about the rear diff multi-plate clutch getting hot, with excessive use it can get hot and to protect itself will disengage. A sign comes up on the dash until it cools down again. You would have to be quite brutal to get it lit though.

So much sounds like a Haldex system... Toyota are becoming more and more German............"Auf wiedersehen" :D

So much sounds like a Haldex system... Toyota are becoming more and more German............"Auf wiedersehen" :D

And soon to have BMW diesels to boot - not a bad thing really.....

Nothing like the Haldex system Jedi. The RAV system is super smart by comparison. Haldex is Swedish BTW, I used to go there frequently in my brake days.

Same basic principle is it not???? :unsure:

You don`t happen to have a pdf on the Toyota setup do you just for my own curiosity? :)

Not really no. The Haldex works on input shaft to output shaft differential - it must have wheel slip before it works. The Toyota one is constantly and steplessly working all the time the car is being driven. I will find you a pdf after work!

Now that looks like a nice RAV4 jacket the blonde's wearing, pitty she couldn't model it for us, I'm suprised no-ones mentioned it, I want one!

Now that looks like a nice RAV4 jacket the blonde's wearing, pitty she couldn't model it for us, I'm suprised no-ones mentioned it, I want one!

What I've noticed and really liked, on the 4.2 those chrome side strips on the doors and on the 4.3 similar strips but in black and those wide wheels. They look really great. :thumbsup: