Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Corolla E12 1.4 Clutch

corollat3sport

Hi guys,

i have a 2003 Toyota corolla e12 1.4 vvt-i with 114,000 miles on the clock and i think my clutch is wearing out

basically the biting point is really high and also when i shift into 2nd (same for 3rd) the revs stay high and doesn't really drop much like it used to, also the car doesn't pull well when the revs are high so i think the clutch is slipping maybe?

so should i change my clutch or flywheel? or is it something else?

now if i have to change it shall i get a standard one or is there any kind of performance kits i should go for?

and where is the best place for me to get a clutch or flywheel from

is something like this any good?

http://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl?a=i&p=DT304FR1353∂=Toyota-Corolla-1-4i-16v-DriveTorque-Stage-1-Fast-Road-Clutch-Kit

thanks guys and sorry for all the questions

just go to dealers and buy a clutch kit. or if you want go to your local motor factor but only buy LUK clutch kits. the ADL blueprint ones are a pick n mix of different parts from different manufacturers wrapped in a blueprint box.

your car is petrol so will have a solid flywheel so this shouldn't need changing. get yourself a bag of flywheel bolts though while you're at the dealer, no harm in changing these as they may have developed hairline cracks over time.

i'd get a standard clutch kit because 1) you're engine isn't hugely powerful and 2) the more "performance" clutch you get, they are usually more horrible to drive with everyday.

Hi guys,

i have a 2003 Toyota corolla e12 1.4 vvt-i with 114,000 miles on the clock and i think my clutch is wearing out

basically the biting point is really high and also when i shift into 2nd (same for 3rd) the revs stay high and doesn't really drop much like it used to, also the car doesn't pull well when the revs are high so i think the clutch is slipping maybe?

now if i have to change it shall i get a standard one or is there any kind of performance kits i should go for?

http://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl?a=i&p=DT304FR1353∂=Toyota-Corolla-1-4i-16v-DriveTorque-Stage-1-Fast-Road-Clutch-Kit

It does sound as though your clutch needs replacing.

Try the following :

Park on the level with plenty of room in front of the car. Start the engine and put it into 5th gear and let the clutch out without using the accelerator. Be ready to stop the car if it lurchers forward. If the engine keeps going the clutch is very worn. It if stalls it MAY be something to do with the clutch system rather than the clutch itself.

Best of luck.

Hi guys,

It does sound as though your clutch needs replacing.

Try the following :

Park on the level with plenty of room in front of the car. Start the engine and put it into 5th gear and let the clutch out without using the accelerator. Be ready to stop the car if it lurchers forward. If the engine keeps going the clutch is very worn. It if stalls it MAY be something to do with the clutch system rather than the clutch itself.

Best of luck.

Yeah sounds like your clutch is starting to go like mine, we use luk clutches at my work an they seem alright.

The test above will only show up a very very worn clutch an if you dont get the same result may lead you down the garden path.

My advise bung a clutch in it.

i'd get a standard clutch kit because 1) you're engine isn't hugely powerful and 2) the more "performance" clutch you get, they are usually more horrible to drive with everyday.

+1

thanks for the fast response....i will give the "clutch test" a go early in the morning to see what happens

but for now i shouldn't go for a aftermarket clutch kit like the lark speed one?

these are the standard clutches i have found:

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Toyota_Corolla_1.4_2003/p/car-parts/car-transmission/clutch-and-associated-parts/clutch-kit/?641820220&1&87e5403ecd6e5cf9a956adf797477320ca3ca118&000069

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Toyota_Corolla_1.4_2003/p/car-parts/car-transmission/clutch-and-associated-parts/clutch-kit/?641820221&1&87e5403ecd6e5cf9a956adf797477320ca3ca118&000069

are they any good or shall i just go to Toyota and get a clutch kit?

thanks again guys thumbsup.gif

No point upgrading the clutch unless your going to strap a massive turbo on it :lol:

Drop Kingo a line and see what the genuine price is :thumbsup:

No point upgrading the clutch unless your going to strap a massive turbo on it :lol:

Drop Kingo a line and see what the genuine price is :thumbsup:

don't give me ideas man laugh.gif....my car with a turbo sounds so tempting :D but not worth it i know :(

i will contact Kingo and see how much it is so thank you mate, really appreciate the advice :)

today i gave the "clutch test" a go in the morning and it seemed to creep forward when i put it in 5th and let of the clutch slowly without using the accelerator, the biting point is still high but it moved, also i put the handbrake up and dropped it into 1st and still the car tried to go forward but couldn't obviously because of the handbrake

so the clutch seems to be working but when driving around the revs don't really like to drop when i change up into a higher gear such as 3rd...very confusing

i think the clutch is operating but its slowly wearing away so it might still be worth me changing it soon...what do you think guys?

sorry for all the hassle and questions but thanks guys thumbsup.gif

the "clutch test" is only good in very very very very worn clutches, it won't help with your's.

and don't buy it from euro car parts for heavens sake, buy genuine toyota or nip to your local motor factor who'll happily supply an LUK kit.

right so my clutch isn't that worn then :) so it means its still drive able...another upside laugh.gif

so im going to avoid euro car parts now and try www.gsfcarparts.com, they say the clutch costs £66 on their online catalogue so is that going to be OK? plus they have a branch only a mile away from my house and i have used them before

also how much should i be looking at to pay for the fitting of the clutch?

thanks a bunch thumbsup.gif

Yeah its still driveable, £66 seems good who makes the clutch?

Fitting prob bout 5-6 hours depending on the garage.

thanks for the reply msprince :)

i don't know who makes or what brand the clutch is, on the gsf catalogue it just says that it costs £66

i guess i can find out by calling them and also if it is a LUK kit or something you guys were on about before?

5-6 hours isn't too bad i guess but i will ask around and see what prices i get for installation

but yeah thanks again and best of luck mate

p.s when are you planning to change yours?

£66 seems a bit cheap for LUK, having said that your engine is small than mine. it's your car/money so fit whatever you like, personally i wouldn't touch anything other than an LUK with a bargepole, as far as i know it's like going to get it from toyota themselves because LUK make clutches for toyota? dunno if that's true like...

After the new year, got my eye on a uprated clutch and lighter flywheel.

Just need to find the right one an fit it.

awesome man! im guessing its going to make the car bite a lot better and pull harder?

and obviously your going to fit it yourself? laugh.gif

£66 seems a bit cheap for LUK, having said that your engine is small than mine. it's your car/money so fit whatever you like, personally i wouldn't touch anything other than an LUK with a bargepole, as far as i know it's like going to get it from toyota themselves because LUK make clutches for toyota? dunno if that's true like...

true true...im confused.....what is LUK and how do i know a LUK clutch before i purchase it? sorry for sounding so stupid laugh.gif

awesome man! im guessing its going to make the car bite a lot better and pull harder?

Yeah it will rev easier as there less weight for the engine to spin but it can get really jerky when lifting off, the clutch will help when taking her down the 1/4 mile.

Aye im gonna do it myself.

Yeah it will rev easier as there less weight for the engine to spin but it can get really jerky when lifting off, the clutch will help when taking her down the 1/4 mile.

Aye im gonna do it myself.

its just going to affect everyday driving but im sure your going to get used to it after a while

all the best though mate thumbsup.gif

as i mentioned earlier i am most likely to buy my clutch from gsf car parts, however you guys mentioned something about LUK and i found this:

http://www.gsfcarparts.com/luk.html

so i guess it will be good if i buy the clutch from gsf then?

thanks guys :)

Yeah seems they will supply a luk clutch, which is good at that price.

Im sure the clutch will feel heavier and i will prob stall the car a few times lol a couple of weeks and i should get used to it.

Yeah seems they will supply a luk clutch, which is good at that price.

Im sure the clutch will feel heavier and i will prob stall the car a few times lol a couple of weeks and i should get used to it.

lol as long as your car is noticeably quicker then its all good :D

true true...im confused.....what is LUK and how do i know a LUK clutch before i purchase it? sorry for sounding so stupid laugh.gif

please don't take i'm thinking the p*ss cos i'm not: when you go to the supermarket and you need baked beans on your shopping list now you can buy the own brand beans in the can for like 33p per can, but you could go for the heinz beans at 80p per can.

in the same way when you go to the parts shop, and ask for a clutch they could sell you a cheaper make or they could sell you an LUK one. what i'm saying is go for the LUK one. just like cheaper beans may taste the same to some people, i think they are rank and only buy heinz ones. in the same way i'd only buy the LUK clutch cos i know it will be as close as possible or identical in feel/quality/'driveability' to a genuine toyota one.

You can tell it's LUK because it will say on the box and the box will have usually a yellow and black colour scheme (unless they changed recently).

I disagree on the beans, tesco beans taste good to me haha.

Luk supply many manfactures, so toyota clutches are prob just luk anyway.

Go for the luk.

Last time I did a clutch the box was yellow n black.