Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Estima Headlights Not Working.

madinnit1974

Hi I have got a 1995 2.2td Estima and last night the headlights decided not to work properly, I only have sidelights no dipped or main beam, I have checked the 2 fuses and also changed the relay ( although it is from a scrap yard but I didn't think it was a common thing for relays not to work ) but still nothing, I also do not get the blue light on the dash when I turn main beam on. any advice would be appreciated. Cheers Martin.. Another thing that I might have noticed was the lights would get brighter when I was driving not sure if this happened or it was my imagination didn't pay to much attention until they stopped working it only happened a couple of times.

Did you check it already?, First thing to do about this is to check the wires.

• 2 weeks later...

Does the dip relay click? If not you have probably had the 50 Amp fuse fail. If you have 12 volts on both sided of the bulbs then you may have an earthing problem in the main/dip switch assembly.

I'v included a wiring diagram to help. Have you checked the bulbs?

There will be an increase in brightness when the engine revs as the charging voltage rises to about 14 volts.

post-105328-0-98980600-1326488190_thumb.

• 6 years later...

Hi.

My 1994 Lucida (Estima) 2.2td. (Jap import), was doing a similar fault. 

The Side lights, low beam (mains) and flashers all worked fine, but if flicked over to high beam (dipped), all the headlights (not side lights)  would go off. 

Today, I traced it back to the steering coloum lights stalk unit, which I striped down and cleaned the lights switch contacts, and all is working again. 

I have photos and wiring information I've made notes on, whilst testing and tracing, that might help others with similar issue.

• 1 year later...

I have Developed the same problem on my 1996 Estima. I have eliminated fuses and relays as being the problem. When I put on main beam I get no headlamp other than side lights, but when I pull the flasher it works. Switch appears to be the culprit. I would appreciate copies of your notes etc. Please 

Bob Cross

• 2 years later...
On 2/7/2020 at 7:49 AM, RobertX said:

I have Developed the same problem on my 1996 Estima. I have eliminated fuses and relays as being the problem. When I put on main beam I get no headlamp other than side lights, but when I pull the flasher it works. Switch appears to be the culprit. I would appreciate copies of your notes etc. Please 

Bob Cross

Same problem. High beam doesnt work, but does when flash switch operated.

Correct drawing is posted previously. Refer to that drawing, (multifunction switch) for steering column plug connecters i shorted red yellow to white black and high beams work. Stalk switch fault. If i dont get the steering wheel off, Im going to parallel the switch with a c/o relay, as im guessing 10amp is a bit much for it over time, just need to find a appropriate lighting positive for the relay coil

Wondering how the flasher switch works though, thinking it has its own contacts

On 7/4/2022 at 9:41 PM, Nafferz said:

Wondering how the flasher switch works though, thinking it has its own contacts

Disc Battery, removed airbag, Took steering wheel off with puller. Removed stalk assembly, unscrewed switch block, unsoldered wires off switch, removed switch cover, noticed overheated normally closed contact, cleaned the normally closed contact with a strip of 600 sandpaper. Zero point zero zero ohms. Afterwards i thought maybe If you like a finnicky job you could leave steering wheel on and unscrew the switch block from the dash side of the stalk in place