Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bmw Diesel Engine For New Auris

adamc260

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/260565/

"A BMW diesel will first appear in a Toyota sometime during 2014, insiders have confided to Autocar, probably in the next-generation Toyota Auris. A BMW-powered Auris will be the first tangible evidence of a technology tie-up that will see Toyota share its EV Battery technology in exchange for access to BMW’s diesel knowledge.

The highly-competitive BMW diesel will raise the appeal of the Auris, which struggles to make an impact on rivals like the Ford Focus and VW Golf. And the Auris should also benefit from an increased focus on fresh styling and enjoyable driving dynamics, to be prioritised under the Global Vision 2020 Vision plan announced by Toyota boss Akio Toyoda earlier this year.

Toyota’s Global Vision 2020 Vision plan will also give TME much-greater control over the development of the Yaris, Auris and Avensis ranges that it produces in Europe. The facelifted Avensis is the first model influenced by this reorganisation and is also the first to use a new design language featuring a so-called ‘keen look’ front end, the car’s nose now looking more dynamic.

However, BMW has put limits on how far Toyota can go with its diesel engines and has barred Lexus from using the technology. In return, Toyota is understood to have put its hybrid technology off-limits, instead agreeing to share Battery technology with BMW.

Toyota and its partner Panasonic have a much-longer history of developing Battery technology, including newer lithium ion cells, than BMW"

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mistermena

• dervdave

• Daveyonthemove

• Red diesel

I dont know if BMW have hit the jackpot?

Toyota diesel engines maybe not refined as BMW but fine with reliabilty thats the whole purpose of buying a "Toyota"

I have heard & seen some horror stories with BMW diesel engines so I dont think il think twice of buying an Auris with a Bring More Worry

Know of a family members engine main dealer service history 1 week after warranty snap the timing chain

Turbo Swirl flaps known failure

Some may disagree not all are bad but you only need to look at the power surveys to see the difference of Toyota & BMW

Reliability list

Costly with BMW parts so im back to Honda when I switch...

I'm not so sure it will happen, Toyota are moving more towards a Hybrid in every model, the move is away from diesel, let alone putting somebody elses engine in

Kingo :thumbsup:

I'm not so sure it will happen, Toyota are moving more towards a Hybrid in every model, the move is away from diesel, let alone putting somebody elses engine in

Kingo :thumbsup:

Yep your probably right, diesel might have had its day, particularly urban driving ! :)

Someone posted this news a month or so ago IIRC. I did think it was odd given Toyota were scaling back their diesels in favour of hybrid systems. Maybe this is so they can continue to keep a toe in the diesel market without having to worry about developing their existing ones further...?

At this point in time, Toyota's small diesel engines are much better than BMWs, but the larger BMW diesels are better than Toyota's.

this is happening....toyota are trading their hybrid systems for bmw's diesel engines....was at the toyota event approx a month ago and it is happening

Great.

German crap in a Japanese car.

What idiot thought this was a good idea?

No where near as reliable as Toyotas diesel.

If this happens no more Toyota diesel for me.

Great.

German crap in a Japanese car.

What idiot thought this was a good idea?

No where near as reliable as Toyotas diesel.

If this happens no more Toyota diesel for me.

If they are a better than BMW engines,why are they replacing them,and why with Bmw Ones if they are inferior ones.

You must know soething that Toyota does not.

For many big manufacturers its all about numbers, they must be getting a good deal out of it in return risking their reliabilty unfortunatley thats the way some reputable firms are working now days.

A customer is just another number providing it sells, regardless of what customers think of the deal and it looks like Toyota will lose their "reliability" reputation, as mentioned before you only need to look at the reliability surveys!

Reuters reported the agreement as follows:

Toyota Motor Corp is teaming up with BMW AG in green car technology in a deal also aimed at shoring up the Japanese firm's European diesel car line-up just two years after a strategic shift away from diesel.The German premium car maker will supply diesel engines to Toyota from 2014 in Europe and the pair will collaborate on lithium-ion Battery research for electric cars.

Toyota executives said the discussions with BMW started in April as its European business sought to cover a weak flank in its diesel car line-up.

Toyota's decision to source diesel engines from BMW represents a reversal in strategy after it scrapped plans two years ago to develop 1.6-litre diesel engines with Japanese truck maker Isuzu Motors Ltd, in which it owns a 5.9 percent stake.

Two and a half years ago, President Akio Toyoda told his first news conference that Toyota would shift its focus in Europe to hybrids and away from diesel so as not to get "lost in the crowd."

But Toyota has lost market share in Europe, where diesel driven cars make up about 55 percent of sales. Diesel engines use less fuel and emit less carbon dioxide than gasoline engines.

In the first 10 months of this year, Toyota's sales in Europe fell 9.5 percent to about 430,000 vehicles, although that was partly due to supply constraints after the tsunami in Japan in March. After peaking in 2007, Toyota's sales have fallen in Europe, also hit last year by a major recall crisis.

Today's deal, announced at a news conference in Tokyo, comes as global automakers face ballooning research and development costs to meet tougher emissions and fuel-economy standards around the world.

This has accelerated cooperation deals among car makers, including Toyota and BMW's main rivals, Nissan Motor Co and Daimler AG, along with Nissan's French partner, Renault SA.

"Fundamentally we are both engineering companies, so in many aspects we have found we speak the same language," Toyota Motor Europe President and CEO Didier Leroy told the news conference.

Many alliances in the auto industry have ended in failure due to the clash of corporate cultures, such as a 2-year-old equity tie-up between another German-Japanese pairing, Volkswagen AG and Suzuki Motor Corp.

NO EQUITY EXCHANGE NOW

While virtually all carmakers acknowledge that hybrid technology will be more important commercially as regulations get stricter, it has never accounted for more than 2 percent of global vehicle sales and Toyota has not been able to leverage its strength in the technology to gain traction in Europe.

Toyota has diesel engines of its own, including 1.4 liter, 2.0 liter and 2.2 liter engines produced in Europe. But Toyota said it would start using BMW's 2.0 liter engine on one model first, in 2014, and expand the line-up thereafter.

The agreement to collaborate on next-generation lithium-ion batteries, meanwhile, will give BMW access to Toyota's long experience in the field. Toyota's R&D chief, Takeshi Uchiyamada, said the partners will divvy up the fields of research to speed up development and save costs.

Toyota and BMW have not discussed swapping equity but it could be considered, albeit some way into the collaboration.

Under Akio Toyoda, Toyota has forged numerous partnerships, including with Aston Martin, Tesla Motors Inc, Microsoft Corp, Salesforce.com and Ford Motor Co.

In February, BMW signed a deal with French carmaker PSA Peugeot Citroen, with which it already partnered on engines, for a hybrid technology joint venture.

Toyota shares rose 2.3 percent on Thursday in Tokyo, in line with gains in the benchmark Nikkei average.

I know some of you think it's a bad move but the BMW diesel engines really are good.

I'm not sure which ones toyota will use if this is true. The 320d for example is incredibly good on fuel and has plenty of power. It did have a higher turbo failure rate around 70k - 120k, but it wasn't a serious or common issue. The swirl flaps issue has also been cured and the DPF's and EGR's are solid for at least 120k. Automatics are the favourite as you do get clutch and flywheel problems, like any diesel manual over 100k.

I sold my T180 and bought a 335d which has been remapped to a dyno 347bhp now, it's nearly twice the power as my t180 never dyno-ed at 177bhp, it only achieved high 160's. However, the 335d diesel engine despite the power advantage and the fact it's an automatic, it consistently achieves better MPG than my T180 and would even do 50mpg+ on a steady m-way cruise. The highest ever recorded over 20 miles was 62mpg.

They are spectacular engines and the 330d is perhaps the best all rounder. I would defiantly welcome them to toyota.

I know some of you think it's a bad move but the BMW diesel engines really are good.

I'm not sure which ones toyota will use if this is true. The 320d for example is incredibly good on fuel and has plenty of power. It did have a higher turbo failure rate around 70k - 120k, but it wasn't a serious or common issue. The swirl flaps issue has also been cured and the DPF's and EGR's are solid for at least 120k. Automatics are the favourite as you do get clutch and flywheel problems, like any diesel manual over 100k.

I sold my T180 and bought a 335d which has been remapped to a dyno 347bhp now, it's nearly twice the power as my t180 never dyno-ed at 177bhp, it only achieved high 160's. However, the 335d diesel engine despite the power advantage and the fact it's an automatic, it consistently achieves better MPG than my T180 and would even do 50mpg+ on a steady m-way cruise. The highest ever recorded over 20 miles was 62mpg.

They are spectacular engines and the 330d is perhaps the best all rounder. I would defiantly welcome them to toyota.

Now the 335d is one hell of a engine! Twin Turbo's flying it must be a joy to drive! Gis us a go mate!:thumbsup::yahoo:

Now heres the thing though - you worry about BMWs diesel engine reliability, but would it not be possible

for Toyota engineers to test out the engines to high heaven and if issues araise they can then work with

BMW to fix them.

Say what you like about BMWs but their diesels get good miles to the gallon and low emissions, ive never driven one

but Beemer diesels have a reputation for being nice engines to drive.

2.0s with 184 bhp seem to work very well in a 5 series for both fuel and performance, now i don't like the more modern BMWs - the ones made from and including the E60 and E90 3 and 5 series.

But the diesel engines are outstanding by all accounts

Red diesel

Yes - other than the previously mentioned 320d's turbo failure at higher mileages, that engine is definitely superior to anything that Toyota has to offer. You only have to look at the woeful number of our own members with D4-D problems to realise why Toyota have done this. They will save money on development AND repair costs, in or out of warranty periods. There are obviously more than enough annoyed customers of 2.0 & 2.2's to justify this change. Who knows, maybe the big 'T' will fit their own turbos ? Going mostly hybrid is on a higher agenda here methinks.

Old Toyota Diesels, Yes, New ones, NO!

Bring on the Auris 330d! Or better still, 330d Hybrid! :D Now that would be nice...

Bring on the Auris 330d! Or better still, 330d Hybrid! :D Now that would be nice...

A 335d would be better with there twin turbos and a tuning box bolted on :thumbsup:

A 335d would be better with there twin turbos and a tuning box bolted on :thumbsup:

Lol ! Are you kidding ? It would rip the front wheels off or tax the VSC to death trying to keep up :lol:

BMW have an excellent reputation for powerful and efficient engines, so I doubt Toyota reliability would get worse. IMO, it would improve slightly.

I doubt they will put anything bigger than a 1.6 engine into a diesel hybrid as the torque would easily match the current 1.8 prius and coupled to the hybrid system it would probably offer 1/3 more economy.

Lol ! Are you kidding ? It would rip the front wheels off or tax the VSC to death trying to keep up :lol:

Yer!... But how much fun would have untill the engine blew up! :lol: :lol: :lol:

hi all, new to toyota new to the club

bought my 2.0 d4d sr auris two days ago, Reading a few posts now starting to regret it ( what have I bought) my auris 43k new toyota engine, just found out they have serious engine problems. no wonder main dealers are so agreeable to replace these motors without fuss, would destroy toyota if they were known for making unreliable, underpowered, thirsty rattly engines which it seems they do.

Traded in my 130 pd bora ror 2.0 d4d sr auris

vw quiet and refined v toyota rattly and course

vw 55mpg easy v toyota 42 mpg at a push

vw 100k plus v toyota 43k on first engine how long on the second?? beginning to wonder!!

What is the full story with these motors??

Am I going to regret my purchase??

can anybody reasure me??

VERY WORRIED

BMW motor in a toyota...bring it on

What is the full story with these motors?? Am I going to regret my purchase?? can anybody reasure me??

2.2d engines have the problems :huh:

Before we go too far off topic...

There was a report in Auto Car a couple of weeks ago stating that the 1.6 BMW diesel will be used by Toyota, I imagine it's the same engine that MINI use.

I think it was the engine borrowed from PSA/Ford, but i might be wrong.

If that is the case, then it won't be a BMW made engine, but an engine they use, but I would be surprised if that was he case, otherwise PSA/Ford would want the publicity?!

hi all, new to toyota new to the club

bought my 2.0 d4d sr auris two days ago, Reading a few posts now starting to regret it ( what have I bought) my auris 43k new toyota engine, just found out they have serious engine problems. no wonder main dealers are so agreeable to replace these motors without fuss, would destroy toyota if they were known for making unreliable, underpowered, thirsty rattly engines which it seems they do.

Traded in my 130 pd bora ror 2.0 d4d sr auris

vw quiet and refined v toyota rattly and course

vw 55mpg easy v toyota 42 mpg at a push

vw 100k plus v toyota 43k on first engine how long on the second?? beginning to wonder!!

What is the full story with these motors??

Am I going to regret my purchase??

can anybody reasure me??

VERY WORRIED

BMW motor in a toyota...bring it on

I wouldn't be to worried about it if its already had a new engine on it as your car has low milage and if (God forbid) it goes again then Toyota will put another one in! Cold comfort, but thats the was it is with these 2AD Polish built power units. The help maintain it I'd always run the car on Shell V-Power (Because of the debate on fuel) and use Mobil 1 ESP. Taking the car for an "Italian" tune up will help blow the !Removed! out of the EGR valve...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links