Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Interior Lights Too Dim

Galad

I have a 2007 Avensis which has been faultless since new but I've a few design niggles especially with the interior lighting. The courtesy lights, front and rear, are really too dim for this quality and size of car; the boot light is virtually useless. It is also disppointing that the electric window switches, steering wheel audio controls are almost impossible to see in the dark; the absence of illuminated switches for the door mirrors is very frustrating. By contrast, SWMBO's Corsa D has a much brighter interior lighting system and well lit switchgear. Pity about the reliability of Vauxhall electronics though......

Can I use more powerful bulbs for my courtesy lights and where can I source them please?

Cheers

I changed all mine to white LED "bulbs", plenty to choose from on eBay

I changed all mine to white LED "bulbs", plenty to choose from on Ebay

Thanks! I'll give them a try but it's a pity that Toyota can't get it right first time. It's also frustrating that almost all of the instrument lights are extinguished when the ignition is switched off, especially the clock, whne I'm sitting waiting for SWMBO to come out of the shops!

I couldn't agree more, I keep looking for a dimmer switch. Every other marque I've ever had as had adjustable cabin lights, this this T-Spirit model doesn't. I find it very hard to find the wing mirror adjust controls in the dark, no illumination at all.

Andrew

I couldn't agree more, I keep looking for a dimmer switch. Every other marque I've ever had as had adjustable cabin lights, this this T-Spirit model doesn't. I find it very hard to find the wing mirror adjust controls in the dark, no illumination at all.

Andrew

Ordered a set of 3 LED bulbs to try from Aceparts.com website which I haven't used before. One for the front and two for the rear courtesy lights. Not cheap though so expectations are high! Waiting for postie to deliver.

What are the interior lights like for the the new model Avensis? SWMBO drove my car last night for the first time and managed to lower all 4 electric windows and disable them with the auto locking button whilst trying to open the door mirrors and got stressed out before leaving the driveway!

I've never seen a car where the cabin lights were adjustable. Panel lights, yes & the Avensis (at least mine) has this.

Got to agree that the mirror & window controls could use illumination.

I've never seen a car where the cabin lights were adjustable. Panel lights, yes & the Avensis (at least mine) has this.

I always thought that the my mirror and widow bulb had blown! Thought I must get round 1 day to get it sorted out! But now I know I haven't got one. Not a very good idea Mr T :blink:

it's odd because the switches either side of the mirror controls are lit. :wacko:

& they put a light in the driver's window control but not the others ... :huh:

The Avensis shows a lot of care & attention in some parts of it's design & then stupid penny-pinching in other areas.

it's odd because the switches either side of the mirror controls are lit. :wacko:

& they put a light in the driver's window control but not the others ... :huh:

The Avensis shows a lot of care & attention in some parts of it's design & then stupid penny-pinching in other areas.

Hmmm I think you will find that the driver window light is on when other windows are disabled. When all windows are enabled they ALL light up (least they do in mine.

That said I fully agree about general dimness comments and lack of mirror switch lighting (in my opinion the biggest issue)

Quite correct, I was indeed referring to 'panel' lights. Although my interior cabin / door lights are also pretty poor tbh.

Andrew

.... and while on the subject of lighting, why do the headlights stay on (assuming it is dark) when the engine is turned off until the drivers door is opened? It would be more useful if they stayed on for about 30 seconds after the drivers door was opened and then closed. Anybody know if this can be changed with a tester gizmo plugged into the diagnostics socket?

Ordered 31mm festoon interior bulbs for my 2007 Avensis but when they were delivered they were too small for bulb holders!! :-(

What should I have ordered and where from?

iirc it's 35-37mm but you have the original to measure ...

& just to prove that theses things are personal I actually replaced mine with a dimmer, orange light. If I want a bright white light I use the map light.

Hmmm I think you will find that the driver window light is on when other windows are disabled. When all windows are enabled they ALL light up (least they do in mine.

after checking you are indeed correct. As you may guess as a rule I always drive with the other switches disabled (my other cars always let me disable the other door switches whilst usable from the driver's - imo preferable but again personal choice)

Ordered 31mm festoon interior bulbs for my 2007 Avensis but when they were delivered they were too small for bulb holders!! :-(

What should I have ordered and where from?

I bought several different sorts - not so easy to find as was a while back - these were one sort

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360333255565#ht_1756wt_952

NOTE 36mm LONG

This was another I used but is wider

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260699397937#ht_1401wt_952

and this is another I used

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360331617124&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:GB:1123#ht_1756wt_952

I changed all mine including the boot and the doors and I also put LED bulbs in the front sidelights

The brightest one went in the boot

You should select according to location - they can be too bright.

iirc it's 35-37mm but you have the original to measure ...

& just to prove that theses things are personal I actually replaced mine with a dimmer, orange light. If I want a bright white light I use the map light.

after checking you are indeed correct. As you may guess as a rule I always drive with the other switches disabled (my other cars always let me disable the other door switches whilst usable from the driver's - imo preferable but again personal choice)

Cheers mate. I've ordered one this time just to be sure! Appreciate your help.

.... and while on the subject of lighting, why do the headlights stay on (assuming it is dark) when the engine is turned off until the drivers door is opened? It would be more useful if they stayed on for about 30 seconds after the drivers door was opened and then closed. Anybody know if this can be changed with a tester gizmo plugged into the diagnostics socket?

Do you have a T27?

My T25 doesn't do this - the headlights will still be on until you switch them off or the Battery goes flat.

edit: unless it's a function of the auto setting which I never use?

will have to test that.

& indeed it proves so to be.

So, on manual the lights stay on when you switch the engine off & in auto they switch off.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links