Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Excessive Rusting On Brake Discs

jonny__g

Since i changed the brake discs and pads (all 4) last summer, i've noticed that after standing overnight, the first few presses on the brakes gives a bad grinding sound. today, i took a couple of pics of the brake assemblies and it seems to me that there is an awful amount of rust on them having just been sat for about 36 hrs. what do you think? is it to do with the disc brand etc? the brakes work very well once the surface rust has been worn off. just wondering are the discs damaged or faulty. IIRC they were just standard blueprint ones

IMAG0561.jpg

IMAG0560.jpg

thanks

JG

It is normal for discs to rust esp when left for 36hrs but the rear discs look like the pads only touches the centre of the discs surface.

Does the rear go shiny again or does it leave rust on the surface of the discs?

goes shiny again. its just i dont remember the set of discs and pads before replacement being that noisy or rusty after standing, although they were from Mr. T so maybe better quality?

that looks too rusty i wouldn't trust that brake assembly personally. it's probably the most expensive fix but new discs and pads and new slider pin kit and possibly a caliper overhaul is what i'd do depending on condition of the caliper. while they off the car paint them to stop rusting again? looks much nicer through the wheel too

They look awful and I wouldn't like to drive on them tbh. Especially if I need to do an emergency stop after driving off! I have MTEC on my Avensis and haven't driven the car for a week and mine have 95% less rust on them than those Blue Print ones!

do discs really rust this much sat for 3 days? i went on a 2 week holiday over the summer mine hardly rusted at all, although the car was garaged for the whole of this period. i'm using blueprint discs at the moment