Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Leak, Lights, Seats

zaffy

Hi all I have a few more issues which have re-occured and your help and advice would be very much appreciated.

Looking at the rear of the car there is water getting in on the nearside somewhere and I just cannot figure out where from.

Water has been getting in and has run along the side of the boot and under the rear seat which has now started to turn a little mouldy.

So I really need to find the source of the leaking water and to cure it and then to remove the rear seats and clean them up and dry them out.

So if anyone can offer advice or know what I should be doing then please please post, I would be very greatful.

Also I cannot figure out how to remove the rear light clusters to change a bulb???.

Regards Zaffy.

Sit in the car and have someone run a hose pipe (with a constant flow not using gun attatchment) onto the roof until you find the source of the leak.

Cant assist with the bulb issue.

the fault will be the rear boot vents....the seals go and leak water in

look behind the light you will see a 10mm nut remove this and the light will come out

My boot leak was cured by re-sealing the high level brake light.

two potential probs, i have had both

1 - the rear seal around the hatch needs replacing - MAKE SURE THEY PUT THE JOIN AT THE MIDDLE BOTTOM. ours was to the right and had come apart and let in loads of water. the replacement was done right with the join at the bottom

2- the rear light isn't tight in enough....to sort, and this is in the hand book, pull away the 'carpet'. there's a grey push clip near the top back of the seat and another clip by the hatch. take these out. then, there's a single nut holding the whole unit in. undo that, and undo the plug to the elctrics. the unit will then pop out the back whole - mine took some effort to take off, there are some locating pins that hold it snug.

to change the bulb, once you have the unit out you'll be able to work out how it comes apart....and see how it can let water in the boot. it is clipped together. make sure when you fit it back together that you get the rubberseal back in place....again you'll see what i mean.

the plastics are a bit brittle so be careful, if you have a garage then try and do it when it isn't so cold.

good luck, and look at the manual - it's all in there.

My boot leak was cured by re-sealing the high level brake light.

Exactly the same place where mine leaked, i had 2 small puddles of water either side of the boot and when i removed the high level brake light i could see where the water had run down into the boot, i simply removed the light, removed all the crappy gasket on the light and bought some thicker 3mm gasket from eBay and made a new one and fitted, that was over 2.5 years ago and still bone dry !!!

Another vote for high level brake light (we used to call them CHiMSeLs - Centrally High Mounted Stop Lights, back in the days when when we manufactured products in this country).

As mentioned simply unscrew and take a look, run your finger inside and you will feel if water is getting in. It's amazing just how much water will get in once the seal is gone, the boot will soon be soaked and go through to the rear seat cushion.

When I tried to reassemble mine after finding the leak, the screws didn't tighten as the gromet housings don't seem to perform as they should. I put a dab of silicon on each screw and tightened them as best I could then put a bead of silicon around the top edge of the light. During the last two weeks of torrential rain and wind the car has remained bone dry.

We did have another leak at the same time but this was a little more obvious. The rear window was falling out! The car is a 5 door and quarter light style rear window is glued at two points adjacent to the B-pillar and the top mount had come completely away. This was extremely dangerous especially during the high winds in recent weeks and this the car used for the school run. A temporary fix of strapping the window to the door bought some time to find a more permanent solution. After experimenting with 3 different glues/sealants I found Evo Stik Serious Glue appears to have done the trick, binds the glass to the metal mounts and is flexible enough to allow the window to be opened without breaking the bond (Epoxy was too brittle).

The best thing about the Aygo is that it is a simple car, so although things can go wrong, there is usually a simple fix.

Best of luck.

Regards, Neil

PS. Dried out the rear cushion with a hair dryer, seems to have done the trick.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links