Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Charliefarlies Guide To The Toyota 2Ad Diesel Engine And Its Issues.

CharlieFarlie

This guide is wriiten to hopefully answer most of the often asked questions about the 2AD 2.2 Diesel engine and its problems.

The Symptoms

Owners complain of the following;

Excessive oil consumption.

Coolant Water being blown out of the expansion tank and the colour sometimes turning darker in colour.

Excessive Fuel consumption.

Blocked or heavily sooted EGR valves

And of course cars going into limp mode or displaying fault codes relating to this engines issues.

Toyotas Answer.

Well Toyota really stepped up to the plate and offered an extended warranty which can be found in the following text taken from the TSB (Technical Service Bulletin)

"AD Engine Out of Warranty Guidelines (0730J)

We are pleased to advise that we have received more formalised guidelines from TME for the handling of AD engine problems on out of warranty vehicles. The coverage and processes are summarised below.

Conditions Covered

1) Oil consumption worse than 0.5 litre per 621 miles (1,000 km)

2) Overheating & Head Gasket failure due to carbon deposits on the pistons

For all other out of warranty conditions related to AD engine problems, where the customer complaint can be directly linked to a “carbon clogging” concern, i.e. EGR Valve, DPNR, 5th Injector, EGR Cooler, blocked manifold, etc., we would accept this as being linked to an oil consumption condition.

Vehicles Covered

Those vehicles fitted with AD diesel engines;

��Avensis with 1AD or 2AD (Prod. Date: Apr 2005 to Feb 2009)

��RAV4 with 2AD (Prod. Date: Jul 2005 to Dec 2008)

��Auris with 1AD or 2AD (Prod. Date: Sep 2006 to Sep 2009)

��Verso with 2AD (Prod. Date: Apr 2005 to Nov 2008)

Age / Mileage Covered

These guidelines cover vehicles up to 7 years old and 111,846 miles (180,000 km), whichever the sooner. This is conditional on there being a retail customer complaint and the vehicle having been reasonably maintained".

So what do I do if my car is displaying the above faults?

You should take Your car for inspection to your nearest Toyota Dealers. They will check your oil level and carry out all or any checks required by Toyota and read any stored fault codes. You will then be asked to take the car back to the dealer after approximately 1000 miles and the oil will be checked again to determine if its oil consumption is to great as in the TSB above.

So what happens next?

If it is deemed You engine is burning too much oil, is sooting the EGR valve or displaying any of the above related faults your engine will be replaced under the extended warranty.

What will be replaced?

The engine assembly in Toyota terms is a ¾ engine which is basically the whole engine from the sump up to the rocker cover. Up until mid 2011 engines were rebuilt by the Dealer but after this proved too time consuming and sometimes unsuccessful, engines were replaced as a ¾ assembly for economic reasons. Sometimes these replacement engines are reworked or remanufactured engines rebuilt in Japan. Sometimes the engines are brand new.

The following will or may be replaced during the procedure.

EGR valve.

Injectors including the 5th injector.

Catalytic convertor.

DFP filter (Diesel Particulate Filter).

The engine oil of course and the coolant .

Air conditioning will be re gassed.

The procedure for and during replacement

Well I will explain what my experience was......

Once the car was diagnosed and the engine replacement was approved I took the car into the Dealer who kindly supplied me with a free courtesy car. 2 days later I was called and informed my car was ready for collection. I was given a work sheet detailing what had been done and the new engine number. Note: It is the owners responsibility to inform the DVLA of the change.

The differences between old and new engine.

The new engine is much quieter. Fuel consumption is far better than before.

Consider also;

If You are having a new engine fitted under warranty, consider having a new clutch assembly fitted while the engine is out. There will normally be no labour charge for this as there is no increased labour as all these parts are stripped out during replacement. It would otherwise cost in the region of £1200 (should it become necessary) for a clutch replacement on a RAV4 but less on an Auris, Avensis or Verso.

I hope this answers most of the questions. If I have made any mistakes please PM Me and I will correct....

Charlie.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Now that post should be made a sticky :yes:

I think that was the plan.. It has been mentioned a time or two before that it might be a way of answering one if not the most asked question on this Forum.

I expect Don will see it later so We will see.. I may have made slight errors and will correct the text if anyone can add or correct what I have written. But best done by PM to keep this thread tidier ??

Charlie.

• Like 1

Well done Charlie for doing this :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Gotta be a "Pinned" one Anchs... I'd also like to take this oppertunity to put forward Charlie as our next Prime Minister of this wonderful country :yes::in_love::blushing::clap::driving::king::naughty: :help2: :yahoo::toast:

One BIG thanks Charlie! :thumbsup::toast:

Clean, evident and very useful information.

Jozsef

Excellent post Charlie and am so glad you put in the bit about having the Clutch replaced at the same time (a true cost-saving measure)

Regards Clare

Excellent post Charlie and am so glad you put in the bit about having the Clutch replaced at the same time (a true cost-saving measure)

Regards Clare

That wee post took Me half the morning... My first attempt was just about the same but when I had finished typing it ( Im a very slow one fingered typist ) and pressed the post button the site threw the usual wobbly and I lost the lot !!!

Cooooorrrr . I didn't half swear .................. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

I think I taught Myself a few new words ..... :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Regards Clare

That wee post took Me half the morning... My first attempt was just about the same but when I had finished typing it ( Im a very slow one fingered typist ) and pressed the post button the site threw the usual wobbly and I lost the lot !!!

Cooooorrrr . I didn't half swear .................. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

As others have said Charlie, excellent post :thumbsup:

To prevent same thing happening with stuff disapearing up the swannee in future use Anch's tip and type up in word then just copy and paste into the posting frame [i also keep a copy for future reference to save searching at a later date]

That way you won't need those new words again :thumbsup:

Regards Clare

As others have said Charlie, excellent post :thumbsup:

To prevent same thing happening with stuff disapearing up the swannee in future use Anch's tip and type up in word then just copy and paste into the posting frame [i also keep a copy for future reference to save searching at a later date]

That way you won't need those new words again :thumbsup:

Now thats a good idea Dave, and well done Charlie for putting that together, maybe your next quest should be the runflat issue :toast::toast::toast::thumbsup: Stew

well done Charlie for putting that together, maybe your next quest should be the runflat issue :toast::toast::toast::thumbsup: Stew

I think Charlie's well and truly sorted that one Stew - he's had the snip :eek:

well done Charlie for putting that together, maybe your next quest should be the runflat issue :toast::toast::toast::thumbsup: Stew

Ouch!!! :blink: :arrgg-matey: :sick::alien::bag::boxed: :lol2:

Nah I aint Dave I still have My B....B.......Runflats on the original wheels in the Garage !! Hoping some one will take them from Me before they do get the snip though ..... I have petrol for the Sthil saw ...... :yahoo: :yahoo:

Nah I aint Dave I still have My B....B.......Runflats on the original wheels in the Garage !! Hoping some one will take them from Me before they do get the snip though ..... I have petrol for the Sthil saw ...... :yahoo: :yahoo:

THESEaren't yours then Charlie........

Looks like a nice set of rims :thumbsup:

No Mate . My car is say on a new set of wheels fitted with Vredestien winter tyres. The original set of wheels are in the garage awaiting the tyres to either get swapped out and sold or cut off and skipped so I can fit all weather or summer tyres early spring time.

I have PMd that link to Hoovie as that set may be of interest to Him.. Nice find Mate !!!

Charlie.

Excuse my ignorance, but my Rav's a 2007 2.2 D4D. Is it therefore an AD engine as mentioned above?

Also why would some engines be effected and not all? Obviously I applaud Toyota giving this warranty, but I suppose they're not going to automatically change all the engines!!

Dave

PS just started to notice a slight loss in coolant level, not investigated further yet, but could that be related?

Excuse my ignorance, but my Rav's a 2007 2.2 D4D. Is it therefore an AD engine as mentioned above?

Also why would some engines be effected and not all? Obviously I applaud Toyota giving this warranty, but I suppose they're not going to automatically change all the engines!!

Dave

PS just started to notice a slight loss in coolant level, not investigated further yet, but could that be related?

I believe that its the same engine AFAIK. Get down to Mr T if I was you and get the coolant loss looked at! If there are any white splatter markes on the engine cover or a black tinge to your coolant then this is one of the tell tail signs that the head gasket could be going along with coolant loss! Have you noticed any weep from the water pump at all?. Also if your cabin heater doesnt warm the cab up and a girggling noise from behind the dash.How's the engine temp guage?

Dave

Yes it is the same engine.... Why some and not others ???

Well I had a very lengthy conversation with a very experienced service Manager over this very question.....

He says.. Toyota's 2AD engine is not capable of tolerating the sometimes and often found very poor quality diesel fuels We have in the UK. In other country's where the fuel quality is better this problem We are encountering here in the UK is not or is very rarely experienced...

So Those Who have used higher quality fuel like Shell V Power or BP Ultimate diesel for instance or have mostly fed their cars a diet of these higher quality fuels may never have a problem...

But please bear in mind this is one Mans opinion and a subject We could argue the toss about all day..

He also pointed out that because of design weaknesses Toyota adopted the very generous engine replacement policy..

I now run My cars both the Rav4 and the Jaguar XF on the above mentioned high quality fuels.........

Charlie.

• Like 1

The UK has some of the best quality fuels in the world??? I Think that service manager was pulling your chain charlie.

The UK has some of the best quality fuels in the world??? I Think that service manager was pulling your chain charlie.

Comparatively speaking the UK does have some of the best quality diesel in the world :yes:

Well like I said Mate We could argue all day about that one and one maybe for another thread ??

There is no way the Guy was jesting that's for sure.. He firmly believed that its related to the AD engine issues...

Its maybe a flawed idea but Its the only contributing factor that I have heard so far ...

Charlie.

5w30 rat pee oils maybe?

UK fuel is not good enough for the Toyota AD engines??

More like AD engines are fundemently floored, roll on BMW. ;-)

5w30 rat pee oils maybe?

UK fuel is not good enough for the Toyota AD engines??

More like AD engines are fundemently floored, roll on BMW. ;-)

I think its a case of the 2AD engines not being up to the fuel in the UK .... If that is the fact as pointed out by said Service Manager then its a design fault with the engine that is / was to be sold in the UK. And that is why Toyota has put up their hands and are replacing the engines.. Or at least that is what was pointed out to Me.....

I dont know about the quality of the UK fuels compaired to the rest of the World. But I remember when I was doing a self build house that I wanted a Viessman boiler with a "Blue Angle" burner that ran on 35 sec diesel, but it wasn't avaliable here in the UK (With that burner) because the fuel wasn't to the standards of countries like Germany and Switzerland! So I'm guessing that our fuel (Apart from Shell V-Power/BP Ultra) is sub standard in some way! What I'd like to know is if this is the case (Even now) then why is it so? Is it the case of "Rip off Britain" as it is for some new car prices? And we make do with what we're given?...

• Like 1

I dont know about the quality of the UK fuels compaired to the rest of the World. But I remember when I was doing a self build house that I wanted a Viessman boiler with a "Blue Angle" burner that ran on 35 sec diesel, but it wasn't avaliable here in the UK (With that burner) because the fuel wasn't to the standards of countries like Germany and Switzerland! So I'm guessing that our fuel (Apart from Shell V-Power/BP Ultra) is sub standard in some way! What I'd like to know is if this is the case (Even now) then why is it so? Is it the case of "Rip off Britain" as it is for some new car prices? And we make do with what we're given?...

I do not want to get involved in this argument, I run my car on V power or standard fuel with a shot of Millers additive, however i work every day with 1100, cab drivers i do not know any who use super fuels, more common is Asda Tesco, Morrisons, or wherevers cheapest, the cabs have engines by Nissan, ford, VM (chrysler) Toyota, mercedes, and even BMC, cabs do 50,000 a year on average, My own 07 plate has done 243000, and has never had any ehgine part replaced, my other cab 04 reg has done 297000, but had its engine replaced at 245000 miles however it has its original pump and injectors, My mate has an early Toyota engine now aproaching 500,000 miles and had no major parts, so i am sorry, but there is nothing wrong with our fuel, maybe the problem is over pampering our cars, Charlie, i believe you once ran a fleet of Transits :unsure: The ford duratorque engine is not a very good engine, my bet is you didn.t run them on super diesel, but I also bet you were not replacing them at 20/30/50k.. our engines have a fault which Toyota are kindly putting right for us and many thanks to them and i commend them, but it is NOT the quality of our fuel :( Stew