Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Charliefarlies Guide To The Toyota 2Ad Diesel Engine And Its Issues.

CharlieFarlie

I hope this thread will not end up locked, like the other 2.2 AD thread, now Charlie isn't here to keep it on topic!

Simon.

;)

• Like 1

Or was there a touch of sarcasm ...

Not on my behalf there wasnt, I had no idea

• Like 2

Mr T phoned this afternoon and said the car was ready but they want to do another oil consumption check.

Simon.

I hope this thread will not end up locked, like the other 2.2 AD thread, now Charlie isn't here to keep it on topic!

Simon.

;)

Keep it on topic and it will be fine...

• 2 weeks later...

I live in France and own a French-registered LHD 2007 Verso with 150,000kms which recently broke down as a result of a clogged EGR valve. It has been serviced on schedule from new by Toyota. My local dealer has pointed out a slight leak which he says is the water pump seal. Can't say I've noticed any of the other symptoms mentioned in the bulletin though. My question is this - it looks like my vehicle is one of those affected and covered by this extended warranty, so is this warranty good for the rest of the EU? How can I find out if there's a French version of the document to take into my dealer?

Would have thought that quoting the guidelines reference - 'AD Engine Out of Warranty Guidelines (0730J)' - would be sufficient for the dealer to access a French version.

However if you look at post 18 of this topic, not sure whether it is a UK problem.

I think you miss on the warranty based on mileage, if you are not using oil then you have no claim

I think you miss on the warranty based on mileage, if you are not using oil then you have no claim

150000 kilometres is 93,000 miles so it is within the warranty mileage isn't it?

Simon.

Copied from post number 1 - Age / Mileage Covered

These guidelines cover vehicles up to 7 years old and 111,846 miles (180,000 km), whichever the sooner. This is conditional on there being a retail customer complaint and the vehicle having been reasonably maintained

• 3 weeks later...

The warranty is international but this vehicle doesn't meet the criteria. Unless oil consumption is excessive - it's not the cause of EGR system blockage. Build ups will occur in the EGR over a period of time particularly if supermarket type diesel is used. (Cetane number of diesel in France is lower than in the UK)

I have a nearly 3 year old Rav 4 2.2 diesel. Last week I took it in to investigate warning light showing low engine oil, only days after I had paid £16 for replacement engine oil following a free fluids check. I was shocked to be told the pistons and rings needed replacing.

My car is now in shop having engine rebuild, no charge to me ie under warranty.

This sound remarkably like the problem you have had - Do I have the same issue or a new one??????

Is it a 150bhp ? Never thort thay had problems with these engines ?

If its the older ending yes big problems thay sould be changing the engine ?

I am not sure, I need to find the paprerwork- sadly I think it is still in the car which is in the workshop....

If you got indicator lights in the mirrors it's the newer engine 150bhp ! Sad 2 think thay may have problems with this engine 2 ( coz I got 1) hope you get it sorted !

• 4 weeks later...

my 2.2 d4d 2008 t-spirit corolla verso 50k miles has just been in for a service.

I have been informed coolant was low and my water pump is leaking and I should get it replaced, should I be very very worried?

my 2.2 d4d 2008 t-spirit corolla verso 50k miles has just been in for a service.

I have been informed coolant was low and my water pump is leaking and I should get it replaced, should I be very very worried?

Our various RAV 4.2's got regular "your water pump is weeping, Sir" at every MoT & service although they never needed coolant top-ups between services. I only changed a water pump once on a RAV and that was precautionary when the serpentine belt was being replaced anyway.

If you are checking oil, water, brake fluid, tyre pressures, etc. weekly (& in my opinion that is an essential discipline) then you will spot any significant oil or coolant usage. If there isn't any then I wouldn't worry about the water pump weeping. To paraphrase my dealer, "They all do that, Sir".

thanks a lot for that Firemac and there was me about to Shell out for a waterpump, your advice is sound. I will just keep an eye on the levels and stop panicking, (there car was practically on auto trader after reading this thread !).

@jakethepeg - I really don't want to worry you but I would get the car checked out by Toyota as it likely still falls within their good will engine replacement warranty. I think it was ormi (Toyota mechanic) on here that the water pump leaking could be due to excess pressure in the cooling system (which is an indicator of head gasket failure) which is fairly common on 2.0 and 2.2 AD engines which your car being 2008 falls into affected years.

@blackcts taa mate, I have contacted toyota about it and are getting it checked out. Better to be safe than sorry !

Happy days, likely it's fine...but no point in replacing the water pump only for a temporary fix and the car shafting you with head gasket failure when it's out of the good will warranty! That said it could just be a faulty water pump but you are definitely doing the thing getting Toyota to check it. I'd also let them know that you are concerned about the head gasket failure! What service history/miles are on the car?

Happy days, likely it's fine...but no point in replacing the water pump only for a temporary fix and the car shafting you with head gasket failure when it's out of the good will warranty! That said it could just be a faulty water pump but you are definitely doing the thing getting Toyota to check it. I'd also let them know that you are concerned about the head gasket failure! What service history/miles are on the car?

Sorry, Jake, but I thought that, as you said the water pump issue arose during a service, that it was a Toyota dealer who had made the comment. blackcts is of course correct that it is imperative to get Mr.T to check it out so that any entitlement to the goodwill extended warranty is secured.

Good luck.

hi

it was a toyota dealer who made the comment about the waterpump.

the car has full service history on it and has only done 50k, (just hitting that this weekend).

I purchased it last year, from a toyota dealership.

hi

it was a toyota dealer who made the comment about the waterpump.

the car has full service history on it and has only done 50k, (just hitting that this weekend).

I purchased it last year, from a toyota dealership.

That's good - it's been in the Toyota "system" so there should be no problems if the goodwill provisions need to kick in. Mind you, the dealer should have looked at it from the point of view of the goodwill extension, i.e without you having to chase them up. However, it seems thst some dealers are more switched on (honest??) than others.

As I was told by a dealer . . . It has to come from a customer complaint . . . I.e Is it supposed to use that much oil?

If you don't ask it never gets looked at

Well...

It's been quite a while since I've been on the forum! Has me mate Charlie really been banned? Don... send us a text if you still have me number. Gonna text Charlie tomz. I see the fun and games still go on with the 2AD engines! Ffs :(

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links